Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.157.73
Sign in to follow this  
Stack of computer parts

Help needed on 'slightly' modified setup from pfsense_fan's guide

Sorry for not posting this in the discussion post for your guide pfsense_fan but I figure this was so left field it would derail any convos going on there.

So I am playing with virtual machines. I have a setup where Dom0 is not online, I have a Hardened BSD version of OpnSense in control of two network adatpers (re1, and re0). I want to lay the groundwork for having multiple VMs, on air or clearnet routed through opnsenseVM. I followed pfsense_fan's guide for how to setup with 2 NICs but I am stuck getting clear net running.

I had assumed that one WAN(re0-air) would handle vpn traffic and it is doing that which is great.

The other WAN(re1-clearnet) Isnt connected to anything. How would one create a separate outbound connection? Do I need to create a lan for the clearnet WAN and use that lan as a gateway?

I guess part of my confusion is why would you need 2(or3) NICs when one was all that was needed to get the setup working. Perhaps I am confused because of the virtual nature of my setup.

Another option I had was to run a clear net opnsense vm but I kind of wanted to conserve resources on the host machine.

The host is linux running qemu-kvm.

network topology:

modem-switch---re0------Opnsense---vms

\_re1___/