Not connected, Your IP: 54.210.126.232
zxy-kille

How secure is AirVPN

Hi In sweden there is a company claiming they have used a german company breitelbart or similar to scan all that have downloaded certain titles via p2p last 6 months. So now there will be invoices sent out and threats on going to court.

1. So I wonder how secure is Air VPN??

2. Do you save any logs at all?

3. If so how long?

4. Would you or have you ever given logs to anyone?

5. If one has installed Eddie + network lock how big is the chance of such a company to see ones real IP?

6. If one has eddie running and no dns leak..and a p2p (like Vuze) going and theres an interuption in Eddie so it goes

down and start over again, what is the chance of your real IP showing in a trackingtool that theis company use??

7. If one has no DNS leak according to plek and other tools..does that mean the IP is protected?

8. How strong is Air VPN encryption?

9. Is there anything more then setting up eddie+network lock that can be done to raise security?

best regards

AirVPN says they do not keep any logs.

Using network lock does that no inbound or outbound connections on your real IP can be made, with inbound they'd have to know your real IP to begin with, on outbound they can't even find out your real IP because the connection attempt is blocked before it gets anywhere unless it is over the VPN

AirVPN encryption information is on the homepage, if the client goes down and you don't have network lock the chance of a leak depends on a lot of things so it is hard to say. a DNS leak isn't necessarily something that'd leak your IP other than the IP of the server you send DNS requests to

Using network lock does that no inbound or outbound connections on your real IP can be made, with inbound they'd have to know your real IP to begin with, on outbound they can't even find out your real IP because the connection attempt is blocked before it gets anywhere unless it is over the VPN

AirVPN encryption information is on the homepage, if the client goes down and you don't have network lock the chance of a leak depends on a lot of things so it is hard to say. a DNS leak isn't necessarily something that'd leak your IP other than the IP of the server you send DNS requests to

Well written Embers. However, to be asking such stuff only points to the fact that this questioner is a Tosser

Well written Embers. However, to be asking such stuff only points to the fact that this questioner is a Tosser

Tosser?

i do not recommend the downloading of illegal files also i recommend using duckduck go as google certainly logs your searches most VPN providers comply with the DMCA especaially US based VPN providers but VPNs are not invincible

Tosser?

Tosser = Wanker = Nob End = Twit = A person who has done very little to find out for themselves when plenty of rescouces are available

i do not recommend or not recommend, not and not recommend,,; the downloading of illegal files also i recommend using duckduck go as google certainly logs your searches most VPN providers comply with the DMCA especaially US based VPN providers but VPNs are not invincible

You can recommend all you like, who cares?

i do not recommend the downloading of illegal files also i recommend using duckduck go as google certainly logs your searches most VPN providers comply with the DMCA especaially US based VPN providers but VPNs are not invincible

If content providers made an effort to make content available everywhere there'd be fewer people stealing it.

watch eli the computer guy on youtube he's got one of the best channels and personally i think he's off his medz

which that and of itself is awesum

security like anything else, whether for your business or home or stuff in general is all about layers

think of a bullet proof vest as example, itz layers

also there is the question of the 'threat model' that means what am i defending myself against

if i'm defending against say my neighbor's grandmother who is a pro hacker and she has been trying to steal my apple pie

recipe to build her empire with, well that's one person or two or three most and probably with limited resources

if i'm defending against a state actor or well funded group of fun loven folks then yeah, that is a completely diff threat model even if they are after the same thing, the apple pie recipe

plus, goes further, protecting an apple pie recipe is different than say protecting someone in a geo location from human rights violations, so that is sumthin to really keep in mind

yer questions are absolutely valid but they are also relative to what your specific threat model is

plus, lets not forget and i'll use myself as an example, coz well, i love talken about puppy treats, how am i configd? how am i accessing my box and where to from when etc

yeah, itz all fun an gamez till someone loses a packet....

k, i'm gonna go google 'why do i sniff other folk's butts' now....

Using qBittorrent and joining a swarm for a "popular" movie, the IP addresses seeding and uploading are visible. These are displayed by country. A  better bit of analysis software could identify the ISP. The problem for the copyright mercenaries trying to loot or deter "pirates" in many countries is that the ISP does not have to forward infringement notices and threats, or supply details of the account holder to the bounty hunters. But in some countries they do, and times change.

With qBittorrent, the reverse DNS lookup shows many peers are not using a VPN, and these are the easy pickings for the mercenaries. The legal and technical ability to break into a "competent", "reputable" VPN is not necessary in the copyright industry.

But serious criminal matters such as drugs and money deals could draw heat on hosting or VPN providers in some countries.

And national security or terrorism related activity is beyond disclosure or prediction as to security issues for most privacy aware people. 

