Not connected, Your IP: 54.227.104.229

I am not an expert with networking issues therefore the question.

If I am using AirVPN service with my ASUS 88U router w/latest Merlin firmware build, can I use the same UDP or TCP  443 .ovpn file (same server location) for Client1 (AppleTV4) and Client2 (PC) using Policy Rules without having Ip routing issues?

If I cannot have each client using same UDP 443 file or TCP file can I use UDP/TCP 443 file but with a different server for each?

I read somewhere you can't Port Forward two seperate devices to same port.  I know I am not using the port forward feature to use OpenVPN in router but just asking since I am confused on the matter.

Also, I noticed when I have Client1 using UDP 443 (Dallas) .ovpn and Client2 using UDP 443 (Miami) .ovpn and run a speed test (Ookla) on the CLient2, the IP address that Ookla reports is the Client1 UDP 443 (Dallas) instead of the UDP 443 (miami) IP (the correct IP it should be reporting).

How to fix this issue?

Thanks.

you're running two openvpn clients on the same router?

Yes, according to OpenVPN within the Asus 88U router using latest Merlin firmware I can run up to 5 clients with their own list of devices that can be included or excluded from that VPN client connection.

You can connect up to 3 devices but to different servers.

The issue you are reporting is that one client sets its own default gateway.

You can configure it with policy based routing and define which LAN client (Your PCs) will

use which gateway, Merlin supports it.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

please explain why you need to run more than 1 openvpn client with the policy routing that Merlin has created.  Just route the LAN clients you want through VPN, route LAN clients you don't want through the VPN  through WAN (not VPN). 

read the documentation that comes with the firmware for information on how to use policy routing, e.g. CIDR formatting of IP ranges.

you can do a range that covers your whole LAN, then create exceptions to that rule for a few clients.

You can configure it with policy based routing and define which LAN client (Your PCs) will

within the router OpenVPNClient Tab I have Client1 Policy rules ON and rule to route AppleTV through VPN using Dallas .ovpn file.  I have Client2 Policy rules ON and rule to route PC through VPN using one of the Miami .ovpn files.  They are both working fine within the tunnel, the issue I have noticed is if I use ipleak or doileak for the Client2 (PC) it shows the AppleTV Client1 Dallas DNS IP address along with the Client2 Miami IP address.  

How is the AppleTV VPN Client1 Dallas server IP leaking into the Client2 PC Miami server connection when testing at the two above leak sites?

I have both WAN and LAN router DNS settings set using 10.4.0.01 Primary and an OpenNic DNS as Secondary.  Why would the Client1 AppleTV Dallas server IP address show up as the DNS IP when I do a leak test on the Clients (PC) VPN connection?

within the router OpenVPNClient Tab I have Client1 Policy rules ON and rule to route AppleTV through VPN using Dallas .ovpn file.  I have Client2 Policy rules ON and rule to route PC through VPN using one of the Miami .ovpn files.  They are both working fine within the tunnel, the issue I have noticed is if I use ipleak or doileak for the Client2 (PC) it shows the AppleTV Client1 Dallas DNS IP address along with the Client2 Miami IP address.  

How is the AppleTV VPN Client1 Dallas server IP leaking into the Client2 PC Miami server connection when testing at the two above leak sites?

I have both WAN and LAN router DNS settings set using 10.4.0.01 Primary and an OpenNic DNS as Secondary.  Why would the Client1 AppleTV Dallas server IP address show up as the DNS IP when I do a leak test on the Clients (PC) VPN connection?

If they are both connected to same router, since 10.4.0.1 is the universal DNS IP used on AirVPN server it likely connects you to both of the servers DNS in this instance.

please explain why you need to run more than 1 openvpn client with the policy routing that Merlin has created.  Just route the LAN clients you want through VPN, route LAN clients you don't want through the VPN  through WAN (not VPN). 

read the documentation that comes with the firmware for information on how to use policy routing, e.g. CIDR formatting of IP ranges.

you can do a range that covers your whole LAN, then create exceptions to that rule for a few clients.

That is what I did.  But I don't always want my PC running through a VPN, only the AppleTV.  So I set Client1 Policy Rule as AppleTV using one AirVPN server and Client2 Policy Rule as PC using a different AirVPN server than the AppleTV.  That way I can turn on or off the PC VPN tunnel when I want simply by sliding the Service state to ON/OFF.

Maybe my prior explanation wasn't clear, that is my fault.

The issue I am having though  is when both Clients (AppleTV and PC) are turned on through router to use VPN when I do a dns leak test on the PC it shows the AppleTV AirVPN server IP as the PC's DNS IP.  It shouldn't do that.  The PC DNS leak test should only show the AirVPN server IP for the PC not the AppleTV AirVPN server IP.

If they are both connected to same router, since 10.4.0.1 is the universal DNS IP used on AirVPN server it likely connects you to both of the servers DNS in this instance.

How do I fix this issue?  The PC DNS leak test is showing the DNS IP as the AppleTV Dallas AirVPN server IP 23.88.xxx.xx.  That strikes me as very odd since AppleTV and PC are two seperate clients setup on seperate AirVPN servers through the OpenVPN Clients Tab in Merlin

How do I fix this issue?  The PC DNS leak test is showing the DNS IP as the AppleTV Dallas AirVPN server IP 23.88.xxx.xx.  That strikes me as very odd since AppleTV and PC are two seperate clients setup on seperate AirVPN servers through the OpenVPN Clients Tab in Merlin

It might be that the router is getting confused, if the Dallas server was the first one to connect it's likely when it queries for 10.4.0.1 on the router that's the server it connects to.

It might be that the router is getting confused, if the Dallas server was the first one to connect it's likely when it queries for 10.4.0.1 on the router that's the server it connects to.

Any fix for this that you are aware of?  Is there some way to make sure each OpenVPN client using the router won't get the wrong IP when a DNS leak test is done?  I have static IP's for each device setup within the router and on each device.

Any fix for this that you are aware of?  Is there some way to make sure each OpenVPN client using the router won't get the wrong IP when a DNS leak test is done?  I have static IP's for each device setup within the router and on each device.

No fix that I'm aware of no, but if you'll indulge my curiousity try setting the DNS to an outside one for both clients, and do a DNS leak test since I'm not 100% it's the reason you are getting the wrong server as DNS but technically it makes sense that's the issue, if we would know for certain it would be easier to figure out a fix for