Not connected, Your IP: 34.203.242.200
FragrantQ1gong

ANSWERED 7 hours without connection and still no help from support

I've been reporting a problem to support since 7 am (Thailand time) and have yet to hear BOO from anyone. I got much quicker responses before I'd actually signed up. For two days everything worked swimmingly and then today I cannot connect. The program finds a server (in Canada), tries to connect, times out, waits 3 seconds, tries again.....and again......and again. I have to logout to stop slowing down my regular isp. I"m frustrated and confused. I don't can't frame a query that the forum finder accepts. I want to throw the program in the dustbin.

Hello !

​I'll be the first to say that AirVPN support isn't the best - although it's a tradeoff. Slow response times vs support staff who know their stuff. This is why there's no live chat for instance, because while you *could* then get faster replies, the support staff either might not be qualified technicians or they might be qualified, but not have time to test the problem that you're reporting. But they're very qualified people, once they get around to replying and very professional otherwise. Anyhow... If you check the support forum you might see there's a number of threads near the top with many replies. One of the reasons why replies can be slow, is that if you post support requests like you posted this thread, then it's clear why: you don't provide any information. I say this respectfully and in a matter-of-fact tone; not to judge. In short, we don't know things like:

• ​Your operating system (Windows, OSX, Android, etc.)
  • ​Servers you tried connecting to (Some servers might have problems, while others might not)
  • ​What, if anything, you did to cause the problem (Such as an explanation of events)
  • ​Technical information (Which can be viewed in the Eddie "Logs" section and which you should always append your posts with)

​So if you'd like help, i recommend that you first check that forum - because there's been loads of people who have had problems for a little while, due to an AirVPN server thing. But it has been solved. Otherwise, you'll have to post your logs in

tags . Keep in mind that Air staff are all likely in 1 timezone and so perhaps weren't arround during the time of your request and they also have been swamped, due to lots of people suddenly having similar issues to you; including myself, although I didn't submit a ticket. It was good you tried searching before posting, though. I hope this helped.

​P.S. I should also remind you that AirVPN isn't a huge company, by their own description. So I suspect it's very easy to be overwhelmed with support requests . But you can be sure that once you do get support, it's a technically-knowledgable person. Which, if you've ever tried dealing with a non-technical support person you're trying to get help from, is a small blessing in itself lol.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I've been reporting a problem to support since 7 am (Thailand time) and have yet to hear BOO from anyone. I got much quicker responses before I'd actually signed up. For two days everything worked swimmingly and then today I cannot connect. The program finds a server (in Canada), tries to connect, times out, waits 3 seconds, tries again.....and again......and again. I have to logout to stop slowing down my regular isp. I"m frustrated and confused. I don't can't frame a query that the forum finder accepts. I want to throw the program in the dustbin.

That's because we don't externalize the support service. Do you prefer a copied & pasted, pre-packaged answer after a few minutes, with a plus of a meaningless chat with some remote call center which handles hundreds of different services from dishes to computers, or a competent answer, written by the service personnel, which needs the time that it really needs?

If you prefer the first type of aforementioned support then Air is not the service for you.

That said, today is a special day because a certificate deployment failure on several VPN servers caused major problems (now solved) for hours, with a subsequent and dramatic surge of support requests. Anyway, all the support requests will be satisfied within a few hours, as it always happens. Only a few hours delay due to the tickets congestion.

Kind regards

Staff, hi, by the way, I was setuped connection with original OpenVPN GUI and that's good, because speeds are better with it.

Hello!

We're glad to know it. However both the Air client and OpenVPN GUI use OpenVPN to tunnel traffic etc. Please check whether they are both using the same OpenVPN version and the sockets buffers sizes (set them to 256 KB in the Air client menu "AirVPN" > "Preferences" > "Advanced" > "General").

Kind regards

That's because we don't externalize the support service. Do you prefer a copied & pasted, pre-packaged answer after a few minutes, with a plus of a meaningless chat with some remote call center which handles hundreds of different services from dishes to computers, or a competent answer, written by the service personnel, which needs the time that it really needs?

If you prefer the first type of aforementioned support then Air is not the service for you.

That said, today is a special day because a certificate deployment failure on several VPN servers caused major problems (now solved) for hours, with a subsequent and dramatic surge of support requests. Anyway, all the support requests will be satisfied within a few hours, as it always happens. Only a few hours delay due to the tickets congestion.

Kind regards

I was able to connect to a USA server during the problem time with my pfsense box.  Was the problem only effecting the Eddie client?

