Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.44.242
airvpnlover

Difference between using one of their usa vs italy server

Hi

it is interesting that there home office is in italy.

If a usa citizen wants to go with air vpn there is this question for expert.

What are the diffenrences for this usa user to chose a server in usa OR one in italy or switzerland .

I would like to know the difference in experience and also in law

I read that all servers in usa have obligation to keep logs by law. THis means also usa servers owned by airvpn......  so it might be a better idea for the us citizen to connect to a server in switzerland...

There are probalbly other difference apart from speed stabilité and law, and I am also interested in knowing them .

thx!

Airvpn say they don't log and all servers have same setup/config there are no really difference but it would be great if you don't do p2p stuff on the USA servers

If you feel better if you connect to a server outside USA just do it try netherland location or Sweden

Airs client software (Eddie) will display what the fastest overseas servers and connections are from your location. Air do not log anything anywhere, so it cannot be law to keep them. When you disconnect, any traces of your usage dissapear from RAM and thats it.

I read that all servers in usa have obligation to keep logs by law

As far as I know, there is no data retention law in the United States.

I would like to know the difference in experience and also in law

Law:

If you are not allowed to bypass restrictions in your home country by law you might be held liable for this. Fortunately it's not the case in the United States. Or anywhere else. Except for, I don't know, Qatar? China? So you can ignore this.

Apart from that, generally the laws of a server location's country apply. If a server gets seized because of some kind of crime forbidden by local law, they get the server with no information on it (because AirVPN is a no-log provider; if no mandatory data retention laws in that country apply, of course).

Experience:

Well, you're a visitor appearing to connect from Italy. Some websites will offer you an Italy version of themselves (Google maybe not ).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

​Can a us citezen directly connect to a switzerland server connect to vpn directly? if so will it be slower than a if the user would have chosen a usa server?

All of Air's servers are considered safe and none of them log. You can connect to Switzerland if you are in the US, but it will be slow as Switzerland is far away (geographically speaking) from North America. Generally, it is best to connect to the closest server to you to get the fastest speed and lowest latency.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

Generally, it is best to connect to the closest server to you to get the fastest speed and lowest latency.

I cannot confirm this. Servers in Frankfurt are slower than Kitalpha in CH for me, and I live north of Frankfurt.

Generally, it is best to connect to the closest server to you to get the fastest speed and lowest latency.

I cannot confirm this. Servers in Frankfurt are slower than Kitalpha in CH for me, and I live north of Frankfurt.

Not every user is in the "usual scenario". But normally, the servers with the lowest latency (<100ms is a good rule of thumb) have the fastest speed. And maintaining a low latency is important if you are are gaming/using VoIP.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

The only thing that matters are the routes to your destination, not the distance in my opinion. We've got fiber channel lines throughout the globe, they can be as fast as light. The only thing standing in the way of a fast connection are routers and switches, because they need to process it, effectively delaying packets. You want to reduce the number of routers you need to route your traffic through. I've made the experience that using direct routes is the best you can do to lower latency. You'll always lose speed and increase latency with a VPN, no matter what you do.

Also keep in mind, only humanity knows the concept of (political) frontiers.

The only thing that matters are the routes to your destination, not the distance in my opinion. We've got fiber channel lines throughout the globe, they can be as fast as light. The only thing standing in the way of a fast connection are routers and switches, because they need to process it, effectively delaying packets. You want to reduce the number of routers you need to route your traffic through. I've made the experience that using direct routes is the best you can do to lower latency. You'll always lose speed and increase latency with a VPN, no matter what you do.

Also keep in mind, only humanity knows the concept of (political) frontiers.

This is true, there is going to always be a speed loss, but it's usually very minimal and it's hard to notice unless you are downloading at your max internet speed. I also agree with your statement on routing mattering more than distance. The less hops, the better peering (such as AMS-IX, Telia, LINX, etc.) the better the speed. However, usually, the closer you are to the location/server you are connected to, you have a higher chance at getting better speeds/lower latency.