Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.186.170
Arceon

[Android 6.0.1] [OpenVPN for Android] "VPN API permission dialog cancelled"

Hi,

I am having trouble getting AirVPN running on:

- Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F)

- Android 6.0.1

- rooted

using OpenVPN for Android by Arne Schwabe.

I have created a .ovpn file using Chrome Android (creating such a file in Firefox Android also gives this problem) and followed the instructions here: https://airvpn.org/topic/11476-using-airvpn-with-openvpn-for-android/

When I try to start the newly made profile in OpenVPN for Android, I can see a dialog appearing for a split second, before seeing it disappear.

Log:

VPN API permission dialog cancelled

My question is: How can I remedy this issue and connect to AirVPN on my Android device?

Thanks in advance,

Arceon

For Android, it's important to tell us your software versions: ROM name and version and kernel + version. If you use Kernel Adiutor, it provides a useful summary in the Device tab. Otherwise, the info of Settings > Device Info will do.

You could try resetting all app-specific settings, it could reenable the dialog if you accidentally clicked  No  and Don't ask again. This can be done in Settings > Apps > Menu: Reset app settings. 

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thank you for the responses.

see if this helps:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/canvas-a1/help/vpn-apps-help-pls-t2998836

found this also, i'm on older custom rom gingerbread molten had to do a shit load of tweaking coz everything was for ics
your rom is diff but still trying to help ya, see if this helps also:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/cannot-connect-to-any-vpns.438038/

cheerz

I am currently downloading the firmware of my ROM, to extract from its system.img file.

I would rather not perform measures which I deem to be too drastic, which includes a clean wipe. I have a backup phone, which I'll use for using the internet via a VPN. This is my back-up plan.

For Android, it's important to tell us your software versions: ROM name and version and kernel + version. If you use Kernel Adiutor, it provides a useful summary in the Device tab. Otherwise, the info of Settings > Device Info will do.

You could try resetting all app-specific settings, it could reenable the dialog if you accidentally clicked  No  and Don't ask again. This can be done in Settings > Apps > Menu: Reset app settings. 

Model number: SM-G900F

Android version: 6.0.1

Baseband version: G900FXXU1CPCH

Kernel version: 3.4.0-7182592

dpi@SWDD6721 #1

Tue Apr 5 15:08:03 KST 2016

Build number: MMB29M.G900FXXU1CPD2

Is this information enough?

Also, what does "Settings > Apps > Menu: Reset app settings" reset exactly?

Also, what does "Settings > Apps > Menu: Reset app settings" reset exactly?

Granted permissions, open with app defaults and dialogs like the VPN dialog. It does not delete app data, this is done by a factory reset.

I installed the VpnDialogs.apk file as a system app, but my problem still persists.

[...]

I have also done this, but to no avail.

I don't know if this could be your problem (if not then forget this answer) but I found some time ago a problem with this app, you must choose first the sdcard when all your files and folders are, and then go to your ovpn file, if you choose another way then it crashes.

Today, I have tried to remedy this problem again.

What I tried:

- Using the Xposed module: Auto VPN Dialog Confirm by plaisthos

- Moving .ovpn files (root of internal storage and root of SD card

- OpenVPN for Android and OpenVPN connect

In this table you can see that I have tried all possible combinations of these strategies. All of my attempts were met with failure.

I have also tried converting both apps to system apps, by moving their folder from /data/app to /system/priv-app and granting the base.apk: all read permissions, and owner permission for write. As can be seen in the table, this did not work: the apps did not show up in the launcher.

Table: https://i.imgur.com/p1Nhixa.png

I cleared data off the app in question before each attempt.

I think this problem has to do with the VPN dialog application itself, though I don’t know how. It is a system app, after all.

Uninstall XPosed, please. Let the installer create a flashable uninstaller package, go to recovery > apply update. Don't just disable the modules. Then try again.

If still nothing, we'd need logs. I'm not exactly sure what is causing this, so try to connect again, then upload at least the main and kernel log. I've made good experience with SysLog: You check them both, optionally scrap them from personal info and combine them in a .tar archive.

I edited my previous post to include a proper table.

Uninstall XPosed, please. Let the installer create a flashable uninstaller package, go to recovery > apply update. Don't just disable the modules. Then try again.

If still nothing, we'd need logs. I'm not exactly sure what is causing this, so try to connect again, then upload at least the main and kernel log. I've made good experience with SysLog: You check them both, optionally scrap them from personal info and combine them in a .tar archive.

