Not connected, Your IP: 18.232.113.65
LZ1

Guide To Getting Started + Links For Advanced Users

1. The default gateway route is meant. Wikipedia. It is not safer, better or brings you more performance.
  2. Multi Provider Support. Eddie can support other provider's OpenVPN files.
  3. Well, Windows only. Some Windows fella can answer this for you.
  4. Eddie edits the DNS settings of all network interfaces to account for DNS leaks. DHCP is a protocol which retrieves an IP config from a DHCP server so that a device can have network access. DNS is set by this as well. If other unused network interfaces are set to DHCP and a renewal is triggered, DNS servers are updated as well and you end up losing your DNS setting for that interface. At least on Windows 10, this can lead to random requests to this server, effectively causing an unwanted DNS leak. A static setting is static, and Windows thankfully respects this. (In the future you're going to have to pay for this, I can almost see it coming.)
  5. It has been implemented because most people in the past were running TAP 9.9. It's a fairly old version of the driver compatible with as far back as Windows 2000 which worked better than any 9.21.x driver available today on Windows 8.1 and below. This option forces a driver upgrade to 9.21.x. I've seen some reports that TAP 9.9 does not fulfill its duty on Windows 10 anymore, so you upgrade to 9.21.2 or later.
  6. It's done because when AirVPN started out in 2011 OpenVPN didn't support IPv6 yet, but all the networks in the world did because, well, that protocol is almost as old as I am. Starting with 2.3, released 2012, support was implemented, but Air didn't implement it right away. So when you would connect to Air, you would redirect IPv4 traffic but let IPv6 traffic through. As a measure against IPv6 leakage, you would disable IPv6. This option does it.

By the way, almost all changes Eddie does to your network config are restored after disconnecting.

7. Slightly poor wording. It changes DNS for all networks to AirVPN DNS so that Windows 10's method of polling any DNS from any network interface for example doesn't cause DNS leaks.
  8. One thing to note here is that NetLock in itself does not force anything. It's a set of filter rules which simply disallow network connections to other IP addresses than those of Air's servers. Since all traffic is routed through AirVPN, anyway, by means of routes, there is no chance (apart from misconfiguration) that anything will go outside of these. There are exceptions, though, and for these NetLock exists.
  9. International Electrotechnical Commission. Known in the name of standards by the International Standards Organization, ISO, as ISO/IEC. In IT security/business, one known standard is ISO/IEC 27001.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Very impressive guide - kudos to LZ1, the Staff, and all members who contributed. As a non-tech-savvy type, I am extraordinarily grateful for the reasonably easy to understand, yet comprehensive explanations and sage advice. And boy, were y'all right about running Eddie on Linux--I'm now a big fan! Well done, folks! Oh yeah, please carry on!

Hi

As a self confessed newbie and not technologiacally inclined, can someone answer this.

I have been recommended Air vpn.

I`m planning on going to Spain in a week but for a reason I want to appear to be in England.

When I choose the server/country I guess that I need to choose England/UK and NOT Spain.

Apologies for being a dumb ass. LOL

Hi

As a self confessed newbie and not technologiacally inclined, can someone answer this.

I`m planning on going to Spain in a week but for a reason I want to appear to be in England.

When I choose the server/country I guess that I need to choose England/UK and NOT Spain.

Yes

Hi

Yes

"I want to appear to be in England"

BBC blocks VPNs, including AirVPN, very effectively. So do some other streaming services. They have a list of IP addresses that they will not stream to. So "yes and no". Your question should really be answered with "Appear to whom to be in England?"

I still have no idea how to get Eddie to stop asking for a password every time I startup my iMac. I looked all through this guide and see nothing about how to get this to stop in OSX.

I am currently running OSX High Sierra 10.13.5 on an iMac 18,3

Please understand I have and disabled and some vision issues, so if I missed something be kind enough to show me exactly where to find the instructions.

Forgive my error above,

I meant Please understand that I am disabled and have some vision issues ( and can't get the damn spell checker to stop changing stuff).

Thanks

• There's 2 names associated with your account. The first is your login name, which cannot be changed and can't be seen by others. You would need to make a new account, to change it.
  • The second name is your forum display name. In my case, it's LZ1. This can be changed by you at any time, but only matters in the forum.

I signed up for the trial.  got a code , purchased the trial, but Where do i find my login details for the Eddie Application?

It's your login name with your login password.

It's that time of year again guys and gals

@salacronix I'm sorry, I don't know. But feel free to create your own thread regardless .

@ironmikezero Thank you, that's excellent to hear!

@JimTheOwl That sort of thing is usually in the Guides/How-To section of my guide. There's a discussion about it for MacOS here. A how-to for GNU/Linux here. Regardless of OS, it is NOT recommended. If you only hibernate your PC instead of shutting it down completely and Eddie stays on, then at least on Linux and Windows, you won't need to re-enter a password.

Besides all that, I thought it could be fun to summarise some of the biggest things which happened with AirVPN in 2018. There's no newsletter that I know of and since I basically live on the forums anyway, then why not help everyone else keep track of the biggest changes, since they're so easy to lose sight of . I might do it again next year if it's worth it.

AirVPN in the year 2018

Happy New Year to everyone

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

After starting out with only a few experimental servers, AirVPN successfully managed to upgrade all AirVPN servers to what is now called "Gen2" servers. These support the IPv6 protocol and other additions, such as "tls-crypt". Tls-crypt makes it much harder for outsiders to block or throttle a VPN connection. Here's an excellent explanation by Staff.

