Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.228.237

how to accept DNS push requests for dummies

hi, i'm unable to use eddie so connect to airvpn using the terminal. however, this means that my system uses my ISP's dns servers and not airvpn dns servers. the guide on how to accept push requests mentions that I need to add the following to my openvpn configuration file:

Add to your OpenVPN configuration file(s), either in field "Custom Directives" of the Configuration Generator or by editing the configuration directly, the following lines:

script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down
/etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

now please know that I am a dummy. i have tried putting this script into different openvpn files but have had no luck. could someone tell me exactly in which file this goes and exactly where in the specified file?

i've also looked at the config generator but cannot find the "customs directives" field.

thanks for any help

Which OS are you using?

By default, the OpenVPN client accepts all DHCP options from the server, which includes DNS.

Warning: OpenVPN on GNU/Linux and *BSD does not take into account DNS push. It needs manual scripting to do so, update-resolv-conf script is included in several OpenVPN packages and can be used on every system that has resolvconf package available and installed.

Kind regards

now please know that I am a dummy. i have tried putting this script into different openvpn files but have had no luck. could someone tell me exactly in which file this goes and exactly where in the specified file?

It goes in ALL of them.

i've also looked at the config generator but cannot find the "customs directives" field.

In the section "3. Connection Modes", near the end of the page, check the "Advanced Mode" box. The "Custom directives" text entry box will now be down and to the right of there.

hi, i'm unable to use eddie so connect to airvpn using the terminal. however, this means that my system uses my ISP's dns servers and not airvpn dns servers. the guide on how to accept push requests mentions that I need to add the following to my openvpn configuration file:

Add to your OpenVPN configuration file(s), either in field "Custom Directives" of the Configuration Generator or by editing the configuration directly, the following lines:

script-security 2

down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

thanks for any help

If you are on Linux. then you need to download and install the resolvconf script package from your distro's resository/package management program.  The up/down resolvconf script options need to be added to every  AirVPN*.ovpn you use.

A work-around is to get resolved server ips in your .ovpn files from the configurator - it is an option.  Then connect to AirVPN and manually input AirVPN nameserver 10.4.0.1 and/or nameserver 10.5.0.1 in resolv.conf.  

If you are on Linux. then you need to download and install the resolvconf script package from your distro's resository/package management program.  The up/down resolvconf script options need to be added to every  AirVPN*.ovpn you use.

A work-around is to get resolved server ips in your .ovpn files from the configurator - it is an option.  Then connect to AirVPN and manually input AirVPN nameserver 10.4.0.1 and/or nameserver 10.5.0.1 in resolv.conf.  

Note for clarifications to the readers: resolvconf is not a script, it is a program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolvconf

The OpenVPN script which uses resolvconf program to handle DNS according to OpenVPN server DNS push is update-resolv-conf and it is usually included in OpenVPN package (if not, you can find it online).

Kind regards

Everything works fine (no DNS leak) when I add this in my .ovpn file:

script-security 2
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
But after I am connected with AirVPN.  I get a problem with my local dns resolver.
Everytime when I use "sudo" I get following message:
sudo: unable to resolve host "xxx!: Name or service not known

I presume that the local dns is notworking when I am connected to AirVPN using the update-resolv-conf.

Does someone know how to change the update-resolv-conf that also the local dns resolution is working?