Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.142.134

I'm experiencing very slow speeds using AirVPN. 

I've been using another VPN service for a year now but their service is becoming crap, can't get a stable connection, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Today I purchased a Trial of AirVPN to see what the service with them would be like.

My ISP provides me 100Mbps download 10Mbps upload, but when connected through AirVPN servers, I get around 3Mbps download speeds, I can't understand why the connections are so bad and why the speeds are so slow and unstable, even when selecting servers located in the same country.

Is this normal? Alternatives?

Hello ! Welcome to AirVPN!

It should be much faster than that.

Please try go to your client and in the top left corner: Preferences>Advanced>Change both send and receive buffers to 256Kb.

It should also be said that the most geographically close servers aren't automatically the best .

If you use any 3rd party firewalls, I recommend checking to see if they're interfering. You could for instance consider adding

the AirVPN and OpenVPN processes to the exceptions list. You can also check the "Status" tab and see if any servers that you're using, are

having issues and/or see which ones might be best for you. In your client, you can also sort servers based on Latency. or speed.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I'm experiencing very slow speeds using AirVPN. 

I've been using another VPN service for a year now but their service is becoming crap, can't get a stable connection, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Today I purchased a Trial of AirVPN to see what the service with them would be like.

My ISP provides me 100Mbps download 10Mbps upload, but when connected through AirVPN servers, I get around 3Mbps download speeds, I can't understand why the connections are so bad and why the speeds are so slow and unstable, even when selecting servers located in the same country.

Is this normal? Alternatives?

Definitely not normal. Send a request to Support under Contact tab, they'll get you sorted out quickly. I think virtually everybody (including me) gets excellent speeds. I've been using various VPNs for twenty years and Air is hands down the best. Be a little patient till its sorted out....you'll be glad you chose Air. Cheers.

Hi, thanks.

I'm currently using Tunnelblick on OS X, I never had any problems of any kind with it.

Do you suggest using AirVPN's client?

There's something I don't really understand. I generate de .ovpn file in "Config Generator" and I select the countries I'm interested in, then a file for each country I selected is downloaded, then in Tunnelblick I can select the country I want to connect to, but that country can have multiple servers.

When connecting to "country", does AirVPN select the best server to connect to based on ping or is it random? 

Well I personally prefer the AirVPN client. Feel free to try it; it's probably one of the best VPN clients around.

Did you select individual countries? It's recommended you just select a region, in the config generator. It picks servers based on various metrics; not just ping, if we're

talking about the AirVPN client "Recommended Server" feature at least.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I generated a new configuration file .ovpn this time selecting whole "Europe" region and loaded it into Tunnelblick.

I started the connection and it connected to Sweden, I then did a speedtest: download is 5Mbps, this is too slow. 

Sweden through Tunnelblick: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494193755

So just in case I downloaded and installed AirVPN's desktop client and connected through it insted of Tunnelblick, apparently the AirVPN's app automatically selected the best server, this time in Netherlands, speedtest is now showing 80Mbps download speed:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494208897

Is this issue related to Tunnelblick app itself, to Tunnelblick NOT selecting the best server, and/or previous selected AirVPN's servers itself? Hm.

It's a shame the three servers I tried to connect to through Tunnelblick where so slow (2~7Mbps). Apparently I have to use the desktop application.

Lucky for you the desktop application is quuuuuuuuuuuite excellent I would say . Although if you've never seen or tried other clients, you might not feel the same way.

I don't believe Air has any stake in tunnelblick, so for that reason, it can't necessarily control how it acts under various conditions.

Just use Airvpn's Eddie client....very simple, reliable, and loads all the configs automatically. Use network lock to prevent any leaks...all your internet traffic will be routed through the Air server and no other programs can access the net.

Just use Airvpn's Eddie client....very simple, reliable, and loads all the configs automatically. Use network lock to prevent any leaks...all your internet traffic will be routed through the Air server and no other programs can access the net.

No other program can access the net, if the VPN connection drops

I tried to install AirVPN's client on a virtualized Linux guest over Windows host but I couldn't install the .deb package, then I tried to connect through openvpn with an .ovpn file but Linux couldn't get DNS resolution so I tried to do it directly on the Windows host by downloading AirVPN's desktop software.

When connected I'm still getting worse pings and worse download speeds than with IPVanish.  

Idk, I was just looking for a stable VPN provider because IPVanish drops constantly the connection multiple times every hour, but I get much better pings and download speeds with them no matter what country/server I'm connected to than with AirVPN. It's a shame, it seems AirVPN needs to get more solid and mature to have higher download speeds and to get a connections established more easily.