... Kitalpha being the only exception due to missing IPv6 support, rest of the features are there. Makes it a Gen1.9 server.

I'm beginning to like these summaries..

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

I've been trying to setup OpenVPN for just torrenting following the guide here, but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm on Windows 10 so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I get to the part making the .bat files,but trying to run OpenVPN after it fails to connect. I've also tried this guide but run into the same issue. There has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Hi,

Just a question, l keep looking for a tutorial or recommendation to install eddie in linux. BUtl  have not found any guide or tutorial, would you mind to hep with that? I installed quite easy in windows but l can not find any guide.

Thanks.

Time for the yearly, albeit this time small, update :)

@LMawery I hope you directed that question to a place like the general forum and received help. 
@Miguelden There's no tutorial for it, that's true. Assuming you're on Ubuntu/Mint/Similar, it's a matter of going to the download page and clicking download. Distros like the ones I mentioned, usually come with a built-in install wizard, just like Windows.
@Testlav Thank you. 

• We have a new moderator: giganerd. It was all but inevitable :). Congratulations. Now we're officially 3 community moderators. 
  • Since we continuously get the same questions about AirVPN sales, I've made a dedicated thread for it and removed the corresponding sales FAQ in the guide. This provides better visibility and options for asking questions.
AirVPN in 2019: 

Happy new year 2020.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

TL;DR
Where was the simple instructions on how to start the client?

Here's a very specific tip:
Recently I downgraded from MacOS 11 (Big Sur) to MacOS10.15.6 (Catalina) and discovered that no matter what I did, or what version I used, Eddie just would not even launch.
Then I discovered that, somehow, I had reinstalled Catalina on case-sensitive volumes.
This was completely a slip of my non-opposable thumb I guess but out of any other option I took the plunge and cleanly reinstalled the OS. Lo and behold I have a launch-able app once more.
That is it really,
B !!

Posted ... (edited)

All in one bash script airvpn, without ipv6 for possible leakage

I installed eddie-client and saved the netlock (iptables) with: iptables-save > iptables.rules

So one can restore the iptables state with: iptables-restore < iptables.rules

This way once you have the working settings you don't need eddie-client. 

Furthermore you could automate some stuff:

#!/bin/bash

#empty /etc/resolv.conf in order to start fresh

sudo cat < /dev/null > /etc/resolv.conf

#copy dns config connection without vpn

cp /etc/resolv.conf.bak /etc/resolv.conf

#flush all existing rules and the ones who are possibly conflicting

sh /home/shad0wfax/Documents/flush.sh
openvpn --config /home/shad0wfax/Downloads/AirVPN_Netherlands_UDP-443.ovpn 
sudo iptables-restore < /home/shad0wfax/Documents/iptables5.rules
sudo ip6tables-restore < /home/shad0wfax/Documents/ipv6block.rules
sudo /home/shad0wfax/Documents/dnstun0.sh
exit 0

Where dnstun0.sh is:

#!/bin/sh
netstat="/bin/netstat"
grep="/bin/grep"
echo="/bin/echo"
gw=$(netstat -rn | grep '^\(default\|0\.0\.0\.0\)' | awk '{print $2}') 
echo $gw > /home/shad0wfax/Documents/dnstun0.txt
tun0="/home/shad0wfax/Documents/dnstun0.txt"
x=0
for ip in $gw
 do
  while [ $x -le 0 ]
  do
  $echo "nameserver $ip" >> /etc/resolv.conf
  x=$(( $x + 1 ))
  echo "done!"
  done
done

ipv6block.rules is:

*filter
-P INPUT DROP
-P FORWARD DROP
-P OUTPUT DROP

COMMIT

eg: ip6tables-restore < ipv6block.rules

Edited ... by shad0wfax

3 hours ago, shad0wfax said:

gw=$(netstat -rn | grep '^\(default\|0\.0\.0\.0\)' | awk '{print $2}') 

Just a small remark: net-tools is not installed by default on some distros while iproute2 is by now installed on all. I suggest using that instead.

gw=$(ip -4 -o r | grep default | cut -f3 -d " ")

Also note that your DNS anti-leak via resolv.conf won't work with systemd-resolved if it's used, which is the case on at least Fedora.

3 hours ago, shad0wfax said:

sh /home/shad0wfax/Documents/flush.sh

This one is missing from your listings. :)

Hi all.
I was wondering, is it possible to set Eddie to use a specific Device set in AirVPN configuration?

For example, I can create a "device_1" for my phone, and create OpenVPN config file for it, and set OpenVPN to use it. Once my phone connects to AirVPN, it's session is correctly shown in dashboard.

Now, I create a "device_2" for my computer. Where can I set Eddie to use this other device when connecting? Right now, Eddie just connects to "Default" device, which is "device_1".

I can do this using OpenVPN on my computer with a generated config file. In that case, my computer correctly appears as "device_2" in AirVPN Sessions dashboard. But I'd like to know if it's possible to do the same in Eddie? Maybe import .ovpn file into Eddie somehow? The documentation is rather sparse.

Thank you!

38 minutes ago, kvlada said:

Where can I set Eddie to use this other device when connecting? Right now, Eddie just connects to "Default" device, which is "device_1".

That's actually straightforward. If you login, you will see a drop-down menu in Eddie for PC and a button in Eddie for Android to select the key you want to use, on the very first "screen" you're shown.