Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.90.217

Hey all,

So I've been noticing some lag when doing routine browsing & connected to various online chat portals (i.e. my University's online portal) and have run some packet tests with pingtest.net.

I'm consistently getting a D rating with the VPN on across different servers here in Canada, with a 6-10% packet loss on average.

What's up? ISP problem or Air VPN / client problems?

thanks in advance.

Hello!

Have you tried different servers and protocols? Especially SSL protocols.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

Have you tried different servers and protocols? Especially SSL protocols.

Hi Boss, I haven't had much time to test things out over the last few days (working full time and school full time w/ finals coming up) but am fairly convinced it's a carrier issue.  I contacted my provider Acanac and they said Distributel had been working on some things over the last few weeks, but that things would clear up soon.  That remains to be seen however  I do have another question though.

Sorry for the noob question, but what exactly makes one server faster than another if the loads on both are equally low?  I.e. I was connected to Arkrab and getting only 10 Mbps down, but close to full speed @ 25Mbps down at Tyl.  They both have small server loads and quick latency tests, but Tyl is significantly faster. 

Is there any way of knowing which ones are performing well without connecting to each one individually to test?

thanks again!

Haha, first time someone calls me Boss around here. It's undeserved, but thanks lol.

What platform are you on and are you using the Eddie client? Supposing you're on the current stable 2.10 release, there's some troubleshooting information in my guide. Alternatively, you can try to install the Experimental version. Do also check ipleak.net to make sure everything is in order - you should only see Airs IP addresses.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I don't care what level they are.

Lots of things factor in when it comes to speed. It can often come down to what connections your ISP/Carrier has and thus that can impact which speeds you get. Thus geographically close servers aren't automatically best either. Likewise protocol choice can make a difference. If you use SSL for instance, you can expect things to go a bit slower. While even if you use the recommended UDP protocol, it may be that your ISP partially blocks or filters it on a given port or does other things they shouldn't be doing; hence one of the reasons why there's different ports for the same protocols and you should experiment . You can whitelist the servers which perform the best for you.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.