I think I'll stick with the other VPN provider for the moment until AirVPN provides better download speeds/pings, and ease of use.

AirVPN has very interesting features other providers don't offer, like OpenVPN through SSL or SSH, Port Forwarding and the ability to manually choose specific options. 

I tried to install AirVPN's client on a virtualized Linux guest over Windows host but I couldn't install the .deb package, then I tried to connect through openvpn with an .ovpn file but Linux couldn't get DNS resolution so I tried to do it directly on the Windows host by downloading AirVPN's desktop software.

When connected I'm still getting worse pings and worse download speeds than with IPVanish.  

Idk, I was just looking for a stable VPN provider because IPVanish drops constantly the connection multiple times every hour, but I get much better pings and download speeds with them no matter what country/server I'm connected to than with AirVPN. It's a shame, it seems AirVPN needs to get more solid and mature to have higher download speeds and to get a connections established more easily.

I think I'll stick with the other VPN provider for the moment until AirVPN provides better download speeds/pings, and ease of use.

AirVPN has very interesting features other providers don't offer, like OpenVPN through SSL or SSH, Port Forwarding and the ability to manually choose specific options. 

the .deb installer package works very well for me in Mint 17 and 18 virtualbox guest. 

Take a look at the main page, at the time of writing:

Not public. nl.pngAlshat 151.94 Mbit / sec 17m 24s ago Not public. nl.pngSalm 136.53 Mbit / sec 1h 56m 40s ago Not public. ca.pngSpica 119.2 Mbit / sec 23h 20m 54s ago Not public. ro.pngRuchbah 109.24 Mbit / sec 8h 19m 0s ago Not public. de.pngMesarthim 92.23 Mbit / sec

5h 6m 52s ago

This means that the top 10 users on Air can achieve between 100 to 150Mbit, with the right hardware and ISP line.

So before you make such statements, you have live statistics that others don't have, to indicate something about

the current load of the servers you may want to choose.

There are plenty of threads with users and slow speeds, some of which are solved by specifying the buffer sizes

to 256KB manually.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

According to your profile, you've just signed up today. I have to say that you don't come across as being all that patient; you've only just signed up today and are evidently having issues, but seemingly not too eager to solve those issues in order to potentially achieve better speeds. I mean, you're posting IN a thread which started out with the OP having severe speed issues and then resolving them; nearly maxing out his connection, while using a VPN. So I have to respectfully say, that unless you're willing to be a little more patient and actually provide us with some information we can use (such as your logs), then perhaps this service isn't for you . You'll have to decide what you value most: Speed or security (with potentially better or equal speeds as well - because AirVPNs infrastructure is far from inferior).

Okay okay, you guys are right. 

I'll do some tests with the other VPN service, then with AirVPN, selecting different servers and countries, and then without VPN at all, and I'll post it here so we can find what's the best solution. Brb.

Just keep in mind there's various ways to optimize things. For the OP, it was switching to the Eddie client. For you, it might be increasing the send & receive buffer sizes and so forth. AirVPN has a speedtest in the client area by the way, which can show you both the in and out tunnel speeds of the server you're connected to. But again, it's what you want out of your VPN. If you're just looking for a "netflix vpn" for instance, then Air likely isn't ideal. However if you're looking for a VPN with real attention to and knowledge about privacy & security, this is likely one of the better, if not the best VPN around for that. Of course, we're naturally "biased" by being users of the service in question, but I'm sure that once you've made your own comparisons you'll arrive at the same conclusions. If in doubt on the security front, please feel free to refer to pages like this . If you've got other questions or concerns, feel free to ask here, PM me or check out my new users guide in my signature, where many things are both explained and referenced directly. Take care

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate.

Here are the tests, using speedtest.net selecting best server based on best ping and using VPN's desktop client.

