Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.186.170
Littlemexican

Plug and play pfsense box

Hi All,

I was just looking for a plug and play pfsense router and I found this amazing product:

https://www.ovpn.se/en/box

Its to bad it's from a another VPN provider but I just asked the support and they say that every OVPN config file will run on it.

I now have a Asus ac3200 200/20 mbit connection with VPN I got 40mbits and I hope the speed are much higher with this router.

Has anyone experiences with this product and idea what speed I would get ?

I hope the airvpn config files will run smootly on it.

Btw Air thanks for the new servers!!!!!

Hi All,

I was just looking for a plug and play pfsense router and I found this amazing product:

Its to bad it's from a another VPN provider but I just asked the support and they say that every OVPN config file will run on it.

I now have a Asus ac3200 200/20 mbit connection with VPN I got 40mbits and I hope the speed are much higher with this router.

Don't look at it. It's just rebranded cheap Chinese box. You can buy much cheaper:

https://world.taobao.com/item/37480079350.htm?fromSite=main

However DON'T buy this for OpenVPN anyhow. Celeron 1037U doesn't have AES-NI acceleration (AES-NI - natively accelerates encryption and is crucial to VPN performance). You won't get much better results with this than with You router. And opvn.com or whatever they are calling themself is selling bullshit saying that it can encrypt 600mb/s according to OpenSLL bechmark (they even don't tell what encryption algorithm they tested). Right now, my Celeron 3570 pfSense box, with AES-NI can encrypt/decypt 4GBit/s AES-256 (theoretically) in OpenSSL tests, while tops 150MBit/s in OpenVPN. They are selling snake oil. Don't trust them. It's marketing. I doubt if it's even capable of pushing 600Mbit/s through their cheap network interfaces straight from WAN to LAN, without OpenVPN and unencrypted.

See, for example pfSense benchmarks of their boxes:

https://store.pfsense.org/C2758/

This one can push 208Mbit/s UDP AES-256 OpenVPN traffic. This is real world expectation.

Anyhow. If You wan something cheap I recommend something like this:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci323-nano

It's know to work well with pfSense:

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=103841.45

(however don't except wireless working on pfSense box). For wireless You still need some acess point. But Asus AC3200 will be OK. However somehow expensive access point

This is bare bones. Buy ~4GB of RAM, some smallest SSD You can find (32GB would be more than enough for simple use, 64GB would be plenty). Install pfSense Yourself.

If You need some assistance drop a message here. We will try to help.

regards

And don't even look at this shiny box. It's bullshit.

Hi All,

Don't look at it. It's just rebranded cheap Chinese box. You can buy much cheaper:

However DON'T buy this for OpenVPN anyhow. Celeron 1037U doesn't have AES-NI acceleration (AES-NI - natively accelerates encryption and is crucial to VPN performance). You won't get much better results with this than with You router. And opvn.com or whatever they are calling themself is selling bullshit saying that it can encrypt 600mb/s according to OpenSLL bechmark (they even don't tell what encryption algorithm they tested). Right now, my Celeron 3570 pfSense box, with AES-NI can encrypt/decypt 4GBit/s AES-256 (theoretically) in OpenSSL tests, while tops 150MBit/s in OpenVPN. They are selling snake oil. Don't trust them. It's marketing. I doubt if it's even capable of pushing 600Mbit/s through their cheap network interfaces straight from WAN to LAN, without OpenVPN and unencrypted.

This one can push 208Mbit/s UDP AES-256 OpenVPN traffic. This is real world expectation.

(however don't except wireless working on pfSense box). For wireless You still need some acess point. But Asus AC3200 will be OK. However somehow expensive access point

This is bare bones. Buy ~4GB of RAM, some smallest SSD You can find (32GB would be more than enough for simple use, 64GB would be plenty). Install pfSense Yourself.

regards

note that those throughput numbers by pfsense are WITHOUT AES-NI or quickassist.  not sure why they would test without but I suppose it's to show the baseline possibility. 

Hi All,

regards

Hi karaznie,

Thank u so much for ur help! I almost bought this sh*t ..

Do you have any idea what kind of speed u get with the ZBOX CI323 nano?

I am looking about a Pfsensebox who can get a speed about 80mbits /150mbits. I only want to use it to run a VPN I don't need wifi, the Asus router works like a charm. My budget is Max €300.-

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for ur help!

Btw just tested OVPN and it  is really crap  

Hi karaznie,

I am looking about a Pfsensebox who can get a speed about 80mbits /150mbits. I only want to use it to run a VPN I don't need wifi, the Asus router works like a charm. My budget is Max €300.-

I have the same processor (however custom bulid box). I can get ~150mbit/s with AirVPN. I would expect to have this level of speeds with zbox. If You would like to have some higher speeds You may take a look at some core i3/i5 boxes. However realistically with VPN this may be limit. Remember that it's not only You, it's also processing power on Air side, lots of factors comes to play.

regards

Keep out from unofficial pfSense box. As karaznie suggested, it is better to buy an official pfSense box or build one. In pfSense forums you can find a lot of suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)

Hi karaznie,

I have the same processor (however custom bulid box). I can get ~150mbit/s with AirVPN. I would expect to have this level of speeds with zbox. If You would like to have some higher speeds You may take a look at some core i3/i5 boxes. However realistically with VPN this may be limit. Remember that it's not only You, it's also processing power on Air side, lots of factors comes to play.

regards

I am really thinking to buy the ZBox. I just found a other i3 Pfsensebox http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smallest-pc-Mi3227-with-intel-core-i3-dual-lan-4-usb2-0-1-serial-port-intel/32477833565.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.2.4nkulQ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_2_10017_10034_10021_507_10022_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_1&btsid=4d43171c-3ff9-402c-b02f-0af7db2d6579

But it looks to good to be true

Is it also possible to use Zbox for openvpn ONLY? Pfsense is not really my thing and I would like to use my Asus to do the routering.

