Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.134.4
Sign in to follow this  
CCpm

Keep PC online when VPN disconnects

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with an issue please? I have a PC running at a remote location using the OpenVPN client with AirVPN servers configured through the Configuration Generator. I only have physical access to this PC maybe once a week but I regularly access it through Teamviewer.

The problem I'm having is that when the VPN drops, I lose all access to the PC so I have to go to the remote location and disconnect the client and reconnect it at the PC in person. This can happen a few times a week. Is there any way to force the PC to revert to the native interface when the VPN drops so that I can remote in and reconnect to the VPN without having to physically be there?

Thanks in advance

v11.0.66695.0 teamviewerqs.exe for the remote user is the latest.

Wondering if your remote PC has it yet ?

The QS (Quick Start) version, doesn't need to be installed. https://download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS_en.exe

Earlier versions weren't good at recovery if unexpected disconnects occurred.

I use it to help my pensioner friends and about the only reconnect problem the latest version seems to suffer is when Windows goes into it's long winded reboot procedure after an update. 

Don't let governments or politicians take your privacy or freedom away from you.

They will if you let them, once they are elected ! many politicians forget,..in a democracy, they are elected By the people for the people, not the other way round !  "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell 

Thanks for the reply huntsman.

Yeah that is the version I'm using but I don't think the problem is with Teamviewer itself. When the VPN drops (i.e. the icon goes from green to yellow), I lose all internet access until I disconnect and reconnect the client. This wouldn't be a problem if I had physical access to the machine. Maybe I might look into binding Teamviewer to the native interface...

I suppose another way of asking this question is; can the client be configured to disconnect automatically when the VPN drops, rather than stopping all network access until the VPN is manually disconnected?

Are you using Network Lock? If so, that's what is causing this. Turn off network lock if you want programs on your computer to be able to access the Internet even if VPN drops.

Hi Khariz,

No I'm not using network lock, didn't think that was even available on the OpenVPN client?

Cheers

Just a thought..

Teamviewer is encrypted with ssl/tls as well as AES256 I think. Haven't checked it recently tho !

It's as good as any VPN in my opinion. Not criticizing AIr it's the best in my opinion.

So I always disconnect eddie when ever I need to provide support for my users. That way it seems to me the VPN doesn't get in the way if the client is disconnected, even tho staff have assured me eddie is fully compatible with Teamviewer. Maybe Windows 10 (latest update) Remote Assistance, might be another option. I haven't tried it yet !

A situation AIr cannot handle is the WIndows Shutdown, Hibernation and Sleep procedures, which would also occur if the client loses power.. Staff have informed me there is no WIndows API access to these routines, which is why Eddie must be shut down before Windows shutdown procedures are invoked. Hope the explanation might give you a clue to help understand your problem a bit better.

Don't let governments or politicians take your privacy or freedom away from you.

They will if you let them, once they are elected ! many politicians forget,..in a democracy, they are elected By the people for the people, not the other way round !  "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell 

I don't think Network Lock is available in OpenVPN either. It's an addon from AIrVPN in eddie.

Sorry, I missed that you were using openvpn. Just assumed you were using Eddie. I can't replicate this issue with TeamViewer. I have the most current version downloaded on both the host and remote device. I can even disconnect openvpn while on a TeamViewer connection and it will recover before timing out. Sorry, wish I could help.

Many thanks for the help guys.

hunstman, I am aware of the Windows shutdown problems with Eddie, took me a while to figure this out myself. But yeah, this could a similar problem with the OpenVPN client.

Khariz, you're correct that Teamviewer recovers but it only does this if you manually disconnect from the VPN. If it drops on the other end (green icon to yellow), then you still have to disconnect to make Teamviewer work again and as I said, this wouldn't be a problem if I had physical access to the machine.

I'm gonna try to force Teamviewer to bind to the native interface in the meantime. Will report back how it goes.

Once again, thanks for the help. Cheers