Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.246.8

I'm using OpenVPN on Windows 7. Just today, when I typed in an incorrect web address, my ISP re-routed me to a search page filled with ads. My ISP calls it DNS Assist.

I was under the impression that when I'm connected to the VPN all my traffic is routed through the VPN. How is my ISP hijacking my DNS requests if I'm connected to the VPN?

I apologize if this is a dumb question or posted in the wrong spot. I'd appreciate any help, I definitely don't want my ISP spying on my DNS requests.

Perhaps your router is configured to use your ISP' provided DNS. I would start by checking that, as it is network level and therefore can override your "computer side" DNS.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

I just want to add that this wasn't happening before today, and I haven't changed any settings. So the only thing I can figure is that my ISP only started implementing this today. I was able to log in to my ISP and opt out of the program and the redirects are no longer occurring.

I should have checked ipleak.net before I opted out, but now that I'm opted out ipleak isn't showing a DNS leak. It's showing the IP of my VPN. I'm not sure how accurate / trustworthy this is though.

Hello!

Aren't you using the AirVPN Eddie client? If not, I'd recommend you try it. It'll make you use Airs DNS too. You shouldn't have to opt out of anything in terms of your ISP really. It's a little like going to googles pages and opting out of tracking cookies; which itself requires a kind of tracking. Instead of, for instance, using programs that block tracking altogether. If you didn't make all your network interfaces use the Air DNS, then perhaps your PC fell back to defaults of some sort and hence your ISPs DNS is being used . Again, do try use Eddie. You can use its Network Lock feature then. Also, maybe this post will be of interest.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

New user:

Checking for DNS Leak using a Hong Kong server through AirVPN. Using https://www.perfect-privacy.com/ I find that I am getting a leak through Packswitch Globe Telecom.

Following up on their website I find this,

"VPN & IP address rental

Free up your Internet! No restrictions whatsoever. Some countries are notorious for controlling the content users can view or monitoring their online activities. If you care about your online privacy and freedom, "IPv4 Address Rental" is an excellent solution. Unlike your ISP, we do not log and track the websites you have visited.

Can you tell me more about this Packwitch service? Why would they have my (IP)  DNS leak using AirVPN? Could a political dissident be tracked through this leak? Do you know their logging policy? If this is just a Hong Kong thing can anyone suggest a more secure location? 

BTW This did not popup on ipleak, sust all the USA stuff which is hidden. 

New user:

Checking for DNS Leak using a Hong Kong server through AirVPN. Using https://www.perfect-privacy.com/ I find that I am getting a leak through Packswitch Globe Telecom.

That's not a leak, PacSwitch datacenter houses one of our Hong Kong servers.

DNS leaks are especially dangerous in countries controlled by human rights hostile regimes, because by sending out in clear text a DNS query, your ISP (and anybody wiretapping your line) can see which domain names you want to resolve (therefore the web sites you plan to access and so on).

Kind regards