Not connected, Your IP: 3.224.147.211
TomasLike

P2P/Security Questions

Hello there. I´m currently using a trial of AirVPN and so far i´m liking it: it´s fast and simple.

I just have some questions regarding my privacy, them being:

1- Did AirVPN bean ever aborded by authorities about P2P usage by it´s users? And if yes, what was the action that AirVPN took; If not, what action would AirVPN take?

2- AirVPN states that it doesn´t log IP Adress and Bandwith, but in the AirVPN program, on stats, it shows the total downloaded amount;

Hello!

Welcome to AirVPN. I think that's the first time I've seen a new user call Air "simple", haha.

1 - No. Air is the silver-tipped stake that pierces the blood-sucking vampire hearts of the anti-P2P organisations, lol. Air even disowned ICANN because (long story short) they suck.

2 - What Air is doing, is making things *transparent* to you. It's pretty inevitable that either Air or their program see things like your IP when you're using their service. What you should be worried about is:

• If they're honest about this happening.
  • What their policy is about it.
  • If they have a history of dishonesty and/or selling out their customers.

The answers to those would be: yes, they're very forceful about data-protection and take a variety of measures to ensure this and are amongst the most highly rated VPNs out there. It's just the same as they're very honest about their server infrastructure and stats about those; which you'd be hard-pressed to find in most other VPNs, the saying goes. Transparency = good.

Air fully allows P2P, because it doesn't discriminate against any protocols. Also, Air is a "logless" VPN, so they presumably don't have a lot of stuff to give authorities anyway. In addition, they turn down DMCA requests if they get them. In fact, I can imagine Air Staff printing out the DMCA requests they get from various toxic organisations and use it to light their campfires when they go camping in the beautiful Italian wilderness, lol ;D.

Besides, Air is super serious about security, which you'd know, if you took a look around these forums . So it's hard to imagine them easily falling prey to any P2P-related issues.

If you're super concerned, you should look into using more than 1 VPN and/or using Bitcoins and other measures to mask yourself.

You can check my guide if you want answers to a variety of other questions as well; including security ones.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello there. I´m currently using a trial of AirVPN and so far i´m liking it: it´s fast and simple.

I just have some questions regarding my privacy, them being:
1- Did AirVPN bean ever aborded by authorities about P2P usage by it´s users? And if yes, what was the action that AirVPN took; If not, what action would AirVPN take?

Hello!

Thank you!

Actually we have made a lot of efforts to design a service that can provide advanced features with remarkable ease of use (some of them unmatched by any other VPN service in the world, such as OpenVPN over Tor with a click and with no need of middle-boxes)

p2p has been and is still one of the most interesting suite of last-generation protocols over IP, so we don't see any problem with it. Not even "authorities" have ever had any issue against specific protocols, why do you ask? In general, our network is agnostic, so it does not discriminate against any protocol (it does not even try to detect which protocol is being used, of course).

2- AirVPN states that it doesn´t log IP Adress and Bandwith, but in the AirVPN program, on stats, it shows the total downloaded amount;

Those data are computed locally by the client. The stats you see in the servers monitor are data data kept in RAM by OpenVPN for each client (such data are "lost" when a session is over).

Kind regards

Air even disowned ICANN because (long story short) they suck.

Well, not at all, that's a very misleading oversimplification. We asserted quite a different thing, i.e. we don't recognize ICANN authority over those domain names that are forcefully "transferred" for an US ICE (or other US entity) order.

The matter is huge, so oversimplification is a terrible mistake. Just to give you an idea of what is at stake have a look here (and that's just an example which involves both IANA and ICANN):

https://techpolicycorner.org/court-refuses-to-block-iana-transition-94dff8ff1405#.ectkurw8j

On the eye of the European Union, the matter is even more worrying, and the European Commission has over and over faced it, but its power and influence on the huge issue of controlling IANA, ICANN etc. are poor, near to zero.

Kind regards

(...)

If you're super concerned, you should look into using more than 1 VPN and/or using Bitcoins and other measures to mask yourself.

You can check my guide if you want answers to a variety of other questions as well; including security ones.

Where can i see you guide?

(...)

Actually we have made a lot of efforts to design a service that can provide advanced features with remarkable ease of use (some of them unmatched by any other VPN service in the world, such as OpenVPN over Tor with a click and with no need of middle-boxes)

(...)

Is there any tutorial on this matter?