Not connected, Your IP: 44.222.116.199
ghostp

Prevent Seize of AirVPN servers?

Hello,

fter I've read this article http://thehackernews.com/2016/09/vpn-server-police.html I am wonder if the same can happen to AirVPN? Regarding to his, what does AirVPN do to prevent this kind of raids and seizes?

I'm not at all an expert on the legalities or technicalities of VPN services, however AirVPN as i understand it has their servers configured to write their server logs to /dev/null (essentially the void, lost forever never written to the hard drives). If the legal entity were to seize the server there would not be much to find as they record no information. AirVPN would lose a server location and it would probably make some news headlines on TorrentFreak. If the feds want to catch somebody in the act they would need to tap the entry and exit ip of the server and correlate your traffic to the crime committed, or worse yet install malware on your system (yes the feds can do this).

TL;DR The feds have an easier time catching criminals with the server on rather than sending in a swat team to a server bank every time there is a complaint.

But as i said i am no expert, so it would be best to seek a better explanation from @staff

Hmm, i think there is nothing a provider can really do about it. You cannot prevent some mentally deranged people from doing nasty and despicable  stuff behind a VPN. Such individuals do in fact exist but i assume that is a minority. 

If the servers are being seized and the company keeps no logs, nothing really happens. They can replace the servers and issue a warning and that's about it.

Regards

Fox

I am wonder if the same can happen to AirVPN?

Let's hold a minute of silence for Prokyon and Theemim, the UA servers stolen by Ukrainian "Security Services".

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I'm surprised at them. Best to avoid NL servers for anyone in Europe? Just to be on the safe side?

I'm surprised at them. Best to avoid NL servers for anyone in Europe? Just to be on the safe side?

There's almost nothing on these servers useful for identifying you - or what you did.

There's almost nothing on these servers useful for identifying you - or what you did.

good then no one will ever find out of my impersonation of "Buffalo Bill" dancing scene.

good then no one will ever find out of my impersonation of "Buffalo Bill" dancing scene.

Ah come on, provide us with a link

... no one will find out. Except for when you tell us. Good job.

... no one will find out. Except for when you tell us. Good job.

i trust you won't tell anyone 

I would appreciate if a staff member could comment my entry post!

Thank you in advance :-)

There is nothing much to comment, you cannot prevent legal actions which may result in server seizures, what is

possible to do is ensuring that no customer sensitive data is saved on the servers any more than it is technically necessary

for the connection itself, which is the case with Air.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

You could just write that you didn't want anyone to answer you but Staff. Which is not cool.

You could just write that you didn't want anyone to answer you but Staff. Which is not cool.

I basically thougt that because of the technical issue no one else can answer my question besides the staff. It was not my intention to let someone feel uncomfortable. If someone here feels like this, than respectfully I am very sorry!

Are we good? ;-)