Not connected, Your IP: 44.198.57.9
Sign in to follow this  
ajp2k15

Swedish servers

Hi,

anyone else here having speed issues with the Swedish servers? The older servers (Gacrux, Serpentis, Gomeisa etc) are reasonably fast most of the day and especially during middle of the day (CET). The newer servers however (Alrami, Menkab, Hatysa etc) are dead slow though, especially during evenings.

I'm on a 250/50 connection and here's a test I did a while back on a Sunday:

16/10, 10:21

bredbandskollen.se

Server             DL/UL

Altarf             35/41

Alrami             37/33

Hatysa             32/32

Gacrux            114/50

Pherkad            73/50

Zaniah             90/50

Muphrid            28/31

Gomeisa            98/50

Algorab             6/34

Using latest beta om Eddie, port 1194 udp, buffers 512/512

Today when I ran another test during lunch (CET) both old and newer servers were really fast (only tested a few) but tonight the newer servers are really slow again (20-30Mbps) while the older are about 100-140Mbps.

Any ideas?

Currently some servers peak 300-400Mbit, so generally you would prefer to connect to ones with less load.

Your expectation is a little high, there is no VPN provider that can currently satisfy a 24/7 guaranteed b/w of

250/50. The top 10 chart has some Swedish servers from time to time, and users can achieve ~100mbit on

them without issues.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

You misunderstood me, I don't expect 250/50. It's just that ALL the newer Swedish servers are really slow during evenings at least with 20-30Mbps speeds while the older servers are quite ok with 100+. This is independent of load, the older servers can have more load and still be quite fast but the newer ones are slow no matter what. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had seen this...

Yes, I have noticed the same thing recently - severe speed issues on a lot of the Swedish servers regardless of server load, while a few seem OK. My observations mostly correlate with yours, and this all happened at the same time - with no such issues on any of the servers before. Obviously something is wrong, and only sacrificial gifts to The Dark Master can set things straight. Disclaimer: Been a few days since I tested.

Yes. You are certainly not the only one having these problems with speed and responsiveness from the Swedish servers. I also measure a general packet loss of about 2% and in some periods up to as much as 6%. I have tested this on different ISP networks and I believe it is a general pattern for the Swedish servers. There once was a server in Stockholm - it did not have the issues. I think it is a data center specific issue.

"Glad" to hear I'm not the only one, it has been driving me crazy. I opened a couple of tickets about it but they keep getting closed.

The weird thing is, Gacrux is almost always fast for me but according to AirVPN all servers are deployed in the same server rack so they should be the same...

Just tried some of the newer servers during lunch (CET) and speed is good (120-170Mbps), during the evenings they usually only manages 20-40Mbps even if load is low....

I am having issues, too. I get about 10Mbps on a 155Mbps connection. Surrounding locations give me a much better speed.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

I am having issues, too. I get about 10Mbps on a 155Mbps connection. Surrounding locations give me a much better speed.

I have bad speeds too compared to other EU servers.

I created another ticket about  this about a week ago, now it's marked as closed without any response... what's going on?

hi,

i've just made a speed test with Benetnasch (SE) 12% load and Alphirk (NL) 13% load.

The difference regarding download speed  is enormous ....

greets

@kiwi What do you get if you try Gacrux instead? A couple of the Swedish servers are fast for me but most of them are really slow...

Gacrux with 22% load ...

test No. 2:

i mostly use NL servers because they are the fastest for me ...

Ah ok, Gacrux is usually quite fast for me but some of the NL servers are even faster (even though I'm located in Sweden but that has to do with peering etc). The strange thing is that Gacrux is one of the "older" servers and all the newer ones are really slow for me but they are supposedly located in the same server rack...

I created another ticket about  this about a week ago, now it's marked as closed without any response... what's going on?

I accidentally logged into one of the slow servers some days ago, and decided to run a new speed test - hilariously slow even with low load, returned to a reliable server - almost max speed instantly. Since they close your tickets I am sure they think the speeds are amazing, though - and will silently fix it, possibly before the nuclear holocaust, once they notice that several of the servers are gimped. Anyway, I get great speeds even from Dutch servers on Air so I don't care much - but from the replies in this thread it is always the usual suspects servers that suck.

Just connected to Benetnasch with good speed (lunchtime CET), I bet it will be slow again tonight though... are the servers being used for something else in the evening or what, LAN parties? ;D