Not connected, Your IP: 3.94.150.98
Macppl

What is the overhead traffic from Eddie about?

I am using Eddie 2.11.3 in latest Mac OSX . I found there was continual overhead traffic from Eddie, no matter what protocol I am using. The traffic was triggered each 10 seconds and sized several hunderds KBits. I am worried about it because it looks like a malcilous activity. Is it a normal situation? What is the traffic about and used for?​

​Attached my screen capture about the situation. Thank you in advance.

Hello!

I think it's normal back and forth updating with the Air servers or something of that order . However computers themselves can be quite chatty, if you haven't stopped them from being so through things like firewalls.

Sent to you from me with datalove

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

If your client doesn't talk with the server, the server will kill the connection. Especially using UDP which is a connection-less protocol. If I was a server and I'd talk to someone but this someone wouldn't say anything I may think he's dead or something.

The traffic you see is the server asking the client if it's still there, the client answering with "Yes". It's called a keepalive.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Looking at your tiff screen from your network monitor, the up and down traffic looks very symmetric, so seems more like some sort of echo or keep alive or polling overhead than malicious penetration or uploading.

On Windows, I have been curious enough about odd traffic to install Wireshark https://www.wireshark.org which does packet analysis, and it appears to also have an OSX version. Seems recommended by network professions, but you may need to learn a bit about Internet Protocol to understand what you are seeing. You need to intercept the traffic at the interface before openvpn tap.