Not connected, Your IP: 13.59.236.219
catchtheblacksunshine

ANSWERED If SSL Stops ISP From Knowing It's a VPN, How Does AirVPN know?

Are there certain servers that it uses each time in order to have the ISP not know it's a VPN? I can see that this website knows what current server I'm logged into regardless of SSL, so are the servers static? If so, wouldn't they eventually garner a list that tells them what server connections are VPN connections?

Another question that perplexes me is that the router I currently have says what data is going through it in the way of a line graph. One of the measurements is labeled VPN. I've noticed that with the SSL enabled, the router still knows that it's a VPN connection to it. Why is that?

"The problem is that when people hear the term "big brother", they immediately think it's scary or bad, but I don't. I think, wow, I love my big brother." ~ Michael Scott

All the SSL VPN connection protocol allows you to do is slip through standard network blocks by shielding the OpenVPN headers in your packets and replacing them with SSL headers, also your data is encrypted a second time in SSL format. Any IT shitlord with a grudge is going to know your using a VPN regardless of what ip your connecting to, as it will be the only ip you connect to and it will be a constant stream of encrypted data.

TL;DR: SSL only helps if no one is at their desk actively targeting you, which is good because contrary to popular belief i have found that to be rare. Either VPN blocks are done by settings (blocked ports) or DPI Boxes that look for OpenVPN headers.

Ah, interesting, I really appreciate the response. Through my education of computers, networking was beyond a doubt the one that I gave least amount of care towards. Being a network admin to me seems akin to being in charge of the neighborhood water supply: 99.9% of the time, it's boring status quo as you babysit the precious resource. Then one day, while your bent over tying your shoelaces, the pipes spring a leak. By the time you straighten your back and realize what's going on, there's a mob outside with pitchforks and flame.

Thanks again for teaching what I ignored years ago.

"The problem is that when people hear the term "big brother", they immediately think it's scary or bad, but I don't. I think, wow, I love my big brother." ~ Michael Scott

​Hello !

​I admire you for still managing to sound as jaded as an admin with 30 years of experience, despite apparently not giving much attention to networking

​"IT shitlord" was hilarious too.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Being a network admin to me seems akin to being in charge of the neighborhood water supply: 99.9% of the time, it's boring status quo as you babysit the precious resource. Then one day, while your bent over tying your shoelaces, the pipes spring a leak. By the time you straighten your back and realize what's going on, there's a mob outside with pitchforks and flame.

You nailed it.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.