Not connected, Your IP: 3.239.206.191

I was a member of another VPN in the past and they also offered email service "only accesible from inside the VPN". Nobody could login if they were not using this vpn.

I was thinking about it and Airvpn, maybe it's an interesting feature to many of us here.

Correct, besides hosting your email with a VPN provider will inevitably require logging, because this is how SMTP works.

This would also require keeping a local copy of your emails, in order for you to have access to them from other devices.

Operating such service also opens a gap for potential court subpoenas, something ProtonMail explained in their blog.

The better approach would be a self hosted email, from a reputable project like:

https://mailinabox.email

Or, if it's for multiple accounts, iRedMail:

http://www.iredmail.org

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Someone requested this in the past. Unfortunately I can't say what the reaction of the community was.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Correct, besides hosting your email with a VPN provider will inevitably require logging, because this is how SMTP works.

This would also require keeping a local copy of your emails, in order for you to have access to them from other devices.

Operating such service also opens a gap for potential court subpoenas, something ProtonMail explained in their blog.

The better approach would be a self hosted email, from a reputable project like:

https://mailinabox.email

Or, if it's for multiple accounts, iRedMail:

http://www.iredmail.org

Or you could require PGP even with local copies they are encrypted also the e-mail account could have to be a seperate one from VPN account. But I agree better making your own

If you want secure encrypted email check out Proton Mail. They don't keep the crypto keys, only you have them. All the encryption is done on your machine...they just host the encrypted mail.

If you want secure encrypted email check out Proton Mail. They don't keep the crypto keys, only you have them. All the encryption is done on your machine...they just host the encrypted mail.

Unless they offer to use my own domain they wouldn't be for me.

Yes, Protonmail is not the ultimate in email security, its just pretty darn good....and works flawlessly....and is easy to use. Just like using any VPN, ultimately there is the element of trust; you have to be willing to trust that Protonmail or any VPN is doing what they say they are doing, if they are lying then you have 0 security. That's why reputation is important. What's needed is something like a web-of-trust for vpns and any other privacy service.

If Protonmail complied with a court order all they could turn over is encrypted emails...not readable by TLOs or LE.I don't remember their TOS if they log any connection or routing metadata, but presumably not.

I've tried to keep my email separate from my VPN.

Tutanota, protonmail (mentioned above) and riseup, all offer free emails accounts; tutanota and protonmail and posteo offer paid accounts, as well. If you are willing to install certificates, Autistici/Inventati offer accounts - but you have to apply.

I checked all the servers with ssllabs server test (yes, a grain of salt). All receive A+, except Autistici/Inventati, which receive B - but that is because they use a bespoke crypto approach.

I would be keen to hear what others think about these email services. 

I've tried to keep my email separate from my VPN.

Tutanota, protonmail (mentioned above) and riseup, all offer free emails accounts; tutanota and protonmail and posteo offer paid accounts, as well. If you are willing to install certificates, Autistici/Inventati offer accounts - but you have to apply.

I checked all the servers with ssllabs server test (yes, a grain of salt). All receive A+, except Autistici/Inventati, which receive B - but that is because they use a bespoke crypto approach.

I would be keen to hear what others think about these email services. 

Tutanota provides own domains so that's something, but 5 aliases? not enough sadly, also they are making a phone I like the idea but it's a closed operating system which means it's idiot proof but security is not an idiot proof thing you need to be advanced and locking the phone, might as well wipe an android phone and put CyanogenMod on with no gapps and you got a secure phone right there.

Hi there Edenspire

Thanks for your reply. I've been mulling over the tutanota supported phone....I like the idea. But did not know about the CyanogenMod...thanks for the tip!

Riseup gives you an unlimited number of aliases. 

T.

I primarily use Posteo. Best email service. Of course it depends on what you are looking for, but Posteo explains why certain features are not there. For example, you can't use your own domain with them simply because they'd need to save your personal data to offer this feature. they know what they're doing.

I'd argue, if your service is not transparent about its practices and security measures, you should never make it your primary service. Maybe that's why A/I and Riseup never made the "primary rank" for me.

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

I primarily use Posteo. Best email service. Of course it depends on what you are looking for, but Posteo explains why certain features are not there. For example, you can't use your own domain with them simply because they'd need to save your personal data to offer this feature. they know what they're doing.

I'd argue, if your service is not transparent about its practices and security measures, you should never make it your primary service. Maybe that's why A/I and Riseup never made the "primary rank" for me.

Yes posteo was decent, but I didn't like the domain myself and like I've argued before they can't save personal data if you don't give it. Like I said above Security is not an idiot proof thing.

In german law, it's not an option. You need to give it and they'd need to save it.

In german law, it's not an option. You need to give it and they'd need to save it.

I'm using a german service and they haven't asked for it, regardless even if they ask they can't verify it, so just put something random and they can save it all they want it doesn't change anything.

If you mean a domain provider, it's most probably a shady business.

No I mean e-mail provider, my domain provider is godaddy, but they can't verify either.

No I mean e-mail provider, my domain provider is godaddy, but they can't verify either.
They can't verify because you have privacy turned on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

No they can't verify because they don't have access to government databases.

She probably has got something like this:

1.-privacy.jpg

She probably has got something like this:

I have privacy by proxy hiding fake information, yes. And like I said they can't verify whether it's real or not.