Not connected, Your IP: 44.220.41.140

When checking ipleak.net with or without using airvpn, i seem to have odd webrtc leaks, although living on east coast USA, it will show a location in the UK. Sometimes when connected to airvpn it shows a leak with an ip in west coast USA. A bit concerning since these IP locations don't seem to be my ISP, even after a fresh windows install it still continues to do this, any idea what the issue is, or should I not be concerned? Seems to be a recent problem, never had this issue before, i thought you guys would be the best at diagnosing issues like this, any help is appreciated!

-Thanks

What is the IP in question? You can post it without the last octet, it will not affect the results.

Some ISPs buy and sell IPs from all over the world due to lack of IPv4 addresses, and this can

cause errors in the IP databases.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

This is a very recent problem, maybe the last one or two days, i'm wondering if its a glitch with ipleak, when connected to airvpn, it shows a random ip in UK, keep in mind i live on the east coast of USA(i deleted the ip pic as i was concerned of posting it online, if a mod needs it i don't mind sending it via pm)

also just wanted to say that this issue seems exclusive to chrome, firefox seems fine, i don't think it's an issue from my end...

This is a very recent problem, maybe the last one or two days, i'm wondering if its a glitch with ipleak, when connected to airvpn, it shows a random ip in UK, keep in mind i live on the east coast of USA(i deleted the ip pic as i was concerned of posting it online, if a mod needs it i don't mind sending it via pm)

So this is what you are seeing in ipleak,net? AirVPN upgraded that to try to get your browser to contact them through any IPv6 interfaces you have.

Have you not disabled IPv6? Are you using Windows? If yes and yes, continue.

Is the IP address you see an IPv6 address, something like 2001:0:5e?5:79fb:1cdc:c49:3?31:7?5c? On my Windows 10 system, the WebRTC check at ipleak.net now checks the "teredo" interface that Windows has enabled by default (maybe called "Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter" when you do "ipconfig /all"). And the address reported is the same as the address on my teredo interface.

So this is what you are seeing in ipleak,net? AirVPN upgraded that to try to get your browser to contact them through any IPv6 interfaces you have.

Have you not disabled IPv6? Are you using Windows? If yes and yes, continue.

Is the IP address you see an IPv6 address, something like 2001:0:5e?5:79fb:1cdc:c49:3?31:7?5c? On my Windows 10 system, the WebRTC check at ipleak.net now checks the "teredo" interface that Windows has enabled by default (maybe called "Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter" when you do "ipconfig /all"). And the address reported is the same as the address on my teredo interface.

Yes the ip looks like that, so I'm assuming its ipv6 i am using windows 10, i have not disabled ipv6 on my computer, this is the first time I'm seeing a webrtc leak in the few years I've used airvpn. As for the toredo address I'm not sure. how should i fix this?

Yes the ip looks like that, so I'm assuming its ipv6 i am using windows 10, i have not disabled ipv6 on my computer, this is the first time I'm seeing a webrtc leak in the few years I've used airvpn. As for the toredo address I'm not sure. how should i fix this?

The usual recommendation is to disable IPv6 (something I no longer want to do):

https://airvpn.org/topic/18108-ipv6-leak/?p=43030

Microsoft has a page to help you do this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/929852

I doubt that any streaming site is likely to use this leak to block you. But if you are worried about the NSA, ...

The usual recommendation is to disable IPv6 (something I no longer want to do):

https://airvpn.org/topic/18108-ipv6-leak/?p=43030

Microsoft has a page to help you do this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/929852

I doubt that any streaming site is likely to use this leak to block you. But if you are worried about the NSA, ...

why do you not want to block ipv6?

why do you not want to block ipv6?

Short answer: so I can fart around with it.

For example, I have heard that from North America, going to European sites through an IPv6 tunnel broker can get you past crappy peering by your ISP.

For example, I have heard that from North America, going to European sites through an IPv6 tunnel broker can get you past crappy peering by your ISP.

This is a myth. Actually RIPE did some measurements last year and the results are not surprising:

Using a measurement granularity of 10ms, its evident that the IPv6 RTT is within 10ms of the IPv4 RTT for 60% of the measurements,

and is slower in 20% of the measurements, and faster also for 20% of the time. The 6to4 case shows that for 65% of the time the 6to4 RTT

measurement is more than 10ms slower than the paired IPv4 measurement.

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/gih/examining-ipv6-performance

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I don't really use airvpn for browsing purposes, more for gaming, however i like to check ipleak every now and then just to ensure everything is working. The web rtc leaks seem exclusive to chrome, I'm still not sure if it's a glitch with ipleak, as nothing on my end has changed, and I've never seen those ips before. Changing my ip, full format doesn't change anything, so I'm assuming the issue is not from my end, maybe an issue with ipleak compatability with chrome?

... so I'm assuming the issue is not from my end, maybe an issue with ipleak compatability with chrome?

For the sake of clarity, this most likely is NOT a problem with ipleak,net. The WebRTC check really is sending data over your "Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter".

In a command Window do "ipconfig /all" and you should see that interface in the list. Also in a command windows do "netsh interface ipv6 show teredo" to see something like this:

>netsh interface ipv6 show teredo
Teredo Parameters
---------------------------------------------
Type                    : client
Server Name             : win10.ipv6.microsoft.com.
Client Refresh Interval : 30 seconds
Client Port             : unspecified
State                   : qualified
Client Type             : teredo client
Network                 : unmanaged
NAT                     : restricted (port)
NAT Special Behaviour   : UPNP: No, PortPreserving: Yes
Local Mapping           : 192.168.??.??:60903
External NAT Mapping    : 2?5.?06.13?.1??:60903
There win10.ipv6.microsoft.com is a teredo server provided by Microsoft.

=====

My comment about avoiding crappy peering by my ISP was not about the relative merits of IPv6 versus IPv4. It was about a problem discussed here:

http://blog.level3.com/open-internet/observations-internet-middleman/

Level 3 is a major internet backbone provider. That blog post was a couple of years ago, but I doubt things have improved much. At about the time that post was made, a few folks were having good luck avoiding the route through their ISP's peering by using an IPv6 tunnel broker not provided by their ISP. Here is a quote from the post:

"That leaves the remaining six peers with congestion on almost all of the interconnect ports between us. Congestion that is permanent, has been in place for well over a year and where our peer refuses to augment capacity. They are deliberately harming the service they deliver to their paying customers. They are not allowing us to fulfil the requests their customers make for content.

Five of those congested peers are in the United States and one is in Europe. There are none in any other part of the world. All six are large Broadband consumer networks with a dominant or exclusive market share in their local market. In countries or markets where consumers have multiple Broadband choices (like the UK) there are no congested peers."

I added the underlining.