Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.77.59

Recent AirVPN speed test below

Down: 12.178 Mbit/s Out, 11.094 Mbit/s In (91%), 20MB - Up: 5.905 Mbit/s Out, 5.879 Mbit/s In (99%), 20MB - Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 07:04:51 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 1, Time: 47.26 secs

I am on a fibre connection and outside AirVPN I am getting 93 Mbit/s down and 35 Mbit/s up using a local country server.

I've tried various ports and protocols, checked the router settings, tried various servers across various countries.

No improvement using various options.

I've read too many setup threads and tried most options with no improvement.

I'm running the latest ver of Eddie.

I tried the older TAP driver as suggested elsewhere and speeds dropped by half so back running latest driver

Have you tried changing your buffer settings? they are the ones generally linked to speed.

I've tried 256 and 512 in buffer

No improvement

Speed testing via three sites incl AirVPN all show my speeds seriously below where they should be

Yes, I confirm that, for me it is not more than 30-35 Mbit/s in download literally on all servers. Was mentioned about this before here.

Looks like there are some automatic logic-politics by AirVPN as it is unmanifested and quietly arranged by quantity of users per server, so, there is speeds limiting for sure, for single peer-user-subscriber. I.e. they are tuned things to more users per server as much as more.

I don't know maybe since someday they will come to another situation, much better, in order to getting maximized speeds by single peer, by each peer. In all amount of mass-user. Will see.

Looks like there are some automatic logic-politics by AirVPN as it is unmanifested and quietly arranged by quantity of users per server, so, there is speeds limiting for sure, for single peer-user-subscriber. I.e. they are tuned things to more users per server as much as more.

Kitalpha in Switzerland has more than 100 clients logged in right now, and even when it sometimes had 150 online clients (when one would consider traffic limiting because of too many logged-in users) I was able to reach my 50 MBit/s plus 10 MBit/s upload. Your theory just does not work.

There are many options to consider when trying to maximize one's speed: ISP, its (BGP) routing, your router, your connection to the router, your OS, its configuration and software running on it,... you start at the end of this list and slowly work yourself towards the ISP. In 90% of all cases, we can definitely work something out together. For now, if you didn't open your own thread about poor speeds, open a thread and we will help you.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Yes, I confirm that, for me it is not more than 30-35 Mbit/s in download literally on all servers. Was mentioned about this before here.

Looks like there are some automatic logic-politics by AirVPN as it is unmanifested and quietly arranged by quantity of users per server, so, there is speeds limiting for sure, for single peer-user-subscriber. I.e. they are tuned things to more users per server as much as more.

I don't know maybe since someday they will come to another situation, much better, in order to getting maximized speeds by single peer, by each peer. In all amount of mass-user. Will see.

Hello!

It is almost offensive to read the above when we are the only service in the world in our field that publishes a real time servers monitor that can be cross-checked to verify we are not lying about our commitment against overselling.

The reality is the exact opposite of what you said. We work to squeeze up to the last bit/s on each server line. The issue is challenging even with our AES-NI supporting processors, because we are working with a software (OpenVPN) that can run only in a single core of a CPU (per daemon), and in a semi-complex environment, in which the load on the CPU does not grow linearly (or in some other predictable way, at the moment we did not find any) with the amount of clients per daemon.

Just so you have an idea about the above problems (probably other services will not even tell you they exist) have a look here:

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Gigabit_Networks_Linux

After that, consider that our cipher for the payload of both Data and Control Channel is AES-256.

When you have done your homework, come back here and probably your messages will be fairer.

Kind regards

Looks like there are some automatic logic-politics by AirVPN as it is unmanifested and quietly arranged by quantity of users per server, so, there is speeds limiting for sure, for single peer-user-subscriber. I.e. they are tuned things to more users per server as much as more.

Kitalpha in Switzerland has more than 100 clients logged in right now, and even when it sometimes had 150 online clients (when one would consider traffic limiting because of too many logged-in users) I was able to reach my 50 MBit/s plus 10 MBit/s upload. Your theory just does not work.

There are many options to consider when trying to maximize one's speed: ISP, its (BGP) routing, your router, your connection to the router, your OS, its configuration and software run on it,... you start at the end of this list and slowly work yourself towards the ISP. In 90% of all cases, we can definitely work something out together. For now, if you didn't open your own thread about poor speeds, open a thread and we will help you.

I'm right now getting ~100MBit/s download speed on one of Netherlands servers. I haven't seen myself anything below 50MBit/s for long time on servers I use. It's not uncommon go get 190MBit/s.

regards

Hello !

It must be something on your end OP, whether your own PC or things like your ISP, because plenty of AirVPN users are getting great speeds. I noticed your OP said "Laps: 1", hopefully you did more than 1 lap. I assume you tried speedtest.net stuff too, with servers close to your location.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I originally ran the default 3 laps test (multiple time). - no different.

I have also run other speed tests, inside and outside the tunnel - no different.

Outside AirVPN I am getting full speeds down and up (94-96 down and 35-38 up). Within AirVPN my speeds are 1/10th of that down and 1/7th of that up.

I agree it is to do with my AirVPN connection but I'm as yet unable to determine what can be changed to resolve the speed issue.

I might try another VPN service (if I can find one that offers a test before buy option).

Well good luck with that.

Which platform are you on by the way? The other day, a guy had severe speed/connection issues as well. He did a traceroute and we found it was probably his ISP or something such.

