as a few in here seem to not care for America

didn't even make a comment on that, someone calling American

citizens stupid in a signature and a few other posts

went back redid the posts i took down, figured right thing to do

if it helps others, wasn't right for me to take stuff down like that

whether i stay a customer or not won't happen again

in the two decades been online rarely had a problem with anyone

i'll go out of my way to avoid problems but maybe you should redirect

your comments to the other guy lets take for example this thread shall we?

i posted up like mentioned before someone else's hard work

(don't want to be a copyright troll ya know)

and added some current configs i use for the user.js

another member steps in, tells me how to post as that person does

a lot of that with others also

after months of it it gets old

so not sure what to say really, if i got a bit vulgar my bad on that

sometimes i still think every place is a combat zone or my ptsd flares up

i'll put airvpn ahead of myself on this one, here's the deal, if it's better

i go just close my account and give what days i got left to someone else

new i'll find another vpn place to roll my packets

cheerz

note: yeah the about:config 'url' is a good one, back up your directory before removing too many at one time

as it can brick the browser, also search for 'remote' 'media' 'update' etc all the main search engines of course

plus even the social media stuff, they are in there also

May a few users of uBlock please post their filter configuration if it differs from OmniNegro's? Just to see if there are other healthy combinations I can use.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

hi all.
does uBlock Origin replaces noScript and AdBlock Plus or should I still continue to use all three. Is Request Policy replacing all the above mentioned?
I'm triying to minimize my add-ons because newest FireFox versions are destroying my laptop performanse especialy if I have too many add-ons. my current ones are:

Navigational Sounds
SmoothWheel
Download Manager
Dcurrency  
Download YouTube Videos as MP4
Password Exporter
Secure Login
BetterPrivacy
AdBlock Plus
no script
Cookies Manager+
Self-Destructing Cookies
WorldIP
Calomel SSL Validation
Tab Mix Plus
XMarks (only for bookmarks)

BTW I'm also using TOR. it comes with very little add-on like noscript out of box. should I add some privacy/security ones like Self-Destructing Cookies, BetterPrivacy,... or I should't touch it?

thanks.

does uBlock Origin replaces noScript and AdBlock Plus [...] Is Request Policy replacing all the above mentioned?

It replaces ABP. For replacing NoScript/Request Policy, see uMatrix.

SmoothWheel

Isn't this already a FireFox preference? Preferences > Advanced > General > Browsing: Use smooth scrolling.

Dcurrency

I know that Windows 7 and Windows 8(.1) with the help of 7GadgetBar or whatever it's called have a very good gadget for this. There are also desklets for Cinnamon and most probably for other Linux DEs as well. If you aim to reduce your addon footprint definitely try to outsource this to the desktop.

BetterPrivacy

Cookies Manager+

Self-Destructing Cookies

Three addons doing the same thing? I'd stick with the latter and eliminate the rest.

WorldIP

This addon seems to do too much. I use Flagfox which shows a flag icon of the server's location. Also, its lookup possibilities can be manually edited, so instead of linking to some GeoIP site of the FlagFox devs I configured it to link to IP-API. Quick links to Google Web Cache, Google Translate, Isitdown, SSL-Labs, that sort of things to round up quick lookup potential.

There are also a few addons I'd rather not use but I understand why you would.

I'd use Privacy Badger instead of those three cookie/privacy managers.  Eff.org made/endorsed and very customizable.

I use Cookies Manager+ for restoring small list of cookies (for some forums) I need when I enter firefox because it's set-up to clean everything on exit, and Self-Destructing Cookies I'm using for real time destruction of cookies except small white-list.

BetterPrivacy I had for ages. Doesn't it do something that Self-Destructing Cookies don't?

I removed WorldIP, Calomel SSL validation and Smoothwheel.

BTW Smoothwheel has a nice function for scrolling with mouse wheel, you have 3 speeds; normal one, ALT+scroll for fast and SHIFT+scroll for slow.

thanks all

BetterPrivacy

Cookies Manager+

Self-Destructing Cookies

Three addons doing the same thing? I'd stick with the latter and eliminate the rest.

I must point out that they do not do the same thing. BetterPrivacy is aimed at the so-called undeletable cookies used by nonsense you should not have like Adobe Flash. Most browsers are incapable of dealing with this type of garbage, and most extensions are not able to either. The only reason at all that I use BetterPrivacy is that it seamlessly handles LSO cookies just as easily as normal ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_shared_object

And here are the points BetterPrivacy has about them:

- they are never expiring - staying on your computer for an unlimited time.

- by default they offer a storage of 100 KB (compare: Usual cookies 4 KB).

- browsers are not fully aware of LSO's, They often cannot be displayed or managed by browsers.

- via Flash they can access and store highly specific personal and technical information (system, user name, files,...).

- ability to send the stored information to the appropriate server, without user's permission.

- Flash applications do not need to be visible

- there is no easy way to tell which Flash-cookie sites are tracking you.

