Not connected, Your IP: 44.221.81.212
Sign in to follow this  
88LuckyGold

VPN on host computer to Virtual Machine?

I want to run the VPN on my host machine while using a virtual machine (VM) Oracle VM Virtualbox to run my every day browsers and sites. I have tried my best today for several hours but I have had an extremely hard time setting it up. Some sites do not work properly. I am assuming this is a networking issue somewhere (host computer, VM settings, or router, or the VPN?). What needs to be done to get all the systems to work together? 

Symptoms are getting "localhost" white crash pages, sites not loading properly on the VM. I have tried also installing airvpn on the VM, but it does not connect (connection reset by peer or "Cannot login (An exception occurred during a WebClient request). 

Help is greatly appreciated!

It can be done - I am running Linux Mint 18 in Virtualbox, on a Windows 7 laptop with AirVPN, with wifi to a DLink router with a fixed IP address from my ISP.

Everything seemed to "just work" without needing to drill down and understand and fix things, so a bit handicapped as to exactly what is configured or may go wrong.

My strategy was to ensure any lower layer was up and running when adding software, so that any adaptive discovery could auto configure and I could check each step up. The original ISP config with router was all DHCP, then get AirVPN up and configured and running, test from W7 software, then generate a VM using the portable linux iso, check networking from Linux, then install of linux onto a disk .vdi ntfs file.

Lots could go wrong, so cannot say what your specific problem might be. And I am semi-ignorant about Linux networking utilities etc.

Q1 Is AirVPN working without problems on the host operating system ?

while using a virtual machine (VM) Oracle VM Virtualbox to run my every day browsers and sites.

Do you mean that you want the VM NOT to use the VPN? If so, then set up "Adapter 1" in the "Network" section of "Settings" to be a "Bridged Adapter" to your real NIC. Your VM OS will get an IP address from the router just like the host OS. No VPN.

while using a virtual machine (VM) Oracle VM Virtualbox to run my every day browsers and sites.

Do you mean that you want the VM NOT to use the VPN? If so, then set up "Adapter 1" in the "Network" section of "Settings" to be a "Bridged Adapter" to your real NIC. Your VM OS will get an IP address from the router just like the host OS. No VPN.

Can I do this the opposite way?  Linux Mint VM running the AirVPN Client inside... everything inside the VM is on VPN .. everything on my host box is not.. is that possible?  I THINK im doing it now but im not sure that the VPN traffic in the VM isnt just shooting out of my host IP....???

You could install OpenVPN inside the VM and connect from there. Your VM will be using AirVPN, your host machine will be using your normal connection.