Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.196.184
sternix

ANSWERED Can my real IP be seen while using VPN?

Hello,

I'm using AirVPN and sites like dnsleaktest or ipleak.net only show me the IP of the VPN I'm using. Today I asked a friend to try to find out my real IP by only giving him my VPN IP. Hes the owner of the teamspeak server we're on, so maybe hes lying about everything I say now. Thats the question.

He said he started by doing a traceroute in Windows and then went on to use some old program in Linux and after ~3minutes he told me my real IP. I used a Swedish VPN here, I'm from germany.

I then changed my VPN to an american one and he said that its harder there to trace me (because on longer routes there would be timeouts) and this time he wasnt able to find out my real IP.

Is he simply lying or is there a way to find out my real IP. It would make at least some sense for me because even though the traffic between me and the VPN is encrypted, there is still traffic of course.

I'm really looking for definite answers to this. When googling this I get mixed results. People say that it is still possible to find out real IP's while others say that this would only be possible when the VPN is forced to show logfiles.

Best Regards

Too much Hollywood "IP trace skills" without details or any facts.

When you use the VPN service according to the FAQ guides, or when you use the client with the default settings,

which are always meant to be -secure by default- on purpose - you are not exposed to any leaks. Unless that

"friend" installed some software on your machine that can bypass your VPN tunnel.

So you should at least provide more details about what exactly was the scope of this test.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hello zhang,

I think he is lying indeed. I just wanted to know if there is any simple way for people to find out my real IP without them being the government.

He wouldnt explain to me exactly what he did. There is no way that he installed something on my PC as I dont even know him personal in real life.

So when I use an american VPN, noone should be able to see that in reality I'm from germany, right? 

Best Regards

Terms like lying or not are irrelevant here. I emphasize it for readers that might see this thread later.

Back to the topic:

There is absolutely no way for any party to know your real IP, if you configured all the FAQ steps correctly,

and/or if you are using the Eddie client with Network Lock.

Disclaimer - this does not imply any 3d party that has access to your system, as it is beyond the scope of

a public VPN service.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

some old program in Linux

Why don't you ask him for specifics "for educational purposes"?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

So when I use an american VPN, noone should be able to see that in reality I'm from germany, right? 

Best Regards

Hello!

Geo-location is not based on IP address only. You must consider HTML5 geo-location and other methods, especially when you use mobile devices. Or simply correlations: for example, if your system and browser are set in German (language) and the time zone matches with Berlin CET or CEST, the final service you connect to might assume that you're from Germany (in your case, it would guess successfully).

So: one issue is not showing the "real" IP address (i.e. the IP address assigned to some device of yours by your ISP); one different issue is geo-location. The IP address is a single element to be considered in geo-location but it's not the only one.

Kind regards