Not connected, Your IP: 34.229.50.161
psychlops

Eddie 2.10.3 network lock breaks AirDrop on Mac, causes Airport Extreme confusion

I'm running OSX ElCapitan 10.11.6. I just got a new iPad pro a couple of days ago, (by the way, it was surprisingly easy to get AirVPN running on it  ), but network lock is causing a problem. 

When network lock is active, AirDrop disconnects. When I disconnect network lock, AirDrop works again. Everything else seems to work fine with network lock enabled. I can transfer files and synch over wifi, use bluetooth devices, and I have full internet access on both my Mac and iPad. I just cant use AirDrop. When I disable network lock, I can use AirDrop and Eddie normally, but I don't have the protection of nl.

It's also causing some sort of error with my Airport Extreme router. With network lock disabled, the router shows in Airport Utility as being connected, but when I enable it, the router shows up with a warning symbol  as not connected to the network anymore, although both devices still work online and I still have wifi and bluetooth. 

It's not a deal breaker. I'm running Eddie with network lock disabled now and everything works perfectly, but I'd like to see you fix this if possible. 

And thanks for providing such a great and reliable service!  

Hello!

Bonjour is now allowed with Network Lock. If any of the issues you cited were caused by Bonjour block, now they are fixed if "Allow private/LAN" is enabled (ticked). Upgrade to 2.11.3 beta and test.

If the problem is not solved you can explicitly allow the IP addresses required by those protocols in "AirVPN" > "Preferences" > "Network Lock".

Kind regards

Thanks. I appreciate the quick response.

I'm not using Bonjour, but I!l try allowing the IP's later when I get to my Mac.

This is an old topic, but I'm reviving it because it was easier just to not use AirDrop before   but now I'd like to get this working if possible.

I'm still using Eddie 2.10.3 (and "Allow private/LAN" is enabled) but my Mac OS is now Sierra 10.12.2. Has Eddie 2.11b solved this (I'm not too adventurous in my old age, and I hesitate to install a beta, but if it would solve this issue I will), or is there an easy way to do this with my current setup? 

If I do it with either version, you mentioned "explicitly allow the IP addresses required". What are these IP addresses? All help would be appreciated, the easier the better!

Thanks!

AirDrop uses local network addresses to transfer files, so if you allow local networks in Eddie, it should work, regardless of the macOS version.

This is exactly the same as sending a file over SCP/SSH to a neighbor machine just with a more intuitive UI.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I forgot to mention I'm a networking ignoramus. What are the IP addresses for these local networks? What goes in the "Addresses allowed" box? And should the mode be set to Automatic or OSX-PF?

Thanks for your help!

if you allow local networks in Eddie...

Hello!

Eddie>Preferences>Network Lock>Allow LAN>Save.

LAN = Local Area Network.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I can confirm that it also not working in the 2.11 beta.  Works fine if I connect without Network Lock on, but if Network Lock is enabled, airdrop "drops out".  

I can confirm that it also not working in the 2.11 beta.  Works fine if I connect without Network Lock on, but if Network Lock is enabled, airdrop "drops out".  

Might be good if you list which Beta as well

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I just tried it again with Eddie 2.11.15 on OS 10.12.2 and AirDrop is still broken with Network Lock enabled. 

I've had a couple of dropped connections within the last month and I'm not comfortable using Eddie without Network Lock, but AirDrop is a big feature of the Mac/iOS combination, and this issue needs to get fixed.

Has anyone, on any MacOS  / Eddie combination ever gotten AirDrop to work with Network Lock enabled?

I just tried it again with Eddie 2.11.15 on OS 10.12.2 and AirDrop is still broken with Network Lock enabled. 

I've had a couple of dropped connections within the last month and I'm not comfortable using Eddie without Network Lock, but AirDrop is a big feature of the Mac/iOS combination, and this issue needs to get fixed.

Has anyone, on any MacOS  / Eddie combination ever gotten AirDrop to work with Network Lock enabled?

I assume you have allow local/lan switched on?

Yes. See photo above (from Eddie 2.10, but it's always on).

AirDrop seamlessly ties desktop Macs to phones and tablets, and it's a big feature to sacrifice in order to use Eddie.

Still broken on 2.12.4. 