Kind regards

I was able to connect to a USA server during the problem time with my pfsense box.  Was the problem only effecting the Eddie client?

That could well be, since Eddie is just an OpenVPN wrapper right? And perhaps when you don't run Eddie, you don't have the same options such as unchecking various kinds of route checks; which was what the solution to the problem was: uncheck DNS and tunnel checking.  But I'm not sure.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

That could well be, since Eddie is just an OpenVPN wrapper right? And perhaps when you don't run Eddie, you don't have the same options such as unchecking various kinds of route checks; which was what the solution to the problem was: uncheck DNS and tunnel checking.  But I'm not sure.

Kind regards

Yes, I've since seen the post from Staff saying this effected only checking route and DNS, which only Eddie does.  Plus it apparently only effected some servers.  Maybe I got lucky and hit a good one.

Hello!

Only Eddie, yes. The failure was in the routes check because the certificates deployment failure caused a TLS trust relationship failure. If you didn't perform this additional check (because you disabled this option in Eddie, or used OpenVPN or any other OpenVPN wrapper/frontend) you couldn't see the problem.

Kind regards

Hello!

Only Eddie, yes. The failure was in the routes check because the certificates deployment failure caused a TLS trust relationship failure. If you didn't perform this additional check (because you disabled this option in Eddie, or used OpenVPN or any other OpenVPN wrapper/frontend) you couldn't see the problem.

Kind regards

What caused the deployment failure though? Anything interesting there? I mean the other day we had that freaky issue with the Netherlands servers becoming the most recommended connection point for a whole lot of clients and now this. I assume it's not related, but it's always interesting with a deeper explanation, if any is available. Thank you for your time :].

To STAFF,

I'd suggest once you know there's a system-wide problem, that you post PROMINENTLY somewhere on the site. That way people know you're aware of it and are working on a repair. That will save a lot of user ANGST AND TIME trying to figure out why their Airvpn connection isn;t working. That would also prevent dozens of similar posts saying "mine isn't working".

PS, I know you don't have much experience with system-wide problems because they happen very rarely ; ) Cheers.

To STAFF,

BTW, thanks for getting this fixed pretty quickly. Looks like it happened in the middle of the night when you were sleeping.

To STAFF,

I'd suggest once you know there's a system-wide problem, that you post PROMINENTLY somewhere on the site. That way people know you're aware of it and are working on a repair. That will save a lot of user ANGST AND TIME trying to figure out why their Airvpn connection isn;t working. That would also prevent dozens of similar posts saying "mine isn't working".

PS, I know you don't have much experience with system-wide problems because they happen very rarely ; ) Cheers.

I agree, although the problem is that one could argue such attempts wouldn't get seen either. Unless Air finds a way to color entire thread slots read lol. Because multiple threads were started and with multiple people saying what you just said. But there is such a feature though: it's the option to choose the correct solution for a given problem. But this requires the OP of the thread to pay attention. Personally, I think Air should make it like on the www.tomshardware forums, where *other posters*, except the OP, get to select the solution. Then it would appear much faster. The OP could then merely have the option of de-selecting the solution that others picked, in case it didn't work for them (if it's a different problem we're talking about, which only affects the OP.)

1. Expecting Air employees to be online the whole time is very rude. It was night in CEST when the first threads were opened.

2. People generally tend to post things without reading anything.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Staff, hi, good be support by built-in client random connection, or maybe that's working in the custom OVPN directives by specifying remote-random command? Second, support for measure and use best server by speed factor opposite to latency. Also good add just simple count number in every tab with servers/countries.

Staff, hi, good be support by built-in client random connection, or maybe that's working in the custom OVPN directives by specifying remote-random command? Second, support for measure and use best server by speed factor opposite to latency. Also good add just simple count number in every tab with servers/countries.

Have you tried the latest experimental client? It was tricky to understand you, honestly.

Staff, hi, good be support by built-in client random connection, or maybe that's working in the custom OVPN directives by specifying remote-random command?

Hello,

no, we're sorry, the remote-random directive will have no effect on the Air client, because the client picks a single server anyway. It picks the highest rated server (in the white list, if one is defined). You can anyway define your own white lists and of course pick manually a VPN server.

Second, support for measure and use best server by speed factor opposite to latency. Also good add just simple count number in every tab with servers/countries.

Yes, that's already implemented since a long ago. You have score, latency, load and number of users. You can re-order your list (or white list) per each of these column, by clicking on the column labels.

Kind regards