Not connected, Your IP: 52.54.103.76

Hi all,

I was wondering what u guys think about Ipvanish? Is it a good VPN like PIA or has it its downsides? Does anyone has used it? or opinions

I know that Airvpn is unique and cannot compare it with other providers.

Nothing special about it. It's a US based provider that claims to be "The Best VPN Service Provider with Fast, Secure VPN Access". They also have a affiliate/reseller program, that offers very inviting numbers, I'm sure there's some shills on Reddit somewhere... In other words, no.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

Guess that presumes PIA is a "good" provider.

Which has proved to be a myth, as PIA gets the majority of their business by their affiliate offer. Let's not forget how they thought it would be a good idea to enter Russia, despite the large risk, and got their servers seized. Russia has stopped being a good country for internet privacy a long time ago... But previously, it was the country of choice for script kiddies running their botnets (as hosting is cheap there).

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

IPVanish is used by some Freifunk communities in Germany.

We've got a legal construct shamefully named "Störerhaftung" (for example, if you operate a WLAN access point, even if it's WPA2-secured, and someone does something "bad" you as the owner of the internet line can be held liable as a helper for this someone). Freifunk leverages this by routing traffic through a VPN provider.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Störerhaftung. Store the traffic and have hung the one who transited it. A brilliant idea.

I knew long German words can sometimes be easy to memorize.

But IPVanish? What happened to Tor? Why to pay more when you can get something (lot) better, for free.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Störerhaftung. Store the traffic and have hung the one who transited it. A brilliant idea.

Translating something into german is concatenation of the translated words most of the time:

Störer - "interferer", interfering in this context means to act as a middleman, in this case, providing an unsecured, free-to-access WLAN access point.

Haftung - liability.

Störerhaftung - interferer liability. Welcome to german language.

But IPVanish? What happened to Tor? Why to pay more when you can get something (lot) better, for free.

Nothing happened to Tor, it's even recommended to use some sort of encryption like Tor or VPNs, at least enable HTTPS on the sites you surf to when connected to a Freifunk access point - since it's an unsecured access point.

Okay no Ipvanish for me haha thanks for the advice! 

Any better providers? I am looking for a alternative for Air, not for me but for my parents. Air is a little to difficult for them..

Air is a little to difficult for them..

What? I hope you don't recommend them going for PPTP, that's just negligent. Why is Air so "difficult"?

No offense but with autostart with (i assume) windows and click "network lock" and then "connect".

If you have chosen in options to always connect to the same server, they are only 2 mouseclicks from being connected 

(almost senile-proof)

If fake VPN locations on VPS servers are your thing, go for it

Yess airvpn works! The problem was that the normal eddie client crasht after a x couple of minutes. But after installing the beta version it works super smooth.

Just wondering. How can u check if a VPN provider use VPS servers or fake geolocation? I just tried ipvanish for a week and did a tracert to google.com from a Croatia server.

This is the output:

Tracing route to google.com [208.117.229.249]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    38 ms    38 ms    39 ms  172.21.24.1
  2    49 ms    47 ms    43 ms  cpe-85-10-51-1.static.amis.hr [85.10.51.1]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    48 ms    63 ms    52 ms  srv-188-129-0-54.static.amis.hr [188.129.0.54]
  5    52 ms    47 ms    50 ms  srv-188-129-0-54.static.amis.hr [188.129.0.54]
  6    54 ms    48 ms    57 ms  google2.cix.hr [193.192.15.102]
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8    47 ms    47 ms    47 ms  cache.google.com [208.117.229.249]

Yess airvpn works! The problem was that the normal eddie client crasht after a x couple of minutes. But after installing the beta version it works super smooth.

Just wondering. How can u check if a VPN provider use VPS servers or fake geolocation? I just tried ipvanish for a week and did a tracert to google.com from a Croatia server.

This is the output:

If you are having an issue with the Eddie client, try using the experimental version. If that doesn't work, you can always use the OpenVPN Config generator which is very easy.

This is the output:

Hello!

As with selecting a good VPN, you find out all you can about their service. You may for instance discover that they paid for provider X and that provider is a VPS provider. Sometimes the scoop is hiding in plain sight .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I'm a Long time Member of AirVPN. and had gotten "IPVanish" free with a News Server Provider.

I thought to myself "oh, that could save me some money in the long run".

Worse Decision i have made, i have since in this time, returned to AirVPN & and have returned to a very fast & reliable VPN Provider as Air has always been for me.

Forum & Community are usually very friendly to.

One this i did find with IPVan that i liked for the short term is the Access to Netflix wasn't an issue and didn't block me for using a VPN as it usually would for AirVPN, But THAT! is the only good thing to say about them.

I was getting 5% of my ISP Provided speed through the VPN Tunnel with IPVanish.

With the changed back to Air, im getting about 75/85% on Average, some days, a lot higher in the 90+%

Again, AirVPN seems to work far better for me. 

Why not set it on a router which will be always connected? This is a better option for either non-technical users

or non x86 based devices.

For Technical Users: PFSense on PF Hardware or Custom (I use Homemade Custom)

For Average User: DD-WRT or OpenWRT on Consumer Router.

For Less Technical: VPN Client Provided by AirVPN.

I'm pretty sure IPVANISH on at least some of their servers identify as 'IPVANISH' in the MaxMind GeoIP database under the ISP header (at least from what I've seen from our own user logs at work).  I'm not sure if this is necessarily a good thing or not, but if your wish to keep the fact that you use a VPN a secret, it may be something to consider.

I'm using one of the IPVanish VPN from New Zealand. The IP address is 49.50.252.195.

The IP address has been listed as VPN in one of the geolocation database, IP2Location.

https://www.ip2location.com/demo/49.50.252.195

IPVanish might be able to hide our actual IP address, but it looks like it is possible that others know we are behind a VPN.

Not reliable. The speed was good. Can't loggin on desktop client two weeks ago. Btw, I am in China. : )

Hi,

I am using IPVanish currently. They don't offer Port Forwarding which is an issue for me as I would like to remote access my NAS while having it behind the VPN.

This is the reason why I am fishing around and found AirVPN.