Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.94.166

Hi there,

Just bought a yearly plan from AirVPN. All is working fine on Android, but both on windows and linux it's not at all. I prefer using openvpn through the ubuntu-network manager. That gets me connected, but I can't open any site. With Eddie I do get connected and, for about a maximum of ten minutes (but more often 30 sec.), I can sometimes actually surf the internet. After that my modem will crash and automatically reboot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

logs:

. 2016.08.03 14:39:24 - OpenVPN > [server] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

Relevant line. If you're torrenting, Connection last 1 minute, then no speed suggests to turn off uTP. Other threads can be found by just searching for the error, there are numerous

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks! I wasn't torrenting, though (didn't even get that far) and I haven't found anything on the forum about crashing modems. Believe me, I did look for it extensively...

I'm simply not tech savvy enough to interpret the logs, but couldn't this have something to do with Eddie forcing ipv6 connections where my ISP is not providing it for me? And if so: how do I deal with it?

You didn't find anything about crashing modems because Eddie has no ability of doing so

The code in Eddie just "wraps" the function of another software called OpenVPN, but with a nice GUI

and some customization to provide the benefits that this service offers.

The only thing that can crash the modem is either buggy modem firmware or some unusual load

that will make your modem unresponsive (which is kind of same thing as above).

If you have logs from your modem, or model/firmware versions you can Google and see if anyone

has a similar issue.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I would also like to have the OP make sure he is talking about his modem and not the router.  Perhaps his hardware is a modem and router in one.  I make this suggestion to look because I have had extensive problems in the past using Eddie plus TOR on WIRELESS.  The Air tunnel is extensively encrypted with TOR compounding the math.  My "run of the mill" router gets hammered using wireless, but smokes along at 50 + all day long using ethernet and no wireless and that is over 5 hops!

Are you in a position to experiment with your hardware using only  wired/ethernet and see how it performs?

https://airvpn.org/topic/14520-airvpn-client-makes-my-modem-restart/?hl=%2Bmodem+%2Bcrash&do=findComment&comment=29054

according to this thread you should try TCP protocol to see if that doesn't fix things.  obviously a modem shouldn't crash just because of a UDP connection but workaround...

All right, that workaround worked just fine. That is: I switched to TCP on a high port through Eddie and am now up and running, seemingly without any problem in terms of connection. Great! Thanks for that!

Things are not quite all perfect yet, though, cause I'm leaking DNS, which basically defeats a large chunk of the reason to run the VPN, so I'll do some more testing to see if I can fix that. Again, that isn't the case on Android, so I'm sure it's fixable.

BTW:

I would also like to have the OP make sure he is talking about his modem and not the router. 

It's the modem. I have a rather stupid and frustrating modem (with the wifi switched off) - Ubee from Kabel/Unitymedia, Germany - to which I connected a TPLink router that handles everything for me. It is the modem that crashed on UDP.