Not connected, Your IP: 52.91.0.68
BetterCallSaulVPN

what OS do you use?

Hello!

Security is a process, not just a piece of software; much like with AirVPN. Thus even a locked down Linux distro can be made unsafe, if the user is stupid . /thread?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

You may know Linux as the server OS but I switched from Windows to Linux not long ago and I've had a much better experience working with a Linux desktop than with Windows. Currently compiling a thread for this where I'll talk about motivation and experiences.

I'd personally say, every OS can be configured to be more or less secure but Windows will limit you a bit here. It's also degrading and with Windows 10 it's now the most untrustworthy OS one can use.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Obviously, Windows 10, it's the best for privacy right...? Kidding! I use Linux. I, like many others, was a Windows refugee some time ago. There is no clear answer on "most secure" but each distro has to be customized in different ways to be made more secure. Luckily, Linux is already very secure by default. Aside from installing (and configuring) UFW and (optionally) ClamAV, there is not much else to do. I suppose OpenSUSE is a great and easy to use distro for new users (because of YasT), but there is no major difference.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

I use GNU/Linux, sometimes a read-only GNU/Linux and sometimes not, according with what I´m going to do. In the past I also used many bsd,s (I love Openbsd). Sometimes I also use some live-usb gnu/linux with a read-only pendrive.

Using 3 x win 8.1 + 1 x Ubuntu

I use Linux typically, but as of late I replaced my motherboard and GPU and have not been able to get any Linux or Unix distro to boot without loads of work, and there are still problems to overcome. Lesson learned. Do *NOT* buy brand new hardware. Buy something that has been out a few years. The performance difference is negligible, and the support actually exists in the Kernel by that point.

For those wondering, here is my motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5655

And the only other OS I use is Windows 7 x64. If Vulkan ever gets real support from game makers, I will never need to upgrade. Vulkan is largely superior to DX12, and that is only available on "Windows 10". Vulkan is Open Source, Freeware, and on *EVERY* single platform. Not just the cherry picked privacy invading commercial ones that charge you every year to use it. To hell with Windows 10.

Mentioning something like this usually starts an argument with MS fanboys. So please, before you throw a fit, look up "Doom 2016 Vulkan Benchmarks". Vulkan actually makes DX12 look like the crap it is.

*Edit* By the way, for those too lazy to look it up, Vulkan is effectively OpenGL made modern.

*Edited Again* I forgot to link in the GPU. It does matter since most Linux Distros do not want to boot with it, and do not have any support for it when I do manage to get it to boot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487275 (Nvidia GTX 1060)

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Sierra and iOS 10.1.1.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

I use Windows 10. I low-key don't really know anything about Linux, and I'm too much of a self-respecting human being to use iOS.

But why would a self respecting human being use Windows? ; )

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

MacOs 10.11.6 and Debian Jessie in a VM.

I use most of the time Debian.

I have nothing to hide, but that's nobody's business!

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.
John Lennon
The further a society drift from truth the more it will hate those that speak it.
George Orwell

For the few here who may be wondering, I think I found out the cause of my systems unwillingness to boot most Linux distros. UEFI SecureBoot...

It will be easy to diagnose and fix. I simply turn it off and try again. But that is a project for another day.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.