Just some thoughts about degrees of security,  and "rational paranoia".

If content providers made an effort to make content available everywhere there'd be fewer people stealing it.

Copyright infringement has nothing to do with stealing, because copyright is not a property but an enforced monopoly that grants exploitation and  rights (with limitations and exceptions) of an original intellectual work.

In most legal frameworks, stealing and copyright infringements with profit purposes are completely different criminal infringements, while copyright infringement without profit purposes is a civil offense, not a criminal infringement at all.

Maybe your demented definition has been encouraged or influenced by the campaign of some copyright enforcement agencies which preferred to make confusion in advertising campaigns clearly targeted to ignorant people.

Kind regards

I like answering to points in a numbered list. No kidding. Also, because I'm trying to kill time here.

1. So I wonder how secure is Air VPN??

8. How strong is Air VPN encryption?

256 bit AES-encrypted tunnel with 4096 bit RSA keys. It's a common setup in today's VPN market. Some providers, plus AirVPN, implemented Forward Secrecy guaranteeing you that connections of today are much harder to be decrypted years later. All this can be read on the home page, by the way.

2. Do you save any logs at all?

3. If so how long?

4. Would you or have you ever given logs to anyone?

ANONYMOUS VPN PROVIDERS? 2016 EDITION (TF)

5. If one has installed Eddie + network lock how big is the chance of such a company to see ones real IP?

6. If one has eddie running and no dns leak..and a p2p (like Vuze) going and theres an interuption in Eddie so it goes

down and start over again, what is the chance of your real IP showing in a trackingtool that theis company use??

Eddie is just a wrapper for OpenVPN and Network Lock is a set of firewall rules preventing out-of-tunnel traffic. The chance is practically zero if the latter is activated.

7. If one has no DNS leak according to plek and other tools..does that mean the IP is protected?

A VPN does not protect you from anything, it merely forwards your traffic to somewhere else. It's still your traffic, after all, it's just "marked" as coming from the AirVPN server.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I could go down to any public house right now and find someone to buy drugs from and initiate any kind of illegal activities. Does that mean the world shuts down all public meeting places? It is a ridiculous situation that so called clever people have got themselves into. A bit like Darwin trying to explain evolution without any fossil evidence, of which there isn't.

Maybe your demented definition has been encouraged or influenced by the campaign of some copyright enforcement agencies which preferred to make confusion in advertising campaigns clearly targeted to ignorant people.

Kind regards

Loving the insult, truely. But no my demented definition has not been encouraged, influenced or forced. I simply responded to a person with the words I assumed he'd understand.

I agree with this. Or better, there'd be fewer people choosing illegal downloading. I know people who sometimes fire up Bittorrent to quickly download a movie. They themselves say they do it only because there are not many legal options. You either pay and don't get much or you pay "a month's salary".

I'd like to point you at the fact you just got personal because someone misused the word "stealing".

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Another aspect of bittorrent distribution is the availability of otherwise unavailable or difficult to obtain artifacts, for legal, commercial, political or historical reasons.

There is a degree of "poignancy" to recordings of Furtwangler conducting the Berlin Philharmonic performing Beethoven Symphony 9 in 1942, when a million young men had gone to the Eastern Front, but no letters came. Or a 1966 movie of "War and Peace" from the Soviet Union, when it was changing to revisionist from stalinist and revisited it's past culture.

And Chomsky's "Requiem for the American Dream" about the manipulation of "democracy", which is more than just about the USA, downloaded in India, Indonesia, Australia, Germany, ...

And the strange popularity of Australian movies such as "Animal Kingdom" and TV series such as "Rake" for English speakers in India.

This social phenomenon is maybe happening via social media and maybe in educational settings, outside the media "industries" and their lobbyists, and purchased politicians behind things like blocking websites in the UK.

I could go down to any public house right now and find someone to buy drugs from and initiate any kind of illegal activities. Does that mean the world shuts down all public meeting places? It is a ridiculous situation that so called clever people have got themselves into. A bit like Darwin trying to explain evolution without any fossil evidence,

did you mean a house of ill repute, 

i do not recommend or not recommend, not and not recommend,,; the downloading of illegal files also i recommend using duckduck go as google certainly logs your searches most VPN providers comply with the DMCA especaially US based VPN providers but VPNs are not invincible

You can recommend all you like, who cares?

I apologise for any offense I caused, we are all on the same side after all

I could go down to any public house right now and find someone to buy drugs from and initiate any kind of illegal activities. Does that mean the world shuts down all public meeting places? It is a ridiculous situation that so called clever people have got themselves into. A bit like Darwin trying to explain evolution without any fossil evidence,

did you mean a house of ill repute, 

A pub that sells beer is all lol