#0 No VPN

Ping: 10ms | DL: 123.54 Mbps | UL: 12.24 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494401641

#1 AirVPN - Alrai - Netherlands: (Recommended server)

Ping: 55ms | DL: 115.55 Mbps | UL: 10.87 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494408263

Ping: 52ms | DL: 114.04 Mbps | UL: 10.48 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494412475

#2 AirVPN - Kitalpha - Zürich: (Manually selected)

Ping: 54ms | DL: 37.38 Mbps | UL: 2.15 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494418009

Ping: 52ms | DL: 30.02 Mbps | UL: 9.93 Mbps

#3 AirVPN - Mekbuda - Madrid (Manually selected)

Ping: 27ms | DL: 115.32 Mbps | UL: 11.41 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494425286

Ping: 26ms | DL: 106.03 Mbps | UL: 11.18 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494427067

#4 AirVPN - Brachium - Valencia (Manually selected)

Ping: 15ms | DL: 79.15 Mbps | UL: 11.48 Mbps

Ping: 15ms | DL: 71.31 Mbps | UL: 11.26 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494432785

#5 AirVPN - Marfic - Paris (Manually selected)

Ping: 31ms | DL: 108.68 Mbps | UL: 10.84 Mbps

Ping: 31ms | DL: 108.93 Mbps | UL: 10.82 Mbps

I should've had more patience and check everything thoroughly.

Speed tests for IPVanish, servers manually selected:

#06 IPVanish - Netherlands

Ping: 58ms | DL: 91.74 Mbps | UL: 10.28 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494454108

Ping: 56ms | DL: 93.60 Mbps | UL: 11.07 Mbps

#07 IPVanish - Zürich

Ping: 51ms | DL: 13.92 Mbps | UL: 10.97 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494459310

Ping: 50ms | DL: 7.02 Mbps | UL: 10.19 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494464356

#08 IPVanish - Madrid (Connected after second try)

Ping: 17ms | DL: 86.53 Mbps | UL: 11.22 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494484059

Ping: 16ms | DL: 89.16 Mbps | UL: 11.23 Mbps

#09 IPVanish - Valencia

Ping: 21ms | DL: 93.14 Mbps | UL: 11.07 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494488035

Ping: 19ms | DL: 88.65 Mbps | UL: 11.29 Mbps

#10 IPVanish - Paris (Had to restart client)

Ping: 40ms | DL: 94.38 Mbps | UL: 10.82 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5494494025

Ping: 43ms | DL: 111.96 Mbps | UL: 11.22 Mbps

Just curious, what speed does your ISP provide you?

It's a very popular internet plan here in Madrid, 120Mbps over coax using DOCSIS 3.0

Very nice....drool. Do you mind me asking what that costs there?

No problem, it's a package of [Mobile + Internet with phone number].

Lots of numbers and maths but:

I pay exactly 20.50€ for the internet service at home, including phone number, with VAT, but it comes together with a mobile service package that is 34,80€ (4GB data plan).

So I pay 55,30€ total per month, VAT included. It's cheap IMO.

Writing an end to this topic, I have to say my first impression of AirVPN was not very good, I had some problems with speed in the first place, probably bad luck and lack of patience, but those problems seem gone after installing AirVPN's desktop client. (+ has Kill Switch)

Speeds are actually great, I recommend installing the desktop client for the best experience.

Connections are very stable, they don't drop as with IPVanish, I'll keep testing tomorrow but everything indicates I'll be purchasing AirVPN's 3-month plan and ditching my IPVanish subscription.

Responses in this forum where very fast and helpful, so thanks to everybody.

Writing an end to this topic, I have to say my first impression of AirVPN was not very good, I had some problems with speed in the first place, probably bad luck and lack of patience, but those problems seem gone after installing AirVPN's desktop client. (+ has Kill Switch)

Speeds are actually great, I recommend installing the desktop client for the best experience.

Connections are very stable, they don't drop as with IPVanish, I'll keep testing tomorrow but everything indicates I'll be purchasing AirVPN's 3-month plan and ditching my IPVanish subscription.

Responses in this forum where very fast and helpful, so thanks to everybody.

Welcome to the club bruh ​ . If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy the ride.

From an BGP perspective, your ISP ONO routes to many ASes in ES and only to a few big ones like Level 3 and Telia if it comes to international connectivity. No direct routes; I think if you stick to the ES servers you'll be reaching your best speeds in terms of BGP.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

From an BGP perspective, your ISP ONO routes to many ASes in ES and only to a few big ones like Level 3 and Telia if it comes to international connectivity. No direct routes; I think if you stick to the ES servers you'll be reaching your best speeds in terms of BGP.

Vodafone bought ONO recently and Vodafone (sometimes) uses Movistar network. You can see the speed tests I did, apparently connecting to servers from other countries, even far away ones, had no visible impact on speed, but yes, if I want short pings, ES servers are the best choice.

Do you have more info/docs about BGP and ASes? I'm interested about it, first time I read those acronyms.