Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.45.92
OmniNegro

Widevine Content Decryption Module by Google

What are your thoughts? Is this more spyware? Or is this a better option that things like Silverlight for playing video via HTML5?

Should it be disabled if you are not immediately using it? Or should it be disabled altogether?

I do not trust Google. But it does work well for things like Amazon Prime Video.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

This is a much better option compared to Silverlight and Flash.

Silverlight had dozens of remote code execution vulnerabilities which were used by exploit kits, so you

should remove it, unless you want to get infected with ransomware from some compromised ad.

http://www.broadanalysis.com/2016/03/21/silverlight-exploit-leads-to-teslacrypt-cve-2016-0034/

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Widevine is new to Firefox 47. It uses HTML 5 so it is most certainly full of useless DRM.

An interesting detail is that Youtube played in Firefox with this does not use this module so far as I can see even when using the HTML5 rendering.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

I recently started facing issues in my Netflix streaming which was due to Widevine content decryption module. I came to know about this thing later. On deep research, I found that it's necessary & not harmful for Chrome in any way.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:10 PM, OmniNegro said:

What are your thoughts? Is this more spyware? Or is this a better option that things like Silverlight for playing video via HTML5?

Should it be disabled if you are not immediately using it? Or should it be disabled altogether?

I do not trust Google. But it does work well for things like Amazon Prime Video.

It is a digital rights management (DRM) technology provider for the Google Chrome web browser, Android MediaDRM, Android TV, and other consumer electronics devices. It can be spyware. Google is unpredictable can trust it too. but what we can do, the only plus point I see about it is it helps us in streaming things. 

I've started learning about widevine content decryption module online. I found one simple and working trick if it is spyware. and that trick is to disable it when you are not using it.