Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.6.75
greenclaydog

Why is the Netherlands such a popular VPN host country?

Just curious why Netherlands is the most used country aside from having the most servers. I always thought Sweden and Switzerland had better laws regarding privacy and filesharing. Could someone inform me of Netherlands benefits over other locations in Europe aside from having central peering? I mean, is there a non technical reason for it or is the peering the only thing that makes it preferable to other countries in Europe? 

Cheaper bandwidth and competitive market which leads to lower prices.

One of the cheapest in EU (hw+bw).

Sure for AirVPN its the easiest country to obtain more servers for. My question was more pertaining to why so many people opt to use the Netherlands specifically, even though their are underused servers in other countries. In other words, why do users choose to connect to Netherlands servers?

Cheaper bandwidth and competitive market which leads to lower prices.

One of the cheapest in EU (hw+bw).

Sure for AirVPN its the easiest country to obtain more servers for. My question was more pertaining to why so many people opt to use the Netherlands specifically, even though their are underused servers in other countries. In other words, why do users choose to connect to Netherlands servers?

Because Netherlands has very good infrastructure, very good peering (which is getting better, because of, as zhang888 said many companies choose to select Netherlands as a hosting location, even better peering), and as a consequence very good quality for end users (speed latency). That's why. I have few closer countries I can choose, but Netherlans is the fastest, though not closest one. Another thing is that Netherlands is quite liberal in terms of user rights, and quite good in terms of privacy.

regards

Because Netherlands has very good infrastructure, very good peering (which is getting better, because of, as zhang888 said many companies choose to select Netherlands as a hosting location, even better peering), and as a consequence very good quality for end users (speed latency). That's why. I have few closer countries I can choose, but Netherlans is the fastest, though not closest one. Another thing is that Netherlands is quite liberal in terms of user rights, and quite good in terms of privacy.

regards

Interesting. Can I sum that up to safely assume that Netherlands servers are generally the best to use for peer-to-peer programs, both in regards of speed and DCMA concerns?

regards

Interesting. Can I sum that up to safely assume that Netherlands servers are generally the best to use for peer-to-peer programs, both in regards of speed and DCMA concerns?

Hello!

It also depends on your own connection to them. Some users have better connections to other servers. Air also doesn't care about the DMCA to my knowledge, so I don't think that makes a difference.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Because it is a great central point for a server. It offers decent latency to US/Canada and great latency to most of Europe. Hosting is cheap in Netherlands, probably one of the cheapest countries for hosting in Europe... Also, it is a decent country for internet privacy.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom