Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.12.172

Hello,

(Take note my skills and knowledge about computer networking are very basic and English is not my native language, so please bear with me).

I am a new user of ZeroNet and I would like to create my own site there. In their FAQ (do I need to have a port opened) I am told to open port 15441. I understand from your own FAQ that I should not forward a port from my ISP router itself, but only from my Client Area on AirVpn.org. When I try to do so I've got a message : "Port 15441 already reserved by another user."

The problem is I always keep my torrent client running in the background and my computer is set to forbid any internet connection whenever I am not using your excellent service. Therefore, for me to be able to create my site on ZeroNet and to update it at will, I would have to switch to a distinct connection (out of the VPN) and to manually reconfigure and reboot my router every time I wish to do so, and solely for this purpose. My router being three floors away from my computer this is out of question. Do you have any suggestions other than to give up torrenting?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help in this matter.

Hello!

Sire, thou may sayeth thy English is not good, but thy English skills would befit the Queen of England!

Haha.

In the client area, you need to put that 15441 number into the "Local port" box. Not into the big white box at the top. Just leave the top box empty. Then simply click add. After clicking add, AirVPN will automatically assign you an available port

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thank you for your reply and for the compliment.

I did as you say but ZeroNet still reports port 15441 as closed.

I asked for help on ZeroNet's Reddit and will keep you informed of my progress (or my lack of progress).

But wait, that's ZeroNet. Did it actually stop the Air site from saying "port reserved by another user"? Because that was the objective, as far as I was concerned.

After presumably forwarding the port correctly, you can do a TCP test from the same area . Make sure your firewall and/or other security software isn't blocking anything for you.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Well, I really could not tell... I must have messed up somehow because whenever I try to forward a port I got an error 110 as shown below:

Before the mess:

After the mess:

Screenshot_16_11_000839.jpg

I haven't got a clue why and how the whole thing went wrong. (Could it be that I have two copies of Python.exe?) Windows firewall and ESET rules seems to be okay. I'll do a system restore and will keep you up to date.

As for ZeroNet itsef here is the Reddit discussion I started on how to upload data through a VPN. There are potential solutions worth exploring together.

If you're using 3rd party security software, it can be worth taking a look at the Experimental Eddie client, as it's meant to handle these better . Otherwise in VPN terms, make sure tap.exe, openvpn.exe and airVPN.exe are not being blocked by anything. Further, you can also choose to "reset" windows firewall rules, if you're having issues; especially if after using Network Lock(NL). A guy in the link you provided, told you to forward both ports from the VPN and your router. Do not do this, as it exposes you to correlation attacks.

As for AirVPN together with TOR, you can check that. In addition to my guide, wherein there's plenty other security/privacy centric links.

Do remember to put the port you want to forward, into the "local port" field, not the top field, as I see you did the opposite in the reddit thread, regarding port 51485.

I think it's also worth checking ipleak.net to make sure you're not leaking, in addition to perhaps turning off IPv6 and/or network adapters you aren't using.

If you're using 3rd party security software, it can be worth taking a look at the Experimental Eddie client, as it's meant to handle these better . Otherwise in VPN terms, make sure tap.exe, openvpn.exe and airVPN.exe are not being blocked by anything. Further, you can also choose to "reset" windows firewall rules, if you're having issues; especially if after using Network Lock(NL). A guy in the link you provided, told you to forward both ports from the VPN and your router. Do not do this, as it exposes you to correlation attacks.

As for AirVPN together with TOR, you can check that. In addition to my guide, wherein there's plenty other security/privacy centric links.

Do remember to put the port you want to forward, into the "local port" field, not the top field, as I see you did the opposite in the reddit thread, regarding port 51485.

I think it's also worth checking ipleak.net to make sure you're not leaking, in addition to perhaps turning off IPv6 and/or network adapters you aren't using.

Thank you very much for your kind help and suggestions, this is highly appreciated!

1) I will stick to Eddie client for now, I don't feel ready for the Experimental version yet.

2) Since I don't actually really need an additional privacy layer, and although your guide is very well written and straightforward, I will put TOR aside until I would have done more research on the topic. TOR is an unknown land for me to explore and I need to give it some time before I feel at ease with it.

3) I created new rules in my windows firewall to make sure both incoming and out-coming traffic for airVPN.exe, openvpn.exe, tap.exe and python.exe are allowed. It did not help.

4) I did a system restore but it did not help neither.

5) I am not using Network Lock.

6) I am well aware I should not make any change to my router settings when I'm behind a VPN.

7) ZeroNet's developer (Nofishme) said I had to change ZeroNet configuration as following:

"You have to modify the port zeronet using: create a file zeronet.conf where your zeronet.py is.

[global]

fileserver_port = 51485

Set the local port AirVPN to 51485, then restart zeronet and try again"

I did follow his instructions but since I keep having error 110 when I try to set port forwarding in my Client Area, it could not work. I'm puzzled on how and why error 110 happened in the first place. This is all very confusing and way out of my scope of expertise. I feel completely lost regarding this new issue!

8) I was indeed leaking DNS requests. I corrected this issue in my browser configuration.

9) I may try to reset windows firewall settings but I'm not sure how to revert those settings to what they are now. Will a restore point suffice?

10) If all fail I am tempted to restart from fresh by reinstalling Windows, but this would be as final resort. I would rather give up with ZeroNet and port forwarding to spare me the trouble.

Should I start a new thread regarding the new issues I am facing (notably error 110)? This is all very confusing and although I feel discouraged by the repeated failure I am not the kind of person to give up easily so I'll keep trying!

Okay. Thank you very much. I freaked out but now I feel fully reassured.

I guess it's only a matter of time before I can give it one more try and tag this topic as "solved".

People with determination are the coolest, remember that