Then he changed ports and it worked; even though you said you had tried "various" ports and such.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I'm sticking with AirVPN, I was only planning on testing another VPN service to see if it made a difference,

I'm not casting any aspersions here, just trying to find a solution.

I'm running a Win 7 64 rig - ethernet to fibre, 100/40 service.

As I said, I get full speeds with the VPN off,

I have tried every option in the protocol section in Preferences,

Yes, I confirm that, for me it is not more than 30-35 Mbit/s in download literally on all servers.

I'd be very happy to get 30 !

I don't agree with the rest of your post, I am more than happy with the AirVPN offering but just trying to work out my particular speed service.

I have 300/300Mbit/s and today is one of the worst days in terms of speed. On most servers i'm not getting more than 60/60Mbit/s and also with very bad routing overall.

edit: It seems to get better now after about 2 hours of problems and losing connection to several servers (or getting disconnected after sucessfully connecting to the server).

Well that is interesting

I made no changes my end since the last speed tests (all very slow) and now today I'm getting full speeds maxxing out my fibre connection.

Bizarre

Edit - well, that was good while it lasted. Back to slow speeds again. No local changes made to client or network. External speeds as expected. Clearly an AirVPN server/software issue. Oh well, it is what it is.

Well that is interesting

I made no changes my end since the last speed tests (all very slow) and now today I'm getting full speeds maxxing out my fibre connection.

Bizarre

Edit - well, that was good while it lasted. Back to slow speeds again. No local changes made to client or network. External speeds as expected. Clearly an AirVPN server/software issue. Oh well, it is what it is.

How can you accuse AirVPN of having the issue on their end? There is a HIGH chance that your ISP can  be blocking the port they use for encrypted traffic, plenty of reasons really and since me and many others max out our fibre connections I'll ask again how can you accuse AirVPN, what evidence do you have to support your claim?

Well that is interesting

Bizarre

Since you mentioned bad routing I humbly suggest you trace the route to the servers you like to use day to day, especially when you notice changes in speed.  It could be that routing is changing depending on the demand your ISP is seeing, maintenance, etc.  Since routes are often asymmetric it's also a good idea to catalog the reverse route - the route from the VPN server back to the ISP router nearest you (not your IP because depending on your setup it might be the first hop).

Well that is interesting

Bizarre

How can you accuse AirVPN of having the issue on their end? There is a HIGH chance that your ISP can  be blocking the port they use for encrypted traffic, plenty of reasons really and since me and many others max out our fibre connections I'll ask again how can you accuse AirVPN, what evidence do you have to support your claim?

I'm not accusing AirVPN of anything.

I'm saying I am getting very slow speeds when using AirVPN but just now, getting full speeds (even though AirVPN's own speedtest and two external speed tests show very slow speeds).

I ran another VPN provider and got full speeds but I'm staying with AirVPN for various reasons.

I'm just trying to find a solution.

If my ISP is throttling VPN why was it OK just before (and good again just now) and consistently good with another VPN ?

I'm not picking a fight here, I love the AirVPN offering.

I'll try the suggestion above this post and see what I can find.

Edit - the diff in download speed was a factor of 8 so not small

Well that is interesting

Bizarre

I'm not accusing AirVPN of anything.

I'm saying I am getting very slow speeds when using AirVPN but just now, getting full speeds (even though AirVPN's own speedtest and two external speed tests show very slow speeds).

I ran another VPN provider and got full speeds but I'm staying with AirVPN for various reasons.

If my ISP is throttling VPN why was it OK just before (and good again just now) and consistently good with another VPN ?

I'm not picking a fight here, I love the AirVPN offering.

I'll try the suggestion above this post and see what I can find.

Edit - the diff in download speed was a factor of 8 so not small

Well I do not know which VPN you used before but it is possible their encryption wasn't as high and your ISP didn't bother throttling low encryption but high encryption increases your traffic amount. Anyway my first guess would be buffer settings since when I was having trouble reaching full speed customizing it fixed it for me

If you really want to try and find a solution check your ISP. Since we work with dozens of different datacenters, assuming that they all have the same problem at the same time and your ISP is perfect will not help you fix the issue.

We could name several reasons, for example dynamic traffic shaping based on time, destination ports and protocol. Try to make a comparison, when the problem occurs with any datacenter you try, between a direct UDP connection, a TCP connection and an OpenVPN over SSL ("SSL Tunnel - Port 443" in Eddie) connection. Additionally, test your ISP directly (no VPN) with different destinations in HTTP, HTTPS and BitTorrent for example (this is in many cases very revelatory about traffic shaping). Just in case you live in the European Union: ISPs are obliged to tell you in a clear and understandable way any limitation of any sort they enforce on protocols and applications, so if they perform traffic shaping you will find the description in the contract (although they can play with words by calling it "fair usage", "traffic management", "better experience" and similar bullshits).

Kind regards

Karanga, I'm not sure, but looks like I've finally find a reason causing, I've just measure tons of existing servers through speedtest.net and found literally only one very best server especially in uploading (download on this server and on all others <18-20 Mbit/s), it's lithuanian Scheat which usually and more or less looks stable in speed, it approximately in <5 Mb/s. All others the rest much worse, not sure what's actually going on with that. Also checked that 128 Kb buffer size better than 256 Kb, and mssfix OpenVPN directive doesn't make sense.

There are might be another one thing which may cause lower speeds/throughput on client side. Just check if there are openvpn.exe process priority in Normal priority and I/O priority in Normal level, not, say, in Below normal and Low priorities resp. If you are on Windows. You can use Process Hacker 2 for permanently setting up of priorities.