Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.231.235
Valunker

Slow speed with default dns is it safe to use opendns or google dns

Browsing speed is slow when using AirVPN default DNS 10.4.0.1 but when I switch to OpenDns there is improvement in browsing speed.

Is google dns and open dns a safe alternative to default DNS.

Hello !

​If Air thought the other DNS servers were safe/better, then they wouldn't provide their own DNS I'm sure. By using Airs DNS, you're most safe. Google for one, is a massive data-collector, so it should be a given that they shouldn't be prioritised, if you care about privacy . In addition, if you don't use the Air DNS then you won't be able to use some of Airs double-hop techniques, that allow you access certain supported websites, from any server, regardless of country. (So for instance, not having to switch to a UK server to watch a UK show). ​There may be other reasons why the Air DNS is slower or experienced as slow, but since we have so little information to go on, we can't say anything for sure .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

You can use Google DNS i dont See any Problem your Connection is anyway secured with vpn

You can use Google DNS i dont See any Problem your Connection is anyway secured with vpn

No google is a problem. You'll be sending all your DNS queries to them and that's just not smart, if you're looking to remain as private as possible. It's not that they don't work, it's that google being google, always tries to extract as much information as it can about you. Even if you only have metadata such as timestamps or some such, that's still bad in a privacy context.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

But they See only Airvpn ip or not? So they dont Know you right?

But they See only Airvpn ip or not? So they dont Know you right?

Right, if your system implements DNS correctly.

However it is necessary to consider some more subtle profiling ways that Google might have through your accounts, cookies, correlations and more. You'll need to take care of them as well.

Additionally, the above is true for systems with a global DNS only, If you do that in any interface different than the tun/tap interface in a system which does not have global DNS in DNS implementation (typically Windows) then things change radically: the DNS queries will go out of the tunnel and Google Search will see you real IP address.

Kind regards

We like OpenNIC project for their commitment to privacy and neutrality.

As you probably know, our DNS resolves names in the OpenNIC namespace as well.

Kind regards

What Staff is trying to say, is that AirVPN funds OpenNIC haha.