Not connected, Your IP: 54.210.83.20
DiSH

ANSWERED AirVPN from China... not working

I'm trying out the trial, as i hear good things about AirVPN but so far its not working for me.

I can get it to connect but default DNS does not work, and after a while the connection times out and drops.

If i set put OpenDNS's servers in Eddie, then atleast i can resolve DNS.

But the speed doesnt go over a few B/s, sometimes the AirVPN webpage can load.

I probably need to obfuscate my vpn traffic, but i expected such features to be included into the client.

s there anyone here, connecting from China?

AirVPN_20161208.txt

i expected such features to be included into the client

They are. You should connect using SSL/SSH tunnels, it will work.

Yes, I was trying to use all the OpenVPN options which didnt work (i normally use ovpn with my other vpn service)

Right after posting my issue here i tried SSH which is working fine.. so bad of me.

I wanted to update my post to say its resolved, thx for the quick reply though

I'm trying out the trial, as i hear good things about AirVPN but so far its not working for me.

I can get it to connect but default DNS does not work, and after a while the connection times out and drops.

If i set put OpenDNS's servers in Eddie, then atleast i can resolve DNS.

But the speed doesnt go over a few B/s, sometimes the AirVPN webpage can load.

I probably need to obfuscate my vpn traffic, but i expected such features to be included into the client.

s there anyone here, connecting from China?

Out of curiosity, now that you can establish a connection, what performance are you able to get out of China? I would assume it would be slow, but with Antares (Singapore) only being 30ms or so away i wonder how well it performs and what about servers in Hong Kong? i would suppose they are the fastest for you. I could be wrong, but i would like to find out. 

I am increasingly finding that I can't connect, get connection resets, timeouts, authorization failures, or that I can't get server updates. I also frequently find that although I'm connected I can't get any data through the connection. Not even pings go through despite Eddie showing a connection. I've tried SSL and SSH connections. SSH seems to be the worst for this. I'm actually accessing the site via a VPN on a private server I have (not always reliable, though). I'll attach a log file from just now.

I'm using the Linux version of the Eddie client here in China. This is not the only VPN I've run into problems with. My private server is running SoftEther and that often connects with no trouble if I use the SoftEther protocol. L2TP/IPSec is hit or miss and I often lose the connection. I'm usually able to connect with a competing VPN service, but I don't know that I trust them as much as AirVPN.

AirVPN_20161224_181942-CannotConnect.txt

I am increasingly finding that I can't connect, get connection resets, timeouts, authorization failures, or that I can't get server updates. I also frequently find that although I'm connected I can't get any data through the connection. Not even pings go through despite Eddie showing a connection. I've tried SSL and SSH connections. SSH seems to be the worst for this. I'm actually accessing the site via a VPN on a private server I have (not always reliable, though). I'll attach a log file from just now.

I'm using the Linux version of the Eddie client here in China. This is not the only VPN I've run into problems with. My private server is running SoftEther and that often connects with no trouble if I use the SoftEther protocol. L2TP/IPSec is hit or miss and I often lose the connection. I'm usually able to connect with a competing VPN service, but I don't know that I trust them as much as AirVPN.

Hello!

The Beta client may work better on Linux, even if your distro version doesn't use Mono 4. Do make sure you're not trying to sign into more than the alloted 3 devices, when you get authorization issues . I think it can be hit or miss as well, depending on if you use Network Lock or not.

@Agent Smith

It doesn't necessarily go to Singapore or HK actually. One may in fact end up connecting to Canada ^^ and thus incur a 100-250ms, according to a friends reports.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you've done anything with Android or iOS clients?

When I visit [family and friends] in China, I only take my phone (Android for me and iOS for the mrs). Previously I used expressvpn for her, but I prefer airvpn as the encryption is industry-leading. Would like to know how to setup correctly before next visit.

Thanks in advance gents.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you've done anything with Android or iOS clients?

When I visit [family and friends] in China, I only take my phone (Android for me and iOS for the mrs). Previously I used expressvpn for her, but I prefer airvpn as the encryption is industry-leading. Would like to know how to setup correctly before next visit.

Thanks in advance gents.

There's guides in the how-to section :].

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks LZ1 but I was more after knowing which VPN config actually works in China. I can set up 50 different profiles, but it'd be good to know which ones are known to work.

Cheers

Hi laowai,

Singapore works 99.99% of the time.  Hong Kong works the majority of times, but sometimes it is hard to get a connection.  As a fall back I use the United States, but it is slower.

Be sure to use the Advance Mode -> Resolved hosts in .ovpn file.

I use the Direct, protocol UDP, port 443 for all connections.

For Hong Kong the Direct, protocol UDP, port 443 (Alternative Entry-IP) seems to work better.

Hi laowai,

Singapore works 99.99% of the time.  Hong Kong works the majority of times, but sometimes it is hard to get a connection.  As a fall back I use the United States, but it is slower.

Be sure to use the Advance Mode -> Resolved hosts in .ovpn file.

I use the Direct, protocol UDP, port 443 for all connections.

For Hong Kong the Direct, protocol UDP, port 443 (Alternative Entry-IP) seems to work better.

Hi bigshotfatcat,

I'm trying since a few days to get decent speeds in China, but so far I'm failed (I'm completely new to the VPN world).

With your posted settings I could get the best speeds (around 0.5M) so far albeit being still far away from the promised 4M.

- Do you use Network Lock?

- I can't find the Advance Mode -> Resolved hosts in .ovpn file..There is nothing stated in the advanced tab in Eddie in the preferences.

- I also can only find one Port 443 and no alternative?  - For Hong Kong the Direct, protocol UDP, port 443 (Alternative Entry-IP) ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

With your posted settings I could get the best speeds (around 0.5M) so far albeit being still far away from the promised 4M.

Promised by whom? If you are talking about the guaranteed allocated bandwidth in our Terms of Service of 8 Mbit/s, we keep that promise. This is a very strong guarantee against overselling and it is a warranty that's not offered by any of our competitors. However, it says nothing about actual performance on YOUR network and on any network between your node and our nodes. Nobody on the Internet can promise any performance when data pass through not owned network, that you don't even know in advance. That's so obvious and trivial that it's surprising that a guaranteed allocation of bandwidth can suggest that we have supernatural, divine powers that can break laws of physics, but thanks anyway, it looks like our reputation is growing. :D

Kind regards

Just purchased this software this afternoon and spent hours on how to setup the Eddie Client.

I've tried all the SSH/SSL protocols, but still failed to pass the great wall in China.

Now I am posting this with the roaming provider's expensive program.

Anything else could help for setup? Thanks!

Just purchased this software this afternoon and spent hours on how to setup the Eddie Client.

I've tried all the SSH/SSL protocols, but still failed to pass the great wall in China.

Hours on setup? It's only a matter of downloading, installing and then launching the program. Whereby you can then use Network Lock, try out different servers and protocols. Remember you need to reconnect to a server after changing protocol. But you may also have to use Tor or other tools.