Not connected, Your IP: 54.144.95.36
joe_g

pfsense dns allow *.vpn.airdns.org via 8.8.8.8

Hi there,

I followed the pfsense tutorial and got it all working, except for the last step with dns forwarder.

I'm connecting to "xx.vpn.airdns.org" instead of a IP. This provides some load balancing, since airvpn chooses a server for me. And a bit of extra security since it chooses a different server each time.

My problem is that I need a working DNS to initially connect to xx.vpn.airdns.org. Is there a way I can allow this specific request via 8.8.8.8, but no other? What I do now is I use the DNS Forwarder and "Query DNS servers sequentially", I uncheck it when I connect, and check it once connected. Is there a way i can avoid having to do this manually?

(My first dns server is airvpn's and the second is googles.)

thanks!

good question.  this application would apply to other uses too.  unfortunately it seems the pfsense expert doesn't hang around this forum anymore.

This is called conditional forwarding in dnsmasq, and it can be configured using something like this:

https://www.linuxsysadmintutorials.com/configure-dnsmasq-to-query-different-nameservers-for-different-domains.html

So in your case the additional line in the /services_dnsmasq.php page would be:

server=/airdns.org/8.8.8.8

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.