Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.233.189
mehāniskākaravīrs935

Are VPN's Intentionally Blocked On Public WiFi?

Hello community, just wanted to ask your opinion, when VPN's are blocked on public wifi services (mall, airport, coffee shop etc.) is it done with the malicious intent to enforce the AUP or monitor their users activities for their own self defined reasons (aka i have the right to see your shit so imma snoop through all day because i can). Really, what are your feelings on public VPN blockages in general? Are they hurting privacy minded users by blocking VPNs? etc

they do it so that they can control how users use their network.  it's not malicious.  the reason is liability. 

Which leads me to my next question. If VPN servers use your current network as a passthrough to another network, why is the passthrough network the one that takes it up the ass when it comes to legal issues?

they do it so that they can control how users use their network.  it's not malicious.  the reason is liability. 

Which leads me to my next question. If VPN servers use your current network as a passthrough to another network, why is the passthrough network the one that takes it up the ass when it comes to legal issues?

Usually it does not. Apart from considerations of liability exemptions due to mere conduit status, safe harbors and similar terms used in other legal frameworks, usage of a VPN tends to reduce to zero any liability of the original "passthrough" network, because traffic is encrypted and any third-party entity sees any infringement coming from the VPN, not from the "passthrough", physical network.

Usually, as far as we can understand, different reasons lead to protocol/applications blocking: marketing reasons (for example profiling purposes, ads through packets injections, DNS poisoning for a myriad of reasons - all of them become impossible with a VPN) and traffic management (effective traffic management becomes virtually impossible with a VPN).

Kind regards

i have connected with vpns on public networks i honestly have never seen any places block vpns

Its quite rare, yes but it does happen. i actually tested a mall and every stores free wifi and i was only unable to connect through two stores in the entire mall. So all is not lost, its just an emerging trend that i find to be disturbing.