Not connected, Your IP: 35.169.107.177
catman7

[COMPETITOR] Real WAN IP being shown in browser!!

​Hi All,

My first post here so please go easy :-) and sorry if it's in the wrong part of the forum.

I am posting here because the page below was set up/is owned by AirVPN. I am not yet a subscriber and tried to sign up a few nights ago but I am having a problem with Paypal at the moment which I haven't been able to resolve yet. I intend to try AirVPN as soon as I can use Paypal again as I really like what I have been reading about the service. So I hope it's okay to ask these few questions here as it appears to only happen on AirVPN's own test page and nowhere else and to be honest I'm not really sure where else to ask.

https://ipleak.net/

Allow javascript (temp allow if using noscript etc) to run on the page or it won't work properly.

NEVER LEAVE PAGE WHILE DOING THE FOLLOWING, JUST REFRESH IT AFTER EACH SERVER CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Choose server with Nordvpn = Germany No3 (IP 213.33.108.164) I chose for this test, but any results in the same!

refresh page and do normal IP, DNS and Torrent address checks........all looks ok as expected

*********WITHOUT LEAVING PAGE OR REFRESHING IT, CHANGE TO ANOTHER NordVPN SERVER**********

2. changed to Germany server = Germany No5 (IP 5.175.207.96) in this test but as usual any server/country will do.

refresh page and do normal IP, DNS, WebRTC and Torrent address checks......This time the DNS, WebRTC and the torrent address check passes fine,

BUT, my real PUBLIC IP ADDRESS IS SHOWN AND IT IS THE CORRECT ONE........The page shows my actual ISP given WAN address!!!!!!!! HOW????? when I am connected to/through NordVPN?

Ran these tests numerous times now and it happens EVERY time without fail.....It appears to be the only page it happens on as other ipleak "type" pages like Mr Whoer, DNSleaktest, IPV6 checks etc etc etc all work as expected.

WebRTC is disabled in browser I use Comodo Icedragon but same result with Cyberfox 43 and with plugins (Spoof agent and others) so it can't be a WebRTC leak as that always passes 100% on all sites.

*******Next paragraph is a bit of a surprise, although I think I'm relieved about it********

I have run these tests with Wireshark set to capture ALL IP addresses AND only to capture my own true WAN ISP address and I have done the same with NetworkMiner and a few other sniffers and NEITHER of them detect/show/list my Real IP address anywhere either live capture or careful study of the saved pcap file after disconecting, so why is this ONE website able to show me my REAL IP Address when following the test exactly as above????????? Where can it possibly get that information and display it while I am connected to NordVPN? Is there a moment between changing servers where my real IP Address is briefly leaking somehow? I thought "Good/well known" VPN's would prevent any such thing ever happening? (I am not using AirVPN yet btw).

Obviously ALL data is encrypted when using NordVPN as NetworkMiner is unable to capture ANY pictures or any other saved data while connected, which of course it can when testing with it when NOT using NordVPN....

It's both puzzling and a bit of concern......Am I truly protected from revealing my Public ISP Derived IP Address or not???????

My PC/ROUTER/BROWSER (Always Sandboxed)/SYSTEM is always locked down with a lot of privacy type addons (IceDragon and Cyberfox). My firewall is PrivateFirewall which I have used for the last 2-3 years and as far as I am aware always does a great job. Anti-Virus covered by Avast (Been using it for years).....Are any of these able to leak my real IP address and display it to me somehow?

When I login to my router it of course displays my real WAN IP even when connected to VPN as expected, so is this page https://ipleak.net/ somehow just sending my real IP from my router only to my PC's network address BUT not out to the www with some clever script running on the page? It's the only thing I can think of.

Until resolved it's more than a litttle worrying as I can't be certain that EVERYTHING is going through the VPN tunnel.

I hope you can understand what I have said above is happening and any answers or help and/or suggestions would be most helpful.......Thanks!

Hello !

As zhang said (many posts start like this lol), you should firstly check with NordVPN support, as they're the ones you're connected to.

You also might face great troubles paying with PP here, since they haven't been too helpful to VPN providers sadly. So if possible, consider

other payment options as well. AirVPN is a quality service.

I briefly checked NordVPN and on their FAQ page it says:

Will I get a DNS leak with NordVPN?

We have got our own DNS servers so there should be no leak. If you still see the DNS leak, please make sure you are connected to VPN and also remove cache and cookies from your browser.

Could this be what you experienced? You didn't clear your cache & cookies and then somehow it leaked. Maybe when you changed server, that constituted a disconnect and thus you

went back to using your ISP routes. Then when the change was completed, perhaps due to their lack of a lock feature, you still had a VPN connection. Because this certainly wouldn't

happen with the Air client with "network lock" enabled. On their FAQ, they say you also have to manually enter their DNS servers into ALL your local area connections; so maybe

your connection fell back on one without these? Hm. I don't know. I'm sure AirVPN won't disappoint though, if you can manage to pay for it .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hi Again,

Thanks to everyone who replied. I never allow any browser history or cookies (Always in private browsing mode) and sandboxed with sandboxie anyway which is always erased on closing icedragon with either privazer or eraser depending which I click on from the context menu in windows explorer , so nothing gets cached......ever, so this should not be the reason. The ipleak site doesn't require a cookie to be set to deliver it's results, only javascript turned on. Nobody thinks it's possible then for the site to somehow show only me my IP address ONLY from my router somehow? (I don't see how either).