My setup is: ISP > Router > Pfsense (only vpn) > clients

Thanks in advance

Is it also possible to use Zbox for openvpn ONLY? Pfsense is not really my thing and I would like to use my Asus to do the routering.

Thanks in advance

Mmm bad choice.

Let use asus as AP only and let pfSense do routing/firewalling and VPN....pfSense does them a lot better than any other consumer box.

I use my Netgear R7000 as AP only.

Another advise, avoid Realtek NIC.....pfSense should work fine but better Intel NIC.

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

Thanks in advance

Mmm bad choice.

Let use asus as AP only and let pfSense do routing/firewalling and VPN....pfSense does them a lot better than any other consumer box.

Another advise, avoid Realtek NIC.....pfSense should work fine but better Intel NIC.

but pfSense is also half a fortune where netgear you can get for free with most ISPs here.

Depends on needs or personal availability.

I don't trust on consumer routers/firewalls. I need to manage my home lan with tens of clients with fine grain settings....then I am an IT enthusiast and I love to build stuff like Media Players, NAS and routers....

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

I don't trust on consumer routers/firewalls. I need to manage my home lan with tens of clients with fine grain settings....then I am an IT enthusiast and I love to build stuff like Media Players, NAS and routers....

I don't trust them either, and most of us on here are IT enthusiasts, the pfSense is useful but expensive the average salary here is 450$ and the smallest pfSense box is 300$, and sure you can build it yourself you'd save a bit but fact is the parts needs to be imported and paid for which means you are coming close to 250$ maybe so that's 50$ saved a lot here but not really that big a difference so there's the choice of saving for a year without internet or have a free router lol. Then again if you can show me somewhere it'd be about 80-100$ I'm all ears.

I don't trust them either, and most of us on here are IT enthusiasts, the pfSense is useful but expensive the average salary here is 450$ and the smallest pfSense box is 300$, and sure you can build it yourself you'd save a bit but fact is the parts needs to be imported and paid for which means you are coming close to 250$ maybe so that's 50$ saved a lot here but not really that big a difference so there's the choice of saving for a year without internet or have a free router lol. Then again if you can show me somewhere it'd be about 80-100$ I'm all ears.

Unfortunatelly cannot help.....my pfSense box based on Supermicro A1SRi-2558 cost me 650€, included 8GB ECC RAM and 80GB intel SSD (datacenter grade). Of course I respect the budget constraints of everyone.

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

Unfortunatelly cannot help.....my pfSense box based on Supermicro A1SRi-2558 cost me 650€, included 8GB ECC RAM and 80GB intel SSD (datacenter grade). Of course I respect the budget constraints of everyone.

650€ xD my point exactly I only make 60000₽ which is about 800€ and over half that goes to bills, loans and server payments which usually leaves me with 10000₽(135€) left to spend on non-essentials, still more than most but with an expensive hobby as video games and hardware and software as mine it ain't really that much in the end.

Thanks in advance

Mmm bad choice.

but pfSense is also half a fortune where netgear you can get for free with most ISPs here.

half a fortune?? I built a pfsense box for $127 USD.  That's cheaper than a good consumer router.

cheapest AMD APU the store had but still has AES-NI, motherboard that was free after rebate, refurb HDD, cheap 2GB stick of RAM, cheap case, and an extra NIC that I already owned.  So, maybe you can't find the same type of stores where you are but it still shouldn't be half a fortune.

Thanks in advance

Mmm bad choice.

half a fortune?? I built a pfsense box for $127 USD.  That's cheaper than a good consumer router.

cheapest AMD APU the store had but still has AES-NI, motherboard that was free after rebate, refurb HDD, cheap 2GB stick of RAM, cheap case, and an extra NIC that I already owned.  So, maybe you can't find the same type of stores where you are but it still shouldn't be half a fortune.

If you read my later posts as well, I pointed out how even if I were to build myself the import prices would be insane, but if you like I'd be happy to hear the exact specs you used and I'll find the cheapest of them I can, but stores here don't sell seperate hardware it's always import

Thanks in advance

Mmm bad choice.

If you read my later posts as well, I pointed out how even if I were to build myself the import prices would be insane, but if you like I'd be happy to hear the exact specs you used and I'll find the cheapest of them I can, but stores here don't sell seperate hardware it's always import

already posted in the setup thread.

https://airvpn.org/topic/17444-how-to-set-up-pfsense-23-for-airvpn/?p=40268

Several users of Air use pfSense, I am one of them and I love it, I also have a asus rt-n66u not AC but a pretty damn good router. After I made the switch my asus is just and AP and it works great.

pfSense box is expensive but you have to think that the people behind pfsense have to make money somehow. Small Cisco ASA is about 750USD, so 750 compare to 300 is a good deal. However even better is the fact that you can get pfsense for free and run on your own hardware is awesome.

my pfsense cost me 265, why? i over spent on a case, need lots of ram, needed and ssd, needed an over kill power supply. But im happy