Couldn't find an emoji for "disappointed".

Is AirVPN even working on this problem? Is there any official word on this? 

This isn't really an AirVPN issue.  I can't find a VPN company where this works property (assuming they have a comparably competent network lock).  That tells me that it's likely a OSX system limitation.  It's probably not reasonably possible to both redirect all of the network connections into a VPN tunnel and allow airdrop to function at the same time. You are going to have to choose between the super lock-down security of network lock and the airdrop functionality, because the method of making one work breaks the other in OSX.  Maybe someday Apple will change the way their stuff works to make this easier, or a new method will be discovered by someone, but for now, it's common for this to break if you don't want a chance of any leaks.

Still broken on 2.12.4. 

Couldn't find an emoji for "disappointed".

Is AirVPN even working on this problem? Is there any official word on this? 

For testing purpose, please install AirVPN client version 2.11.15

Go to AirVPN settings/preferences

In tab Network lock: Mode: Automatic and checkmark on Allow lan/private

In tab Routes click + and add your local network for example IP/Host: 192.168.1.0/24, Action: Inside the VPN tunnel, Notes : Test or leave it blanc.

do the same for outside the vpn tunnel

Click on Save

Restart your computer/laptop.

Let us know the outcome!

It worked for me on a Windows 7 64-Bit OS with network lock enabled.

You're not afraid of the dark web, are you ?

Thanks for the explanation.

I was hoping there would be some exception that could be written, like the "allow LAN" option, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to understand the limitations of either Eddie or macOS as far as this goes.

Maybe one day it'll work, but in the meantime network lock is much more important.

For testing purpose, please install AirVPN client version 2.11.15...

Let us know the outcome!

I will, ASAP! That will be great if it works!

But first, a dumb question... how do I find the local network IP/Host? Is this my IPv4 address?

For testing purpose, please install AirVPN client version 2.11.15...

Let us know the outcome!

I will, ASAP! That will be great if it works!

But first, a dumb question... how do I find the local network IP/Host? Is this my IPv4 address?

You can find any Macs IP, or your IP address from the Mac System Preferences Network configuration screen:

• From the Apple menu pull down “System Preferences”
  • Click on the “Network” preference pane
  • Your IP address will be visible to the right, as indicated in the screenshot below

ip-address-mac-610x206.jpg

Your IP address is the number listed, in the above case it is 192.168.0.100.

This is how to find the IP address of your Mac through the Terminal, this is often the quickest way for those that are more technically inclined.

• Launch the Terminal located in /Applications/Utilities/
  • Type the following command:

ifconfig |grep inet

• You will see something that looks like this:

inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128

inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

inet6 fe80::fa1e:dfff:feea:d544%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5

inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

• Your IP address is usually next to the last entry of ‘inet’ and in this case is 192.168.0.100, an IP address is always in the format of x.x.x.x but it will never be 127.0.0.1 because that is your machines loopback address. Because you can always ignore 127.0.0.1, this guarantees that your IP address will be the other IP between ‘inet’ and ‘netmask’

I really appreciate your help, but it's not working the way I'm doing it. My computer is connected directly through Ethernet and bypasses the Airport, but my iPad is connected through Airport, so they're both active:

http://www34.zippyshare.com/scaled/k3ffKHY3/file.html

I tried adding the Ethernet IP and it didn't work. Then I tried the Airport IP, and that didn't work. Then I tried both, and still not working. When you say “do the same for outside the tunnel”, I assume that means add another rule, so there are two rules for each:

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 8.53.25 AM.jpghttp://www68.zippyshare.com/thumb/3B1PTbZe/file.html

Am I doing this wrong?

I seem to be having a problem with posting images today.

Hi,

Please check your ipad settings: Go to settings > Wifi > and click on the info icon next to the SSID / Wifi networkname.

What do you see next to IP-address, Subnet and Router ?

For example:

IP address: 192.168.1.10

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

When you say “do the same for outside the tunnel”, I assume that means add another rule, so there are two rules for each:

Correct

IP address: 10.0.1.5

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Router: 10.0.1.1

And you thought you were going to have a relaxing Sunday!   

By the way, is it correct to have both sets of rules, for Ethernet and WiFi, as in the screenshot?