Not connected, Your IP: 18.206.12.31
greenclaydog

What a Mars server may look like in the very distant future

Just a concept for what a Mars server, although 99.9% impossible in the next century. Just something i whipped up to get a feeling for what Martian internet might look and feel like provided the Internet does not undergo any major changes. 

Future.jpg

Google.jpg

Hello!

Nice. But the question remains, would a Mars server still be outside the reach of Trumps little porky sausage fingers? Haha!

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hi!

I'm pretty sure by the time there are commercial VPN servers on Mars, IPv4 will be completely obsolete!

Hi!

I'm pretty sure by the time there are commercial VPN servers on Mars, IPv4 will be completely obsolete!

And probably IPv6 as well to be honest. 

Based on an Earth to Mars distance of 200,000,000 miles, data traveling at the speed of light will take 20 minutes to reach Mars.

There is no way to make this go any faster as it is the fastest speed in the universe.

Add the return speed of 20 minutes to it and you have an rtt value of 40 minutes just for a simple thing as ping.

Here is a nice video explaining it:

youtube.com/watch?v=5sfPjOtzLn4

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Based on an Earth to Mars distance of 200,000,000 miles, data traveling at the speed of light will take 20 minutes to reach Mars.
There is no way to make this go any faster as it is the fastest speed in the universe.
Add the return speed of 20 minutes to it and you have an rtt value of 40 minutes just for a simple thing as ping.

I know it's extremely impractical. No one from Earth will ever be able to VPN to Mars without a server with a faked IP address on Earth. I was just making something conceptual.

Personally i think websites will have their own hosting on Mars that way the ping times will be lower, but will only recieve updates from Earth every 40+ minutes. 

Actually there have been reports of scientists being able to manipulate things like neutrinos, to go faster, as well as light to go slower, by shooting the light through a cloud of supercooled gas or such I think .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

"This has been shown to occur even when the measurements are performed more quickly than light could travel between the sites of measurement: there is no lightspeed or slower influence that can pass between the entangled particles.[6] Recent experiments have measured entangled particles within less than one hundredth of a percent of the travel time of light between them.[7] According to the formalism of quantum theory, the effect of measurement happens instantly" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave

When first we practise to deceive!"

what about quantumn entanglement based VPN

what about quantumn entanglement based VPN

Where is my flying car? We were all supposed to be flying around and using jetpacks by now according to bullshit I read in the morning paper sixty years ago.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Neat? A pair of quantum entangled particles would cost more than most nations are worth, and any spy agency would very literally kill to get their hands on them. No thanks. Until it becomes easy to make such things, I have no desire for QEPs.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

what a buzzkill

Would you prefer I say you do not need encryption at all because no-one wants to spy on you? Nah. This forum exists because of people who believe our privacy is at least at risk.

Reality is always a buzzkill.

To be fair, the computer you are using right now would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars just 40 years ago.

I'm not saying that it can be done, i just do not think we should immediately discredit new ideas as being too expensive or otherwise impossible to do, because humanity has managed to make a few surprises before.

This applies to just about any new crazy idea out there. As you can imagine some are more realistic than others.