Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.130.41
Paximus

TAP, static/dynamic, few questions...

I can't see why any VPN service would care whether you were using a static or dynamic IP address. Whatever it is at the time of connection is the one that will be used for that session. Eddie changes your DNS settings on connection and sets them back to what they were on disconnection (by default, but you can change this in the DNS settings).

From what I understand, dynamic is preferred from a security standpoint but correct me if I'm wrong. I came from TrustVPN and if I remember correctly, you had to switch to static for it to work well.

However, Eddie is not changing it for the TAP network (always dynamic) or my Ethernet network (always static).

Your ISP will still know and log your IP no matter how you set up your router or anything else - the point here is that using a VPN makes your real IP irrelevant since the outside world only sees the Air Server exit IP.

I use Linux these days so I don't know what the options are for Windows right now - others will - I don't remember Eddie doing anything with DHCP settings, yes it does but should restore them when you disconnect.

If your DNS or DHCP settings aren't returning to their original setting after exiting Eddie normally then I would open a support ticket. Others here know far more than me about networks in general so I'll leave further help to them.

There is an option in Preferences>Advanced to remove the default gateway, perhaps that is checked?

For some insight "from the horse's mouth" you could browse

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source.html

as well as AirVPN infos

But following down into understanding Internet Protocol RFCs and M$ Windows commands and crypto mechanisms is a longer trek into the jungle.

I think I have forgotten more than I now know after a few trips in there. Currently just use defaults and set things to DHCP and "automatic" and let AirVPN and the ISP and the router and the W7  stack and the antivirus firewall etc sort themselves out.

Network admins get paid decent money if they know all this stuff and reliably set it up, but weird things happen and some die young from stress ...

use my setup as example

from comcast i have 'dynamic' ip

however quite often with ispz they get treated as 'static'

it's a serious pain in the butt for them to go rollen around

like that

from the very end of that cable line into say a bare mim motorola sb6121

it is technically considered 'dynamic' from the isp point of view

from there i plug that dynamic isp assigned cable into my bare mim cable modem

box and cat 5 to my open source router

inside the ddwrt router i have the config set to 'auto' this is at the very top and is so the router

knows the isp is actually 'dynamic' this is the only part in the router that anything is set to 'auto'

from there i set my local assign ip addys and dns plus shut off all time stuff and dhcp stuff

this hardens the local and actually keeps my isp's config basically stopped at the router

these things are a dime a dozen you could even go a step further and toss in another flashed router in between

and do a bunch of other things

but yes i think rolling without dhcp purren on anything and haven full control of yer network is just adding to the 'layer' of security

the down side is well yes it is easier to misconfig sumthin, i hammer junk all time

but itz how ya get puppy treats and well they are just good for ya

yep, static is in my opinion fda approved

I hear static is best for VPNs

Maybe, but you usually don't set this yourself. OpenVPN/TAP gets its IP (and other things) by a PUSH_REPLY from the server you connect to, and these are pushed as statics to the TAP driver (since I don't have the feeling you know, the TAP driver is handling traffic redirection from/to OpenVPN). In the end you've got kind of a static IP, a static DNS, etc.

Just.. just leave DHCP on. People who want to ruin your online life will probably get into your network with DHCP disabled, anyways.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.