Not connected, Your IP: 54.226.155.151

Hello,

I'm trying to compare AirVPN with ZorroVPN. Below are some of the features they provide:-

• Zorro, seems to have strong encryption (4096-bit RSA authentication keys, AES-256 strong encryption), although I am no security expert and want your view on this.
  • They provide Quadro-hop with possibility to add Tor to any of those hops. 
  • It has a config generator - not very easy to understand at first but once you know what it does - it is a big time saver.
  • Provide port forwarding
  • 3 devices at a time
  • No restriction on P2P
  • They claim - "no logs". what do you guys think?
  • Own DNS to prevent DNS leak
  • They claim to have sever in 48 countries - not sure. How do you verify if it is physical server or virtual?

Let me know what you think about this provider.

Almost every server I checked is virtual, many of them are with a provider called edis.at.

This means inevitable logging, slow and not guaranteed speeds, and frequent outages.

In case an attacker gains root on the dedicated server which is used to run all those

virtual servers, something that happens, he will see all your traffic. Don't waste your time.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

It looks like a smaller provider that uses virtual private servers instead of dedicated servers. This is an issue because, for one, a VPS is weaker than a dedicated server and does not have dedicated resources (I.E CPU, dedicated 100mbit/1gbit port). Also, reading their Terms of Use, it says "In case of violation of these rules, the account will be blocked and money, which rendered for services, will not be returned." which is a little shady as they claim to not log...? AirVPN goes into great detail about how they don't log which is what makes them so trustworthy. One thing we've learned from previous VPN's is that anyone can claim to not log, but not many can back their claims.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

Almost every server I checked is virtual, many of them are with a provider called edis.at.

This means inevitable logging, slow and not guaranteed speeds, and frequent outages.

In case an attacker gains root on the dedicated server which is used to run all those

virtual servers, something that happens, he will see all your traffic. Don't waste your time.

Is edis.at known to log all activity?

Since, they use Perfect Forward Secrecy (Diffie Hellman), does that make an attack on their server less important? Albeit, the attacker will know the origin of the request, but not the content.

How is AirVPN immune to these 2 vulnerability ("logging by server provider/ISP" and "hacker gaining access to server"?

Hello!

I doubt Air or any serious tech company would ever claim to be "immune" to hacking .

We can't prove if a VPN doesn't log - only make more or less educated guesses. With Air, there's a very low probability of logging, due to: how they run their setup, who runs it, their history, technical features and so forth.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Is edis.at known to log all activity?

Since, they use Perfect Forward Secrecy (Diffie Hellman), does that make an attack on their server less important? Albeit, the attacker will know the origin of the request, but not the content.

How is AirVPN immune to these 2 vulnerability ("logging by server provider/ISP" and "hacker gaining access to server"?

I don't think AirVPN claims to be immune by these "vulnerabilities", they are rather considered breaches of security/privacy. Nonetheless, AirVPN only uses servers in trustworthy datacenters (https://airvpn.org/faq/locations/) and despite common misconception, many datacenters don't log their customers dedicated server(s). The probability of a hacker gaining access to a server is very unlikely. There are many things you can do to protect a server against attacks, for example, you can use a 32 character randomly generated password, you can change the default SSH port to something random (this prevents against a significant amount of bruteforce attacks) or even an SSH key. Also, Air's servers run Linux, which (as we all know of course  ) is the most secure operating system so it's highly unlikely that there will be any vulnerabilities in installed packages/dependencies.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

how can you check servers, if I may ask?