Not connected, Your IP: 3.230.1.23
arc00

Gigabit internet service

I now have AT&T fiber optic gigabit service at home. The increase in speed when I use AirVPN is quite small.

Without the VPN I have download and upload speed of approximately 900 Mbits/second, with air VPN I get about 4 Mbits down and 36Mbits up.

The following is the result I got with the tool on this site using  Alphard which is a Gigabit server: 

Down: 17.684 Mbit/s Out, 1.702 Mbit/s In (9%), 10MB - Up: 2.517 Mbit/s Out, 2.582 Mbit/s In (102%), 10MB - Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 17:55:45 GMT - Buffers: 10MB/10MB - Laps: 3, Time: 355.30 secs

Can AirVPN handle gigabit traffic?  Is there some setting that needs to be fixed?  Open to any suggestions.

Thanks

In order to achieve such speed you will need a dedicated appliance for networking, with a modern CPU capable of AES-NI.

pfSense is a good option for such connections, as you can see some of the members get 298.9 Mbit/sec right now at the moment of writing.

A full gigabit is still not something you can usually except to get on a single WAN connection that travels through many ISPs.

Your measured download/upload speed was probably done on your local ISP or a very nearby servers, with multiple HTTP sessions open.

You also mentioned AT&T, which is a U.S. based ISP, and Alphard which is in the Netherlands. Trans-atlantic speeds decrease even more,

so for your case it would be better to try with some of the Canada servers, for example.

OpenVPN however is still limited to single core and is not multi-threaded by itself. Something that might change in 2.4/3.0 at some point.

For now, try improving your configuration by adjusting the buffer sizes.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

In order to achieve such speed you will need a dedicated appliance for networking, with a modern CPU capable of AES-NI.

pfSense is a good option for such connections, as you can see some of the members get 298.9 Mbit/sec right now at the moment of writing.

A full gigabit is still not something you can usually except to get on a single WAN connection that travels through many ISPs.

Your measured download/upload speed was probably done on your local ISP or a very nearby servers, with multiple HTTP sessions open.

You also mentioned AT&T, which is a U.S. based ISP, and Alphard which is in the Netherlands. Trans-atlantic speeds decrease even more,

so for your case it would be better to try with some of the Canada servers, for example.

OpenVPN however is still limited to single core and is not multi-threaded by itself. Something that might change in 2.4/3.0 at some point.

For now, try improving your configuration by adjusting the buffer sizes.

I think this is a matter of ISP throttling.  But, testing to nearer servers is in order first. 

Try switching the socket send and receive buffers to 256kb instead of the preset 128. If that shows some improvement but you don't get your full speed then try 512kb.

To do this go to AirVPN client preferences, advanced, and then switch them to 256kb.

I have a very fast connection as well and this solution the AirVPN staff gave me worked perfectly.

Give it a try!

As for your gigabit connection speeds. I would like to say... you are a lucky SOB!

P.S. Beware of this.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/03/at_t_gigapower_the_company_wants_you_to_pay_it_not_to_sell_your_data.html