Not connected, Your IP: 3.143.0.157
zhang888

VPN service with many announced countries failed, and how it potentially affects you as a customer

So, without further ado, I recommend you to read this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VPN/comments/4x2t3g/nordvpn_issue_servers_down_and_other_servers/

While I have nothing against that particular service, or any other competitive services for that matter,

I am against the approach of some VPN providers picking as many exits as they can, even in countries

where they cannot physically own a dedicated server, and advertising that as a truly dedicated fair-share

VPN node.

If you read my posts before, I used to expose such marketing tricks in the past and I will try to do that in

the future, since if the VPN providers cannot be transparent enough, it's the community power that will

force them to be more transparent, or expose such bad practices.

This is a great example why datacenters and countries should be picked, and thoroughly tested carefully

before offering the node to the public, as well as why it doesn't mean that the more flags you have in the

statistics page, the more it means your provider is better, or has better country coverage.

Most VPN providers that rely on VPS services and not real servers will fail one day or another, so the real

take-away you should have from this story is, double and triple check the reputation of your VPN, before you sign up.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hello !

I've been waiting on you to make this thread ;D. I suppose the problem is that the VPN industry has no official standards; which leaves users with the responsibility to select the best service, even though this might as well be done at random, if you don't understand any of the technical terms. As you've frequently said Zhang, a lot of VPN services are plagued by the 4 horsemen of poor practises: overselling, dishonesty, not transparent & poor technical standards.

It's a shame when a VPN providers website design is better than their service, isn't it haha.

You once said something to the effect of that VPS servers are not in themselves the problem; the problem is when you're not honest to your customers about using them. Perhaps that's worth adding

I'd love to co-opt a guide with you on determining if a VPN service is good, but I don't know if anyone would even read it lol. I mention this because you state that one should double & triple-check a providers reputation, but I think many people aren't sure what to really look for, except superficial indicators such as "download speed" or number of countries covered; wherein it's quite possible to find 5-10 comments saying " yea it's really good!".

Thanks for the link.

Sent to you from me with datalove

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I was using for 3 days Nordvpn before i sign to AirVPN. 

They are catching people, just because they are Panama based. After you log in, and start use this virtual servers you get literally rekt. 

They have bad porting, performance and this bot support kills you with their question  

It's cool when other VPN providers point to Air's ipleak.net for DNS leaks

That discussion in reddit is of customers that are  using p2p or torrenting in not-p2p servers. That is the reason they are  reroute to servers that support it. That not means that NordVpn is using VPS. Also they state in their website the servers that allow p2p.