Not connected, Your IP: 3.83.32.226
Sign in to follow this  
randomz

Issues with IPv4 & IPv6 Connectivity after AirVPN Installation on Windows 10

Hello fellow AirVPN users,

Here is my issue that I'm experiencing with AirVPN:

Problem: I'm experiencing issues with IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity on my Windows 10 machine. I started experiencing this shortly after installing the AirVPN client. I mainly use this machine on one of two WiFi networks (home and work) and the issue behaves differently on each network.

Work Network: On my work network, "No Network Access" is displayed for both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity on my WiFi status dialog box. I cannot make any sort of internet connection on any application on this network nor can I log-in or connect to AirVPN. I also see a yellow triangle over my WiFi icon on my Windows notifications taskbar.

Home Network: After restarting/rebooting/booting/waking the computer, the WiFi status lists "No Network Access"  for both IPv4 & 6 connectivity. However, when I try to log-in and start an AirVPN server connection through the client, the IPv4 connectivity status changes to "Internet" while the IPv6 connection remains on "No Network Access." The yellow triangle disappears over my taskbar WiFi icon and I'm able to connect to the internet with my browser. My IP address seems to be properly displayed as my AirVPN server's IP and no DNS leak is detected by dnsleaktest.com. However, I used to have IPv6 connectivity on this network prior to installing AirVPN client on this machine. If I disconnect and close AirVPN, the IPv4 connection remains on.

Attempted Solutions:

1. Disabled network lock

2. Ran Windows Network Diagnosis: stated that machine seems to be configured correctly yet DNS connectivity cannot be obtained.

3. Ran a series of "netsh int tcp set..." commands based on the instructions at this website. No success.

Any help would be appreciated. AirVPN works well on my Linux machines but it's critical that I'm able to use it on this Windows machine.

Thanks!!

Well it sounds odd and I'm not quite sure what you were trying to explain, but before I start IPv6 isn't supported on AirVPN servers.

from what you were saying tho it would sound like the DNS settings were stuck at 10.4.0.1 and despite you saying it says the IPv4 connection is on means very little since Windows doesn't update this every second and it is usually done through a DNS query, mind trying to replicate the issues you face and go to network connections and check on your DNS settings? I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly where to go as I do not have windows 10 and will refuse to ever have it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, your work network may be blocking OpenVPN connections on the usual ports, try one of the SSH protocols

Thanks for your response.

I went to the following: "Network and Sharing Center" > "WiFi Status" > "WiFi Properties" > "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties". Under the "General" tab, I noticed that "Obtain DNS server address automatically" was NOT selected. Instead, the "Preferred DNS Server" was 10.4.0.1 and no "Alternate DNS Server" was specified. Is this the setting you are referring too? Should I set it to "automatic?" Just an FYI, the IPv6 setting is set for automatic DNS obtain.

With respect to your "edit" comment, I will look into the SSH functionality. But I want to clarify, that I can't connect to the internet at all on my work network. For my home network, I can't connect to the internet till after I log-in and connect to an AirVPN server. After I make an AirVPN connection, my internet works well, and I can even disrupt my AirVPN connection and still utilized the internet.

Thank you!

Hi,

I'm new here and opened your post because I thought is was related to windows 10.  I currently using another VPN service and testing AIRVPN to see how it works for me.  In regards to your question which may have been resolved already, yes you need to delete the static DNS entries under IPV4.  I noticed the same thing on my adapter after a few failed attempts, I shutdown the client but the static DNS entries remained.  You should also disabled IPV6 if not in used as most VPN clients will leak or do not support IPV6.  You can also flush your dns via CMD in the future "ipconfig/flushdns".  Please let me know how the client behaves in windows 10 in regards to stability, connection times and speeds if you can spare some time, thank you.