Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.46.120

Hello,

i have tried to install OpenVPN GUI as a replacement for the Eddi client, because I have this TAP-driver /Win10 issues. I have uninstalled Eddi and installed the OpenVPN GUI. But after I start the OpenVPN GUI I get the following error message.

Does anyone know how I can fix that, so I can use AirVPN at least with the OpenVPN GUI. I am sure that Eddi is uninstalled proper. Is there maybe anything deep in the system what cause this problem? My system is WIN10 Pro.

i have tried to install OpenVPN GUI as a replacement for the Eddi client, because I have this TAP-driver /Win10 issues.

Quite a poor reason to uninstall it as the TAP driver thing has been discussed so utterly extensive that I think it's only topped by the discussion whether dark matter exists or not. You even posted in the thread over there.

Anyway, it points to the openvpn.exe of AirVPN. You wrote you uninstalled it, therefore, there should be no openvpn.exe anymore.

And since you run it in Program Files, execute with admin rights.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

well, a long discusion doesn´t mean, that a general solution was found. or to make it short, non of the tips in both threads helped me to fix the tap issue. and I have tried all. therefore I want switch to openvpn in the hope, that the tap-driver problem occurs there not and i can use airvpn again.

but it would be great if you can explain your last sentence

"And since you run it in Program Files, execute with admin rights."

with some more words about what should I do:

well, a long discusion doesn´t mean, that a general solution was found. or to make it short, non of the tips in both threads helped me to fix the tap issue. and I have tried all. therefore I want switch to openvpn in the hope, that the tap-driver problem occurs there not and i can use airvpn again.

openvpn GUI and AirVPN both use whatever TAP driver is installed on your system.  If you install the older version of the TAP driver that everybody agrees is the best just use the option in Eddie that prevents upgrading the TAP driver.

Hello!

Meaning you right-click the program and select "run as administrator" .

Sent to you from me with datalove

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

@g0558a83nk: as I wrote. unfortunately non of the recommended drivers / eddi combinations were the solution for me. after a short time, AirVPN will stop to work and it is the most time difficult to reconnect with any AirVPN server afterwards.

@LZ1 thanks but running OpenVPN with admin rights cause the same error message. Or did you mean something else?

I scanned my system with the ccleaner and Iobit-uninstaller and couldn´t find anymore AirVPN files in my system.

Try starting up in Safe Mode with Networking then install and run Eddie. No need to change any settings (Eddie) at this point, just see if the connection stays put for however longer than a 'short time' is! You may not be able to change settings anyway in Safe Mode. If it stays connected then restart normally, run Eddie (not as admin), change settings as required, see how it goes.

I tried this albeit using a Win7 VM, experimental Eddie. It installed TAP 9.0.0.21. I've never had any problems with the TAP so I don't usually follow closely what the problems with it are. It is possible that the problem is not the TAP driver.

Good luck.

Thanks TobysNose but I have already done this and no improvment. I have Win10 pro. With Win7 and AirVPN I had never problems too. They occurred after I updated my PCs to Win10.

So that´s why I hope AirVPN goes maybe better for me with OpenVPN. But at the moment I still stuck at this error.

Try the portable client. There should be no path issues like the one you posted in the portable one.

This is the bug/issue you encounter by the way, and it is an issue with the upstream OpenVPN GUI:

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/openvpn-gui-reinstall-to-different-path-breaks-it

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/249

If you still want to use OpenVPN GUI and not Eddie, the official solution is:

For now you can fix this by either removing OpenVPN-GUI's registry keys (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OpenVPN-GUI) and running OpenVPN-GUI (as an admin), or by changing the value of the registry key which tells OpenVPN-GUI where to look for openvpn.exe.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Try the portable client. There should be no path issues like the one you posted in the portable one.

This is the bug/issue you encounter by the way, and it is an issue with the upstream OpenVPN GUI:

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/openvpn-gui-reinstall-to-different-path-breaks-it

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/249

If you still want to use OpenVPN GUI and not Eddie, the official solution is:

For now you can fix this by either removing OpenVPN-GUI's registry keys (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OpenVPN-GUI) and running OpenVPN-GUI (as an admin), or by changing the value of the registry key which tells OpenVPN-GUI where to look for openvpn.exe.

Thank you! That was it. It is interesting to see, that I don´t have the TAP issues with the OpenVPN GUI. It is running absolutely stable the whole day with no single rupture. So I still hope there will be in the nearer future a solution for the Eddi client, or whatever the problem cause, because to use the OpenVPN client is by far not so convenient as the Eddi client.

You should try the 2.11.3 portable, or make sure to uninstall any previous OpenVPN registry values.

What do you mean with "portable"? I know the Eddi 2.11.3 and tried them, but had still the TAP issue. So is the portable a diffent one and if yes, how can I find them?

I have tested now the portable Eddi version since a couple of days and it works totaly fine and stable. There are no TAP-driver issues as I have it with the normal Eddi-Client.

For Windows, Eddie 2.11.x comes packaged with tun/tap driver 9.21.2 while Eddie 2.10.3 includes tun/tap driver 9.21.1.

Kind regards