Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.42.94

I was just wondering if there is method to use AirVpn service to tunnel other then just openvpn. I do realize and understand how to initiate openvpn through an ssh tunnel but was wondering if tunneling other traffic is allowed using ssh tunneling programs such as putty or bitvise tunnelier. The reason or benefit of tunneling traffic in such a manner because it makes it possible to do selective tunneling of applications rather than all traffic tunneling at once. Also using such method you can create several linked tunnels within each other and or even combine different ssh providers makeing the task of tracing the traffic's path back to your ip more difficult. Each time a tunnel is established you use it's local port and ip for establishing the next tunnel.

For me the benefit is simply I would like to be able to select which applications are tunneled and which ones are not.

It's a pity and many of us asked AirVPN for it but it only offers ssh with openvpn, it's also useful to encrypt our traffic in schools/jobs, etc without admin rights

For me the benefit is simply I would like to be able to select which applications are tunneled and which ones are not.

This can be done using a VM and a SOCKS server on it. Then you can force some applications on the host use the VM as a SOCKS5 proxy,

which has a route to AirVPN. Actually SSH is not necessary for this task at all.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

so your suggesting to create a vm in which will establish connection to airvpn and on that vm install a socks server? I guess you could probably even do that with ssh too right? Just install ssh server on the vm and connect to ssh from outside the vm. Can this be acheived on a pfsense machine thats connected via openvpn? If perhaps I was to enable the ssh on pfsense and connect to it, would the traffic be routed through the openvpn the same the Lan traffic is, or would this require special configuration?

so your suggesting to create a vm in which will establish connection to airvpn and on that vm install a socks server? I guess you could probably even do that with ssh too right? Just install ssh server on the vm and connect to ssh from outside the vm. Can this be acheived on a pfsense machine thats connected via openvpn? If perhaps I was to enable the ssh on pfsense and connect to it, would the traffic be routed through the openvpn the same the Lan traffic is, or would this require special configuration?

That's correct, you can use SSH as well, just configure OpenVPN on that machine first. SOCKS is actually a more robust solution since it allows you to

use Windows a the VM as well, but generally you can use anything that acts as a socket forwarder, SOCKS5 or SSH server.

This will work on pfSense as well, just make another custom rule that will route your LAN IP on the specific incoming port via the VPN interface and not

via the WAN interface as it will do by default.

Then on your client you can run:

ssh -C -D 8080 pfsense_ip

and use your tunnel, where you have to specify your pfsense_ip and port 8080 as a SOCKS5 server, you can also set it as a global proxy in

the internet settings (Windows), Network > Proxy > SOCKS proxies (OSX), and in your window manager (Linux) for global OS tunnel.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.