Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.6.77
iflyskyhigh

Choosing the Best Server

Hi community,

Been using AirVPN for a couple years. Very happy. No issues. Except for port forwarding I've always used AirVPN at the simplest level, but I'm curious about using some of the more advanced features of the platform.

Just curious about choosing the best / fastest server at any given time. Or maybe I'm just curious what causes the server to be the best one at any given time? Not sure.

I have noticed when using Eddie on my Mac, and I let it automatically pick the server it tends to pick a Canadian server for me even though I'm in the US. When I have the servers sorted by faster, the Canadian ones are always at the top of the list. When I have it sorted by latency the US ones are at the top of the list. The same hold true on my when using OpenVPN on iOS and the an "Americas" config generated UDP file. I assume when I am using the "Americas" file it OpenVPN is just picking the fastest server?

On a simple level I understand why the US ones are at the top of the latency list, cause I'm closer, right? So why doesn't low latency translate into the fastest server?

When should latency be the priority vs speed and vise versa? Should I be picking servers based on what I'm doing? Or is it always best to let Eddie / Open VPN choose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latency is Respond time

Bandwith is How fast you get something through ( as in size like 1MB / s )

then theres too the server usage they consider 

Like this qoute of Air vpn

In what order does the client choose recommended servers?

The client continously pings each server of the VPN service, and also computes a 'score' that provides a rank of every and each server.
A lower score indicates a better server.
Scores are computed on following parameters: average ping; average load; recent disconnections or failed retries; known issues; ISP reliabilty.

Source https://airvpn.org/topic/11208-in-what-order-the-client-choose-recommended-servers/

i hope i could help you

It does. Thanks. I did read the FAQ. I guess my real question is when do I care about latency vs bandwidth, or should I? Should I just not worry about it and let the client choose the best server unless I need a server in a specific region for some reason? Thanks again for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does. Thanks. I did read the FAQ. I guess my real question is when do I care about latency vs bandwidth, or should I? Should I just not worry about it and let the client choose the best server unless I need a server in a specific region for some reason? Thanks again for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latency is Important for Voice calls via Internet , Games , Live streams ( but more Bandwith )

Downloads and streaming is pure bandwith ( witha  tad latency based )

but you really shouldnt worry i live in germany i used other vpns Prior to air vpn and allways did use Netherland gave me the best overall performance ( since for some reason german server did worse as NL allways ) allways and now the air vpn client Automaticly chooses Netherland here too. so it seems to work Nice.

TL;DR / Short

The client does really good work at finding you a good server. just use it automatic.

and change only if you need a Specific one.

HI there,

I found this post to be along the lines of what I have been wondering myself today - I just joined Airvpn in the last 2 days and I am also a newbie with regards to vpn - ploughing through all the information in the forums is sometimes confusing and overwhelming especially when it gets overly technical - Like most things information technology related, there is usually never one simple and concise answer for anything. No negativity implied just feeling lost sometimes.

I am in Australia and Eddie keep choosing a server in Canada - I don't really get it. I would think Hong Kong and Singapore would be better because they are closer. I have also found that Hong Kong and Singapore can be really patchy and cut in and out, or they keep saying 0 b/s...... another thing I never truly understand - they don't seem to have too high a load...?

I live in hope that I will soon figure something out !

HI there,

I found this post to be along the lines of what I have been wondering myself today - I just joined Airvpn in the last 2 days and I am also a newbie with regards to vpn - ploughing through all the information in the forums is sometimes confusing and overwhelming especially when it gets overly technical - Like most things information technology related, there is usually never one simple and concise answer for anything. No negativity implied just feeling lost sometimes.

I am in Australia and Eddie keep choosing a server in Canada - I don't really get it. I would think Hong Kong and Singapore would be better because they are closer. I have also found that Hong Kong and Singapore can be really patchy and cut in and out, or they keep saying 0 b/s...... another thing I never truly understand - they don't seem to have too high a load...?

I live in hope that I will soon figure something out !

Hello!

Geographical proximity sadly doesn't always mean it's the best, as it depends on the connections and other things, between the two points . So maybe Australia has a lot of fast lines between Canada and itself, but none to HK, thus making Canada faster/better. Or maybe the ISP you use happens to be better connected with one or the other and so forth. I also don't think Air has many Asian users and/or users which need Asian servers; thus the low load . While if you compare with European servers... .

Welcome to AirVPN yet again. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.