I would like to cease trying to solve my problem, if I have to uninstall Xposed. Xposed is too important for me. I do understand that I lose hope of VPN functionality on my phone now, but I am sure. At least I can use VPN functionality on my back-up phone and PC.

I would like to thank you all for offering help.

It's just for testing, no one said to do that forever. If it works, we need to examine which modules could be messing with the dialog.

There's one setting in OpenVPN for Android to revoke all apps the permissions to control OpenVPN, if any are present. I doubt it, but check if there's an app listed

XPosed might be powerful and may enhance functionality of a ROM, truth is it's also the best tool for breaking a ROM. If you can't live without it, definitely look at some custom ROMs. Be open, it's basically Linux you're using. Don't let it be Windows.

It's just for testing, no one said to do that forever. If it works, we need to examine which modules could be messing with the dialog.

There's one setting in OpenVPN for Android to revoke all apps the permissions to control OpenVPN, if any are present. I doubt it, but check if there's an app listed

XPosed might be powerful and may enhance functionality of a ROM, truth is it's also the best tool for breaking a ROM. If you can't live without it, definitely look at some custom ROMs. Be open, it's basically Linux you're using. Don't let it be Windows.

In that case, I'll try it. I will post here once I have had the time to do this, which would be this week.

Just FYI, I've rooted all my phones for years and run xposed most of the time. I know most devs do not like xposed but for me it has never caused any problems; OpenVPN Connect works flawlessly on my S5 with AICP 6.01 at the moment. It all depends which xposed modules you run against whichever ROM so I would disable modules one by one if there was some problem, before removing xposed completely.

Just FYI, I've rooted all my phones for years and run xposed most of the time. I know most devs do not like xposed but for me it has never caused any problems; OpenVPN Connect works flawlessly on my S5 with AICP 6.01 at the moment. It all depends which xposed modules you run against whichever ROM so I would disable modules one by one if there was some problem, before removing xposed completely.

That's a huge security risk.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

That's a huge security risk.

What is?

Xposed - that basically means that you allow any app to inject any module to run as root without your knowledge.

It does not. I control which apps I install. Any app, xposed or not, could inject code to run as root but for it to do anything to the system or look at personal details or to mess with privilged settings, I would have to allow it.

Xposed - that basically means that you allow any app to inject any module to run as root without your knowledge.

A module to be effective needs manual enabling in the XPosed Framework Installer app and a reboot. It will also notify you if an installed app is using the XPosed API. I consider everyone to install XPosed as experienced enough to know what they are doing, and if not, well, you sir chose to make these modifications.

But basically... you've got a point.

It's funny how some people assume and believe that the intended functionality cannot be bypassed using "unspecified" techniques,

which malware authors and let along more powerful adversaries use daily.

Even with a rooted phone alone, there are number of vulnerabilities in the SuperSU implementation that would allow any apk gain

root privileges without trigerring the permissions dashboard.

Together with more helpers with no security in mind you are turning your phone into a very easy target.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Even with a rooted phone alone, there are number of vulnerabilities in the SuperSU implementation that would allow any apk gain

Granted, but even with an unrooted phone there are vulnerabilities, most commonly used to gain root privileges, and this doesn't even trigger a warning...

Now, back to the topic. Any news on the VPN dialog?

Granted, but even with an unrooted phone there are vulnerabilities, most commonly used to gain root privileges, and this doesn't even trigger a warning...

Now, back to the topic. Any news on the VPN dialog?

Since I wish to do a nandroid back-up before trying to uninstall Xposed, I need some time. I have been very busy, so I am going to do this somewhere in the coming week. I apologise for not being very fast.

Since I wish to do a nandroid back-up before trying to uninstall Xposed, I need some time. I have been very busy, so I am going to do this somewhere in the coming week. I apologise for not being very fast.

Just so you know, you will not lose any data by replacing one single system file... but generally it's a good idea to do backups regularly. Make sure to encrypt them

I uninstalled Xposed and was surprised to see that the VPN dialog did in fact come up.

Since I do need Xposed for regular use, I have reverted to a back-up with Xposed.

I am thinking my best option now is to turn off Xposed modules one by one to see which one interferes with the dialog. Can anyone confirm this? Or can the problem be caused by Xposed itself?

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Can anyone confirm this? Or can the problem be caused by Xposed itself?

You can post all the names of your modules and we'll see. But basically, yes, turn them off one by one and see what happens. Remember to reboot everytime you change the list of active modules.

XPosed by itself does nothing.