Not connected, Your IP: 18.116.63.236
Sign in to follow this  
chaiz

ANSWERED DNS fails resolv.conf not updated

I am running Debian Stretch. I am connecting via the Linux Command line procedure:

In two separate terminals I execute:

/AirVPN_America_SSH-22.sh

sudo openvpn "AirVPN_America_SSH-22.ovpn"

The VPN connection is working but DNS is not working. Searching other forums the /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf is suppose to update the DNS. Openvpn startup reports the following:

[server] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:1412
 SENT CONTROL [server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1)
 PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp,dhcp-option DNS 10.50.0.1,comp-lzo no,route-gateway 10.50.0.1,topology subnet,ping 10,ping-restart 60,ifconfig 10.50.3.138 255.255.0.0'

The dhcp-option DNS does not appear to work. If I manually edit resolv.conf to use 10.50.0.1 then DNS works fine. Does anyone know of a fix for Debian that will have the update-resolv-conf script run properly?

https://github.com/masterkorp/openvpn-update-resolv-conf

Thanks

The VPN connection is working but DNS is not working. Searching other forums the /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf is suppose to update the DNS.

Not on systemd based systems like yours. The script you're using will work only on initd based systems.

Use Eddie (only 2.11.x beta, because 2.10.3 is not compatible with Mono 4) or see here about the issue, as specified in our "How-To":

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenVPN#DNS

Kind regards