- shared folders allow cross-browser tracking, LSO's work in every flash-enabled application

- the Flash company doesn't provide a user-friendly way to manage LSO's, In fact it's incredible cumbersome.

- many domains and tracking companies make extensive use of Flash-cookies.

The Self Destructing Cookies extension makes it possible to use a site that requires cookies to work without having to manually purge everything it gave you afterwards. The other one? I have not heard of it yet.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

I'd use Privacy Badger instead of those three cookie/privacy managers.  Eff.org made/endorsed and very customizable.

I agree and support Privacy Badger, but they do not yet have a means of dealing with the things these extensions handle. It may in time, but at this point it cannot touch cookies of any sort to my knowledge. (It may block domains from making cookies if you set it for that, but the cookies that are already there are untouchable to it.)

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

I didn't know about LSO cookies at all. Learn something great on this site every day. I have flash disabled, but it's still interesting.

what about TOR add-ons?

should I at least add Self-Destructing Cookies or is TOR already shredding all the cookies in real time?

BetterPrivacy is aimed at the so-called undeletable cookies used by nonsense you should not have like Adobe Flash.

LocalStorage is fully supported by Self-Destructing Cookies. Again, why do I need three addons doing the same thing?

BetterPrivacy is aimed at the so-called undeletable cookies used by nonsense you should not have like Adobe Flash.

LocalStorage is fully supported by Self-Destructing Cookies. Again, why do I need three addons doing the same thing?

I checked and you are right. But I recall it to be quite different. Either I started with BetterPrivacy way before Self Destructing Cookies came out, or I added SDC and did not think to remove BP. Thank you for pointing this out.

*Edit* Deleted the post. This extension is useless. uBlock has the solution well in hand already. See later posts for the details.

Oh. Here is another extension I have used for years, but somehow did not include in the original post.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-google-analytics/

As the name suggests, it has exactly one purpose. It blocks Google Analytics entirely. There are other ways to do this, but most of them will break some sites out there. Your call.

Last Updated: February 12, 2014

In fact it has more chances to break your recent Firefox than sites. Especially when in 2017 FF will be multi-processed and most addons started refactoring their design already.

There are at least 3 API changes in Google Analytics I know of that Google changed since 2014. One of them is the change from now obsolete ga.js to analytics.js:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/

A more proper way in my opinion would be a uBlock Origin rule for all cross domain and 3d party requests to Google.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Actually it seems this extension is not only outdated, but entirely useless as uBlock already has this and even a fix for pages that require GA to work. See here for details.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Experimental-filters

So make sure "uBlock filters - Experimental" as well as "uBlock filters - Privacy" are toggled on. And there is no need for anything else to block Google Analytics.

I will edit out the link above. That addon is beyond useless today. Thanks again zhang888.

Hello!

The plugin Privacy Settings is quite a nice tool for quickly changing many of the about:config firefox settings really quickly!

Just thought I'd share that, in case it hasn't been said.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Actually it seems this extension is not only outdated, but entirely useless as uBlock already has this and even a fix for pages that require GA to work. See here for details.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Experimental-filters

So make sure "uBlock filters - Experimental" as well as "uBlock filters - Privacy" are toggled on. And there is no need for anything else to block Google Analytics.

I will edit out the link above. That addon is beyond useless today. Thanks again zhang888.

Therefore it is also redundant to stack uBlock with experimental and privacy filters and Ghostery on top of each other was well, would you say that is correct?

Hello!

The plugin Privacy Settings is quite a nice tool for quickly changing many of the about:config firefox settings really quickly!

Just thought I'd share that, in case it hasn't been said.

Indeed it is. I have not mentioned how to configure it yet, but so far no-one has asked, and the one-click buttons on the bottom seem to simplify that much and work for almost everything. (It is in the original post. But you are right to mention it. It needs more love.)

Therefore it is also redundant to stack uBlock with experimental and privacy filters and Ghostery on top of each other was well, would you say that is correct?

Yes. I have not used Ghostery since I learned they are collecting and selling user information. While I loved their addon at one time, they could not stay afloat without money, and no-one was donating, so they did the only thing they could.

I will throw this addon into the mix for anyone interested:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-resource-uri-leak/

Using it myself.

is it just me or does enabling blocking of chrome:// URIs break things?

Not for me. Go into the addon's settings and check if the addon's main feature and the option beneath it, the one "recommended for privacy", are enabled. If yes, the problem is related to something else.

is it just me or does enabling blocking of chrome:// URIs break things?

Not for me. Go into the addon's settings and check if the addon's main feature and the option beneath it, the one "recommended for privacy", are enabled. If yes, the problem is related to something else.

yes, it's that setting that breaks the vertical scroll bar for me.  also breaks some pfense web configurator things - the logon page fields for username and password are gone and the ability to expand text fields to see more by clicking and dragging is broken.  if nobody else has this problem then I suppose it's a combination with something else that's relatively unique to me.