Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.24.159
AdderDeath

Eddie 2.10 Portable not working (again) on Ubuntu 16.04 due to 'libMonoPosixHelper.so' Error

Hey,

I have been using the Portable version of Eddie on my Ubuntu 16.04 installation with no problems, ever since the native Ubuntu client stopped working on 16.04 a few months ago. 

Earlier today, I booted my laptop up after about two weeks and got the recent set of updates for Ubuntu 16.04, which I've been running since April 2016. Post installing the updates and restarting the laptop, I tried running the portable Eddie 2.10 client by clicking the shortcut I've set up on the launcher. Nothing happened, no error message, no freeze and in fact no other sign that the icon had even been clicked.

After restarting the computer, I again tried clicking on the launcher shortcut a few more times to no response. Since I had made no changes (or even turned on the laptop) since the last two weeks, I thought the recent set of updates to Ubuntu might have something to do with Eddie not launching or even giving an error. So I explored the AirVPN forums and came across these two links: https://airvpn.org/topic/17810-installing-portable-airvpn-client-version/ and https://airvpn.org/topic/18366-airvpn-portable-archlinux-x64-not-running/ that dicuss this problem.

In order to follow the instructions in the above two links, I downloaded a new copy of Eddie 2.10 Portable client, extracted it on the Desktop and attempted to launch it in the Terminal (something I never had to do before) The output (which is similar to the errors described in the two links above) was as follows:

gtnoob@Anonymous-Laptop:~/Desktop/airvpn_linux_x64_portable$ '/home/gtnoob/Desktop/airvpn_linux_x64_portable/airvpn' 
Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: $mono_libdir/libMonoPosixHelper.so
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall:_L_ctermid ()
  at Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GetExecutablePath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AirVPN.Core.Platform.GetProgramFolder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AirVPN.Core.Engine.Initialization () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: $mono_libdir/libMonoPosixHelper.so
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall:_L_ctermid ()
  at Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GetExecutablePath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AirVPN.Core.Platform.GetProgramFolder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AirVPN.Core.Engine.Initialization () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

This error is almost the same as the error in the above two posts.

The solution to the above error given in the first post linked above was to run the following command:

sudo  ln -s '/path/to/airvpn_linux_x64_portable/libMonoPosixHelper.so' '/usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so'

when I ran the command, after changing the path to the correct folder on my Dekstop, I got the following error:

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so': File exists

So essentially, the solution given in the first post linked above does not seem to work for me. Nothing else I've tried seems to work either.

Clearly, something in the recent set of updates seems to have broken the Eddie 2.10 Portable Client from working on Ubuntu 16.04. I would greatly appreciate any help on how I could make this work! I am willing to provide any logs, information or time that may be needed for this to work. 

Thanks a ton for reading this rather long post all the way to the end and hope we can find a quick and effective solution (and get a new native client) soon!

Hello !

Maybe you should check the new experimental version. I don't know if it'll help, but you can take a look

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.