Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.227.76
BetterCallSaulVPN

Computer+Router VPNs

Let's say i wanted an extra level of security -- Would it make sense to use airvpn on a computer level, then use a separate vpn on the router level (like this one)?

I am a total n00b when it comes to vpn technology so maybe this is dumb, but it seems to me that the data would be encrypted on my computer, then sent through expressvpn or whatever router vpn that's in use (expressvpn seems to be the only one that has a page dedicated to it's router option) which encrypts the first traffic even further, then the outer layer is decrypted by expressvpn, and finally the last part is decrypted at the airvpn server. Would it work this way or am I missing something critical?

Thanks

Hello!

You can indeed run multiple VPNs, but you should consider at least 2 things:

1. Can your router handle a VPN? Most regular routers would struggle and/or limit your speeds.
  2. Who or what are you hiding from and is it really necessary with two VPNs for your use-case?

After all, running with a VPN doesn't make you anonymous, nor does it necessarily make you much more secure. You can find discussions about other VPNs on our forums too and make your own judgement. Needless to say, far from all VPN providers are trustworthy and/or that secure. But you also need to consider other kinds of security - have you made attempts to secure your browser? Your OS? Your online accounts through various means? The point being that you can't fix all your security woes by simply signing up to one VPN or even two.

I think if you're a "total noob" as you say, then you ought to first familiarize yourself with 1 VPN, which could be AirVPN, as it perhaps allows for more technical flexibility and is perhaps more open about being technical than most, thus allowing you to learn more. Then, once you've become more familiar with how it all works in a "big ideas" sense, then you can start to play around.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.