Not connected, Your IP: 3.94.102.228

Saw it on TV. Pretty good imo

giganerd, zhang or anyone didn't want to start a new thread for this kinda off topic but here goes, is there a way for me to be able to set my local from my router to static and not have comcast kick my whole network down after a few days ?  so if i shut off the dhcp server on the router, already got my dns static either way to airvpn, what in the world do they do to figure it out anyway ? i got my server, my boxes etc and security cam like to have them all static but things will work for about a week then i get kicked after i shut everything down go back to dhcp i'm online again

basically what i do is i shut off dhcp on the router, set the netctl and other files to static, things are fine, then yup, down she goes

or maybe i'm doing something wrong or not understanding networking right, which has been known to be a possibility

or is this their way of 'forcing' their business accounts on consumers ?  coz yeah everytime power goes down good chance i gotta edit my firewall scripts and redo other files blah blah, i can live with it but a pain, and how in the world do they know ? 

anything i google on this just brings up tutorials on static scoured comcast forums didn't see anything either

thanx

cm0s

I have no idea if it will work for what you want, but the DDNS option sounds perfect for you.

https://airvpn.org/ports/

Just make sure you setup a DDNS name you will remember, and note that it is all lowercase. So if you setup "example.airvpn.org" it may not work as "Example.airvpn.org" or any other such thing. (Or it might. I never tried.)

And if you are forgetful, you can go to that link and see what you set it to. This way, Comcast cannot force you into anything. DDNS is the solution to many of the problems of rotating IPs.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

got a hold of comcast figured out what i was doing wrong

what i was doing wrong was in the ddwrt from my sb6121

moto modem i'd cat 5 to the ddwrt

what i was doing was i saw 'dhcp automatic'

and made that static not understanding that that was the

setting for comcast's side of my local down below i set things

as usual to static dns settings blah blah

thanx for the help everyone finally got it solid very happy

cheerz

I did not quite understand the question. Can you please form it according to some basic format i.e.

1) The symptom / the issue, as it see on your side - 1/2 lines.

2) The way you would like to have it set - 2/3 lines.

3) Some steps you tried to get this done - 1/2 lines.

Regarding how ISPs can tunnel into your network bypassing your VPN, is for example the DOCSIS protocol,

the only one that is used for cable modems all over the world. In this way, when your modem boots up, it

sends and receives information from your ISP on the coax interface, allowing them to SNMP to the device

as well, and many ISPs have their CMTS (big cable routers) SNMP to the subscriber modems once in a while

and check the settings. Mostly for debugging though, I cannot say it is done for the purpose to invade privacy.

They mostly check the uptime of the modem services, the signal strength, the firmware version, and in case

something is wrong the first step is usually sending a firmware upgrade package and a reboot, then calling up

a cable technician to your home.

If you ever had a call from your ISP, telling that a technician has to arrive and fix your line, that is probably an

automatic alert your modem sent, again over the DOCSIS protocol to your cable provider.

ADSL has something similar and it is called TR-069.

What you have to do in order to avoid this, is using your ISP CPE as a modem only, and connecting a separate

router to your devices, while using your modems LAN as a separate router's WAN.

There is no way for you to reliably disable DHCP on devices you don't fully control, and in fact are not truly yours,

as I believe you have to return this device if you plan to switch your ISP, so it's their right to do so.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I did not quite understand the question. Can you please form it according to some basic format i.e.

1) The symptom / the issue, as it see on your side - 1/2 lines.

2) The way you would like to have it set - 2/3 lines.

3) Some steps you tried to get this done - 1/2 lines.

Regarding how ISPs can tunnel into your network bypassing your VPN, is for example the DOCSIS protocol,

the only one that is used for cable modems all over the world. In this way, when your modem boots up, it

sends and receives information from your ISP on the coax interface, allowing them to SNMP to the device

as well, and many ISPs have their CMTS (big cable routers) SNMP to the subscriber modems once in a while

and check the settings. Mostly for debugging though, I cannot say it is done for the purpose to invade privacy.

They mostly check the uptime of the modem services, the signal strength, the firmware version, and in case

something is wrong the first step is usually sending a firmware upgrade package and a reboot, then calling up

a cable technician to your home.

If you ever had a call from your ISP, telling that a technician has to arrive and fix your line, that is probably an

automatic alert your modem sent, again over the DOCSIS protocol to your cable provider.

ADSL has something similar and it is called TR-069.

What you have to do in order to avoid this, is using your ISP CPE as a modem only, and connecting a separate

router to your devices, while using your modems LAN as a separate router's WAN.

There is no way for you to reliably disable DHCP on devices you don't fully control, and in fact are not truly yours,

as I believe you have to return this device if you plan to switch your ISP, so it's their right to do so.

Hello !

zhang have you ever heard the joke: If you don't know your TLAs then you will be engaging in CLAs?

Aka, if you don't know your Three Letter Acronyms, you'll be engaging in Career Limiting Activities. Hahaha.

Thanks for the info zhang.

Thanks for the post OP - was a good doc.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.