Also, if my real IP was "out there" for the world to see, surely Wireshark/NetworkMiner/Other sniffers would have captured it with 100% certainty? And as stated, they never record it, not once in many, many tests? Any comments on that?

I may approach NordVPN as suggested to see what they think.

Re: Paypal. Yes, I wondered what was going wrong there as I don't usually have any problem paying with their "service". I have read that paypal are thinking of stopping ALL payments to VPN's anywhere so who knows what will happen in future? They accepted the payment to Nord with no problem very recently oddly enough. I have no issue paying for any VPN service with paypal as everyones ISP always knows you are connected to "some" VPN somewhere in the world anyway whether you pay with bitcoin etc anyway so I don't see the point unless of course paypal make it policy and then I will have to find another way I would like to try AirVPN for a few days so I guess I will have to look into it anyway soon as I want to test the above issue with AirVPN on their own page too :-)

Thanks again for the suggestions ;-)

@LZ1

Removing cookies to prevent DNS leaks is quaint.

Haha, yes I thought so lol. It's just what they wrote in their FAQ O_o. It doesn't look like they use open-source software, so maybe this is a hidden feature ;D

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

@catman

VPN use can be hidden too

Also, you can apply for a 3 day trial.

Might be that when you switch your real IP leaks because the site queries and your network is not yet connected to NordVPN so your ISP network responds.

@EdensSpire+others

Yes, I also believe that this could be happening and if true it is a massive security failure although I can't see how as WireShark and NetworMiner would record my real IP address when the server change is made too and they never have, not even once . Having said all that, ipleak is the ONLY site where this happens and I have tested plenty of these types of sites.

The cookie comments are funny lol, but can't be correct as I don't allow them (except here as I can't login without them) and please remember that even after a refresh my real IP is only shown in the "This is your IP box". It is NEVER shown in the DNS, WebRTC or the Torrent IP address!!!!! These always show the correct server I have changed to with Nord. Very odd I know and something I will not be at all happy with until I can be sure exactly what is happening.

Might be that when you switch your real IP leaks because the site queries and your network is not yet connected to NordVPN so your ISP network responds.

Sorry, I meant to add to this that I assume when one changes from one VPN server to another, you are still connected to the previous one until a successful connection is made to the new one so there should never really be a leak of one's real WAN IP? Or am I wrong about that? I don't know as I am very knowledgable but not an expert in these things and am very new to the whole VPN "thing" in general. If what you suggest is really happening though, er, I think it's time to say byeeeeee and move my business elsewhere

Well when I change server on AirVPN, I have Network Lock on, which means I lose connection to the net, since I just cut the connection to the first server ^^. You'll love AirVPN. You get to breathe the air, all without the inconvenience of actually having to *gasp*, go outside!

You say you don't allow them, but let's be honest, one does not simply turn down chocolate chip cookies. I know your guilty pleasures!!

Sorry, I meant to add to this that I assume when one changes from one VPN server to another, you are still connected to the previous one until a successful connection is made to the new one so there should never really be a leak of one's real WAN IP? Or am I wrong about that? I don't know as I am very knowledgable but not an expert in these things and am very new to the whole VPN "thing" in general. If what you suggest is really happening though, er, I think it's time to say byeeeeee and move my business elsewhere

That is not the case no, and I don't think NordVPN has a network lock/killswitch which means during server switch your ISP network is exposed, it is one of the great things with AirVPN it has a network lock so when disconnected or switching servers your ISP network isn't exposed.

Avast does have so many modules, even their own DNS service is there. You should definitely check Avast's settings.

Oh, and some logs might be helpful, too. It could be a misconfiguration of OpenVPN if you use this.

What bugs me is the fact that you are using software that is not really used widely. Any of these can impact your internet connection in some way or another. Check the feature set of your alternative software packages, look for differences to the "original" ones.

2. changed to Germany server = Germany No5 (IP 5.175.207.96) in this test but as usual any server/country will do.

How exactly is this change done? To properly change servers, a full disconnection and reconnection should be done. If NordVPN implemented some kind of fast switch without a full reconnection, OpenVPN might have "forgotten" to clear the routing table and readd the new routes.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Wait a sec mate:

...my real IP is only shown in the "This is your IP box". It is NEVER shown in the DNS, WebRTC or the Torrent IP address!!!!!

Where exactly does it show you real IP address? I hope it's not under local IP address, because that's totally possible if your computer is directly connected to the Internet without any router in between. If this is the case, then yes, your real IP address will be visible, no matter VPN or not...

Nordvpn has a dns leak protection option and to use their own dns servers

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk