Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.218.79

Recently joined and trying to lock down the fort.

How can I patch up the DNS leak? I disabled IPV6 on Ethernet 2 and Wi-Fi adapters, and IPLeak appears to pass. Just DNS leaking.

Hello!

Turn on Network Lock (NL) .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

Alright, I will try to search around on how to enable Network Lock while using OpenVPN/Win10. If you have a link handy, that would be appreciated. I'll have to search around in a few hours if not.

Hello!

Alright, I will try to search around on how to enable Network Lock while using OpenVPN/Win10. If you have a link handy, that would be appreciated. I'll have to search around in a few hours if not.

are you not using the software that AirVPN makes called Eddie?

Hello!

are you not using the software that AirVPN makes called Eddie?

No, I'm not and what it appears is that NetworkLock only applies to AirVPN's client.

I wanted to stick with OpenVPN because the software has been around for a long time and prefer it over the actual VPN's client. I was hoping I wouldn't have too much of an issue with setting up after joining.

Went ahead and downloaded the AirVPN client and very surprised that the IPleak page passed, DNSleak page passed, and IPV6 page test passed as well. Well, it says IPV6 test shows 0/10 because I disabled ipv6 on my actual network adapters.

I would still like to figure out how to resolve the DNSleak for using OpenVPN to connect though out of pure curiosity. Note, I did not even enable Network Lock to pass these tests with Air's client.

Also, noting when I enable IPV6 back on the network adapters, the IPV6 test only passes 9/10. It somehow detects my ISP, so went ahead and disabled IPV6 for now. Not sure if that's preferred.

Well I was assuming you were using Airs client, since it's an excellent client. NL is only available if you use Airs client, yes. I don't see a good reason to use the OpenVPN client much - Airs client is FOSS software, has been around for a while, is constantly being updated, has a huge amount of features and customizeability and really offers a lot which most other VPNs struggle to compete with. The experimental version of the client also offers more ways of dealing with IPv6 and features more ways to manage Windows related firewall issues. With NL on, you avoid many kinds of leaks, if the client doesn't already do so when it's disabled. I'm surprised that you're surprised that the tests passed actually - it could sound like you didn't think Airs software could manage that. I think your DNS issues are due to how Windows 10 handles DNS, which is/was said to be quite poor.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Well I was assuming you were using Airs client, since it's an excellent client. NL is only available if you use Airs client, yes. I don't see a good reason to use the OpenVPN client much - Airs client is FOSS software, has been around for a while, is constantly being updated, has a huge amount of features and customizeability and really offers a lot which most other VPNs struggle to compete with. The experimental version of the client also offers more ways of dealing with IPv6 and features more ways to manage Windows related firewall issues. With NL on, you avoid many kinds of leaks, if the client doesn't already do so when it's disabled. I'm surprised that you're surprised that the tests passed actually - it could sound like you didn't think Airs software could manage that. I think your DNS issues are due to how Windows 10 handles DNS, which is/was said to be quite poor.

Yea, I was a little hesitant with using Air's client because of security concerns and because of other customer reviews. After downloading and seeing that it is much more functional after initial install with no configuration, I am impressed.

Though it is working better than OpenVPN I would like to see what I can do to resolve the DNSleak as an 'experiment'. I will have to test setups on different OS systems I have to see what changes.

Yea, I was a little hesitant with using Air's client because of security concerns and because of other customer reviews. After downloading and seeing that it is much more functional after initial install with no configuration, I am impressed.

Though it is working better than OpenVPN I would like to see what I can do to resolve the DNSleak as an 'experiment'. I will have to test setups on different OS systems I have to see what changes.

Eddie is open source.  What security concerns could you have?

I would still like to figure out how to resolve the DNSleak for using OpenVPN to connect though out of pure curiosity. Note, I did not even enable Network Lock to pass these tests with Air's client.

By setting DNS servers on each interface:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9289-dns-leaks-and-how-to-fix-them/?p=11603

By running your own DNS server (BIND):

https://airvpn.org/topic/9289-dns-leaks-and-how-to-fix-them/?p=9978

I have some IPV6 oddities, not that it matters since I can disable it.

1. The config generator could add "setenv opt block-outside-dns" in some situations to avoid DNS leaks.
  2. Some problems disabling IPV6 with checkbox option in AirVPN client on Win10 x64.

Both of these are resolved with beta client 2.11.5